Jon Obi Mikel - Signed for Boro

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

At 31, I’m open to this as long as it’s a fairly short-term deal. 

Also, do Boro really need another CDM? Thought they already had about eight players for that position. 

Pulis will buy a player not really caring what position he plays, just so long as he's 6ft 12in!

54 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Are we really interested though? 

I wouldn't have imagined so.  We have Tom Huddlestone and George Evans who Lampard rates.  Plus Max Bird seems to be next in line to come through.

Even if we were interested Boro will probably offer a good wage given they are still in receipt of Premier League money so we wouldn't be able to compete.  I would imagine/hope if we were looking to sign someone else there would be other priorities.

18 hours ago, 86 points said:

This would be more awesome than I can vocalise. Mikel would absolutely boss midfields at Championship level. I'm quite happy with short-term contracts as it seems the lowest risk versus the biggest possible reward. Hard to attain value in any Jan window so if Frank can pull in a few favours then all well and good. 

Yeh - I genuinely don't understand when people don't understand relative scales of 'good' - People who say "well he wasn't good enough for Chelsea so why would we want him?" ?

By the same logic - Anyone who bangs goals in for a championship club should be able to do it in the Premier League - Anyone who looks good in the Championship should be good enough for the top sides in the Premier league - That sounds like nonsense doesn't it? So why do people not understand that the reverse is often true?

David Jones - Never going to even be close to the Man Utd team - Aces for us - Same with Danny Higginbotham

On the evidence so far Mikel would be an improvement on Evans so I'd snap him up ASAP

If these ex-Chelsea stars come in and get us promoted then we'll all forget the 'I thought we were developing youth' comments.

Get into the Prem and we're a billion times better off.

Getting out of the Championship is getting harder and harder each year - lets just get promoted by hook or by crook and then we can then write long term plan.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh - I genuinely don't understand when people don't understand relative scales of 'good' - People who say "well he wasn't good enough for Chelsea so why would we want him?" ?

By the same logic - Anyone who bangs goals in for a championship club should be able to do it in the Premier League - Anyone who looks good in the Championship should be good enough for the top sides in the Premier league - That sounds like nonsense doesn't it? So why do people not understand that the reverse is often true?

David Jones - Never going to even be close to the Man Utd team - Aces for us - Same with Danny Higginbotham

On the evidence so far Mikel would be an improvement on Evans so I'd snap him up ASAP

Could not agree more. By the same virtue, Andriy Shevchenko, or presently, Mesut Ozil, wouldn't be able to cut it in the Championship.

What makes this case all the more laughable is that a significant number of top managers disagree. Yes, Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti, Guus Hiddink and Sir Alex Ferguson (who fought tooth and nail to buy Mikel before he joined Chelsea) consistently thought he was good enough to play at the top of the Premier League, in the Champions League and in international competitions like the World Cup - but a bunch of keyboard warriors don't think he'd be up to facing Rotherham in the Championship. Go figure.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

That’s why I wouldn’t want us to sign Kevin De Bruyne, rather keep Bryson

10 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

According to The Sun he's a done deal with Boro both Derby and Villa tried to hijack the deal using Frank and Terry's Chelsea connections to swing the deal .Turned them both down if they are to believed. 

I can't see that being true, it's just a fanciful story.

Either play for Lamps/Terry or that managerial legend Tony Pulis.

Archived