Emiliano Sala

AdamRam

It is of course extremely sad for the player and his family, who are really the only ones who matter.

But I seem to remember that when the Chelsea guy Matthew Harding died in a light aircraft crash on his way home from a game in the '90's, the reaction was much more low key - which is sort of in-keeping with @Anon's thinking. The sight of Colin re-examining his entire life priorities is simply bizarre. We all surely suspect he will be letting forth streams of invective towards refs in the near future....

Oh, and I don't think it was Diana's fault for the outpouring. I blame Elton for that horrendous mawkish version of Candle in the Wind he did through floods of tears before vowing never to sing it again. It was all just bizarre how someone who was being so vilified was then more or less sainted. Until her shifty brother tried to cash in by building that memorial garden thing at Althorp and charging a wedge for admittance.

Such hypocrisy.....

15 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

It is of course extremely sad for the player and his family, who are really the only ones who matter.

But I seem to remember that when the Chelsea guy Matthew Harding died in a light aircraft crash on his way home from a game in the '90's, the reaction was much more low key - which is sort of in-keeping with @Anon's thinking. The sight of Colin re-examining his entire life priorities is simply bizarre. We all surely suspect he will be letting forth streams of invective towards refs in the near future....

Oh, and I don't think it was Diana's fault for the outpouring. I blame Elton for that horrendous mawkish version of Candle in the Wind he did through floods of tears before vowing never to sing it again. It was all just bizarre how someone who was being so vilified was then more or less sainted. Until her shifty brother tried to cash in by building that memorial garden thing at Althorp and charging a wedge for admittance.

Such hypocrisy.....

People are strange. And people are changing - as society's level of connectivity seems to just continue to grow exponentially.

In this day and age I can find out what some nobody "celeb" eats for breakfast without even looking for it. Actual news people just blurt it out, or its a ducking headline sitting on a news stand. That's properly insane.

It will stop being news to me once there's a confirmation of what's happened.

I haven't felt affected at all by all this (although it is a tragedy for his loved ones of course and I'd never want to suggest otherwise), I'm continuously being informed about people dying and I'm running out of energy to give any thought to the people I don't know.

I was a tiny child when Diana died & the aftermath, so I don't remember society beforehand, but I think how society is nowadays has had the opposite effect on me you and Anon are discussing. I've been entirely desensitised by it. Every day I'm told by multiple people that someone has died tragically. I just don't really care any more.

Still, no effort to offer condolences and all that, so I won't stop of course.

Edited by SaintRam

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Such hypocrisy.....

I guess when Matthew Harding died, the only place you’d hear about it was in a news paper, then it would literally be tomorrow’s chip paper. There would be no social media to organise mass mourning events, it would all just blow over really quicker. 

Now we’re able to see it pop up on our Facebook feed every 10 minutes, and discuss it in here, for that matter. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I guess when Matthew Harding died, the only place you’d hear about it was in a news paper, then it would literally be tomorrow’s chip paper. There would be no social media to organise mass mourning events, it would all just blow over really quicker. 

Now we’re able to see it pop up on our Facebook feed every 10 minutes, and discuss it in here, for that matter. 

Another good reason to avoid Facebook.........

quite apart from them using to personal data to bombard you with adverts for loads of old rubbish ?

I don't find anything particularly strange in the fact that people feel empathy with Sala. 

this whole thing was a great shock. He was a young bloke, on the cusp of a new adventure, and seemed genuinely likeable. Falling out of the sky into the freezing water is not a nice way to go. I suspect that the body in the plane will be the pilot and that sala will still be missing. The door of the aircraft is open. Did he try swimming for it, with cushions as makeshift floats? Who knows? Horrible way to go, and nothing wrong with fans being upset imo.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I don't find anything particularly strange in the fact that people feel empathy with Sala. 

this whole thing was a great shock. He was a young bloke, on the cusp of a new adventure, and seemed genuinely likeable. Falling out of the sky into the freezing water is not a nice way to go. I suspect that the body in the plane will be the pilot and that sala will still be missing. The door of the aircraft is open. Did he try swimming for it, with cushions as makeshift floats? Who knows? Horrible way to go, and nothing wrong with fans being upset imo.

That would only be the case if the plane had successfully attempted a controlled ditch into the water,surely?

If so, you'd expect the pilot would have also tried to escape.

Perhaps Sala adopted the brace position, and is at this moment unseen in the fuselage.

The only door is remote from the pilot. The pilot has to climb into the cockpit via the passenger seats. In the underwater photo the door is open. The person least likely to get out is the pilot. Either the accident opened the door, or an occupant opened the door. The open door will give a clear view of the passenger compartment. 

Its a tragic situation and shameful that Cardiff should renege upon their agreement with Nantes. Looks like cardiff are waiting to take legal action against third parties and seek potential damages before they will pay up. Disgraceful if true, and the football authorities should intervene.

the people who have come out of this with the most credit are the family and David Mearns, who undertook the underwater search for free despite the availability of private funding. He also went out of his way to avoid causing any embarrassment to the the official partners in the search operation, and allowed their vessel to verify the find.

There won't be any quick resolution.

This model of plane was apparently prone to problems with airspeed indicators operating correctly when encountering problems with ice. The plane could have stalled when attempting to descend. It is supposed to be a difficult plane to fly when encountering those sort of problems. So many have crashed in America that they are called 'Doctor Killers' in an apparent reference to the many wealthy amateur owner pilots who have lost their lives. 

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Its a tragic situation and shameful that Cardiff should renege upon their agreement with Nantes. Looks like cardiff are waiting to take legal action against third parties and seek potential damages before they will pay up. Disgraceful if true, and the football authorities should intervene.

the people who have come out of this with the most credit are the family and David Mearns, who undertook the underwater search for free despite the availability of private funding. He also went out of his way to avoid causing any embarrassment to the the official partners in the search operation, and allowed their vessel to verify the find.

There won't be any quick resolution.

This model of plane was apparently prone to problems with airspeed indicators operating correctly when encountering problems with ice. The plane could have stalled when attempting to descend. It is supposed to be a difficult plane to fly when encountering those sort of problems. So many have crashed in America that they are called 'Doctor Killers' in an apparent reference to the many wealthy amateur owner pilots who have lost their lives. 

Your knowledge of all things aviation has been both surprising (I don't really know why it's surprised me to be fair) and it's added a really interesting insight. To this and the Leicester owners thread.?

Do you fly or are you just really good with google?

I agree the bloke Mearns has been really classy.

11 hours ago, Anon said:

I already hate the way our media are framing this. "Nantes Demand Sala Fee". Why is this even a headline or a story? Did people seriously believe that Nantes would just waive the fee out of respect? "Cardiff stall on Sala payment" would be far more accurate.

'Stall' probably not the best choice of word in this situation.

Corporate legal advice to Cardiff fc would be not to pay a penny until all facts are considered - they have done the right thing. These are exceptional circumstances . 

Not saying they shouldn’t pay but they are right to wait until all circumstances are clear - it shows an interesting state of desperation from Nantes that they have decided to take this public approach . It makes one wonder why they have done this