WEST INDIES v ENGLAND

Wolfie20

Think this series is going to be painful for England- the Windies have some young fast bowlers who have already shown their intent. Can't understand why we went into the match with 2 spinners - makes me think there's nobody in the England set-up capable of reading a pitch.

Latest - in their 2nd innings, the WI no.8 batsman has already scored more than the entire England 1st innings ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was tempted to dig out the cricket thread yesterday but I didn’t dare in embarrassment. 

Fair play to the Windies but an underwhelming (to say the least) batting performance from us again. 

Hoping for a couple of players to show up in the second innings and put a decent score on, it’s all about how we lose from here. 

Pretty demoralising this... I'd wager the pitch won't look as flat as this when we come to bat again.

It's alright the commentators suggesting that Broad should have played ahead of Foakes (player of the series in Sri Lanka) or Curran (player of the series last summer) but it's clear to me that Rashid is the man who shouldn't have been picked when Root trusts himself to bowl ahead of Rashid!

With that said 77 all out is nothing to do with Broad not being picked, but that for once our lower middle order couldn't dig the team out of the mess that our top order keeps on creating.

Much was made of Englands' series win over Sri Lanka with many 'expert's predicting a successful trip to the West Indies. England might turn things around (though I doubt it) but Sri Lanka must currently be near the bottom of the international pile - even just losing by over an innings to the Aussies. 

A very good one-day and 20/20 side but the present squad doesn't have the quality or technique for test match success at the very highest level.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the two sides in the first two tests has been real pace. It's great being able to rely on Anderson and Broad, but sometimes there is no substitute for aggressive "They don't like it up 'em" searing pace. Mark Wood gave us that today in a superb, hostile spell.

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Not sure but here is Root's response. 

One of the best diplomatic responses I have ever heard from a professional sportsman. Well played, Joe Root.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived