Emiliano Sala

AdamRam

17 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Corporate legal advice to Cardiff fc would be not to pay a penny until all facts are considered - they have done the right thing. These are exceptional circumstances . 

Not saying they shouldn’t pay but they are right to wait until all circumstances are clear - it shows an interesting state of desperation from Nantes that they have decided to take this public approach . It makes one wonder why they have done this 

FWIW I don't agree.  He was Cardiff's player at the time of the incident, I suppose the only circumstance worthy of note would be if they sabotaged the plane!  Unlucky for Cardiff but I damn sight more unfortunate for the 2 on the plane.  Buy a house and it burns down before you get to move in pretty sure you will be looking to your insurance to pay up rather then the vendor

23 minutes ago, Spanish said:

FWIW I don't agree.  He was Cardiff's player at the time of the incident, I suppose the only circumstance worthy of note would be if they sabotaged the plane!  Unlucky for Cardiff but I damn sight more unfortunate for the 2 on the plane.  Buy a house and it burns down before you get to move in pretty sure you will be looking to your insurance to pay up rather then the vendor

Your house was burnt down in very strange circumstances 

you would be happy to pay out large sums of money before the circumstances were clear 

I’m thinking you are a bit isolated on this one Spanish 

21 hours ago, RamNut said:

Its a tragic situation and shameful that Cardiff should renege upon their agreement with Nantes. Looks like cardiff are waiting to take legal action against third parties and seek potential damages before they will pay up. Disgraceful if true, and the football authorities should intervene.

the people who have come out of this with the most credit are the family and David Mearns, who undertook the underwater search for free despite the availability of private funding. He also went out of his way to avoid causing any embarrassment to the the official partners in the search operation, and allowed their vessel to verify the find.

There won't be any quick resolution.

This model of plane was apparently prone to problems with airspeed indicators operating correctly when encountering problems with ice. The plane could have stalled when attempting to descend. It is supposed to be a difficult plane to fly when encountering those sort of problems. So many have crashed in America that they are called 'Doctor Killers' in an apparent reference to the many wealthy amateur owner pilots who have lost their lives. 

That's what brought down the Air France 447 flight from Rio to Paris ,more common than you would like to think.

4 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

you would be happy to pay out large sums of money before the circumstances were clear 

you would have already paid and you would need to rely on your insurance

17 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

5 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

If the transfer has gone through and registered ,Cardiff's problem all day long.

This is my view so KK we must both be isolated

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

If the transfer has gone through and registered ,Cardiff's problem all day long.

i would think so. It does seem like there is potentially some negligence on the part of the agent or the original pilot that was hired, but I am not sure what they could do about it?

What I don't understand is talk Cardiff will be responsible for his contract for 3 years? Unless its written in that if he dies in service payments go to a beneficiary.

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

i would think so. It does seem like there is potentially some negligence on the part of the agent or the original pilot that was hired, but I am not sure what they could do about it?

What I don't understand is talk Cardiff will be responsible for his contract for 3 years? Unless its written in that if he dies in service payments go to a beneficiary.

In any big business vital /employees that bring in large revenue streams would normally be insured by key man insurance .I would imagine that clubs must have some form of insurance on players over and above injury cover .

Key man ensures replacement income / ability to replace skills by providing a lump sum to facilitate that. If Cardiff have some form of cover then I would imagine they would claim on it .

Edited by King Kevin

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

In any big business vital /employees that bring in large revenue streams would normally be insured by key man insurance .I would imagine that clubs must have some form of insurance on players over and above injury cover .

Key man ensures replacement income / ability to replace skills by providing a lump sum to facilitate that. If Cardiff have some form of cover then I would imagine they would claim on it .

Maybe he hadn’t been there long enough for that to have been sorted out properly. Imagine the shitty luck if someone in admin just thought ‘I’ll sort that out on Monday when he’s here.’

it’s a bit insensitive but he’s basically being talked about like an amazon package, despite the fact that he was a living, breathing human being. 

But if he was an amazon package, Cardiff have paid (or agreed payment), but the package got lost in transit. Is that the buyers fault, Amazon’s fault, or Hermes’ fault?

course that’s further complicated by the fact that he had actually gone to Cardiff, he was just going back for his final goodbyes. 

So had Cardiff actually ‘signed for the goods’.

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Maybe he hadn’t been there long enough for that to have been sorted out properly. Imagine the shitty luck if someone in admin just thought ‘I’ll sort that out on Monday when he’s here.’

it’s a bit insensitive but he’s basically being talked about like an amazon package, despite the fact that he was a living, breathing human being. 

But if he was an amazon package, Cardiff have paid (or agreed payment), but the package got lost in transit. Is that the buyers fault, Amazon’s fault, or Hermes’ fault?

course that’s further complicated by the fact that he had actually gone to Cardiff, he was just going back for his final goodbyes. 

So had Cardiff actually ‘signed for the goods’.

We are all commodities in the workplace ,I have always considered myself that way. I do a job get paid if I don't like it I move on .No matter how I feel about the company I do my best to the last day of working for them but I use them as much as they use me .

I made a distasteful joke earlier in this thread, which was rightly ignored.

I still don't think it's as bad as people arguing over who owes what to who in these circumstances though.

Nantes should forward onto his family a sum totalling what they've paid him over the last 3 years (circa £1.5m if sources are to believed), Cardiff should match that, and all agents involved should give up their money's owed as a result of the transfer and put it in the same pot, to recompense the family.

All other financial claims should be stayed, just do right by the man's family.

Sorry situation, but really you have to question Nantes’ motives. They have threatened legal action before the contractual payment deadline, which in business terms is very strange. 

On the outside it looks quite simple (discounting foul play) Cardiff and Sala signed the contract. Cardiff need to pay the agreed amount and should have their own insurance to cover the financial loss, as recompense. 

However it transpires the agent, who was acting on behalf of Nantes, is the one who booked the plane. This could leave the agent and ultimately Nantes open to a civil suit for damages from both Cardiff and the family in light of the initial  observations of the plane, and depending on the outcome of the crash investigation. 

8 minutes ago, R@M said:

Sorry situation, but really you have to question Nantes’ motives. They have threatened legal action before the contractual payment deadline, which in business terms is very strange. 

On the outside it looks quite simple (discounting foul play) Cardiff and Sala signed the contract. Cardiff need to pay the agreed amount and should have their own insurance to cover the financial loss, as recompense. 

However it transpires the agent, who was acting on behalf of Nantes, is the one who booked the plane. This could leave the agent and ultimately Nantes open to a civil suit for damages from both Cardiff and the family in light of the initial  observations of the plane, and depending on the outcome of the crash investigation. 

How can the agent be acting on behalf of Nantes when Sala was no longer their player. Had the flight been arranged to take the player to Cardiff to sign the contract then i could understand but from what I've read Sala (as a Cardiff player) had gone back to say his goodbyes with transport arranged by his agent.

Whatever the outcome, it's a really sad story but far too soon after the accident to be talking about money.

8 hours ago, King Kevin said:

That could be the problem. The insurance company will want to find a way to avoid paying out.

I just realised that the english agent who arranged the flight had asked to mediate on behalf of the club i.e. nantes. 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Confirmed as Sala on the plane.

I am quite surprised at that. Very tragic. R.I.P

great credit to the recovery team. They have done an incredible job to achieve a successful and dignified recovery.

It's a relief for the public media frenzy that the body recovered was the player not the pilot, as it means the player search isn't going to continue with the Argentine family clinging to false hopes. All terribly sad. Given it took two hours to find the plane on the seabed, it makes a bit of a mockery of the previous search efforts.

Cardiff had signed the player - he was no longer anything to do with Nantes. Unquestionably Cardiff will have to pay the full fee under the contracted payment schedule. Whether there is a way they can pursue money from third parties is up to them, but Nantes had sold him. If Cardiff hadn't sorted out their own insurance, then that's their problem.