Emiliano Sala

AdamRam

33 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

They might want to hide all those t-shirts saying ‘always a bluebird’, and maybe delete all the footage of the thousands of fans wearing them. 

I wonder if we could claim that the deal we struck for Nick Blackman is null and void. 

Nick Blackman only "died" on the pitch!

Sith Happens

If there is any truth then Cardiff aren't covering themselves in glory, but yet if their legal advisors have advised a way out I guess you can sort of understand them doing it, taking emotion out of it of course.

Not a pleasant situation though.

28 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

If there is any truth then Cardiff aren't covering themselves in glory, but yet if their legal advisors have advised a way out I guess you can sort of understand them doing it, taking emotion out of it of course.

Not a pleasant situation though.

This kind of behaviour is why people think football is just money obsessed - I understand why they're doing it but makes them look like the worst kind of scumbags - Held vigils with shirts or his name and image printed on it and then deny he was ever even a Cardiff player... 

I find this behaviour a LOT more unpalatable than the whole Leeds spygate thing - I would love to see the FA/FIFA/Someone slap a big old fine and/or point reduction on them for doing this - If this isn't bringing the game into disrepute I don't know what is 

I read last week it's not unusual at all for the League to reject the first draft of a playing contract.

They will ask the club to remove or amend contract clauses which are against the rules, or request further information etc, but they always allow the player to represent the club in the meantime, knowing the club have to alter terms to suit. This normally takes a few weeks at most.

Cardiff may well have a valid legal case, but I can't imagine the league or fellow clubs will be happy if this defence is allowed to stand. 

You'd have to shut the transfer window 2 weeks earlier, to give the league time to ratify the contracts, and the player wouldn't be able to play or even train in the meantime. Clubs could change their minds, deliberately not offering up an acceptable contract to avoid signing the player. Clubs may look back on results against teams who've signed a player close to the deadline, and wonder if that player had a valid contract at the time, and if not should the result stand?

For the above reasons, I'd imagine the PL will be leaning heavily on Cardiff to change their stance.

I'd imagine a compromise will be found where both Nantes and Sala's family will receive some compensation, but the fact it's come to this is a stain on Cardiff City FC.

They've put money ahead of principle, and in doing so have cast aside years of hard work from the people on the ground level of the club to turn around their image.

16 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Of course if "The Football Family"  actually gave a poo about one another as much as the outpourings of grief purport,  they'd quite easily have found a way to cover the transfer fee on behalf of Cardiff with a chunk left over for Salah's family.

Rubbish. Richard Scudamore's golden handshake was a far worthier cause.

19 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Of course if "The Football Family"  actually gave a poo about one another as much as the outpourings of grief purport,  they'd quite easily have found a way to cover the transfer fee on behalf of Cardiff with a chunk left over for Salah's family.

There's snow way I'd be happy for DCFC to plough money into that particular whip-round!  Feckem!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Does anyone know why players aren't insured against these sort of tragic - but extremely rare - eventualities?

I can imagine they are, but that early into a contract, it might not have been sorted out yet. I definitely think a lot of people will be learning some lessons from this situation and a few standard practices will be changed as a result. Getting insurance in place before the contract is signed will probably be top of the list. 

Youll always have people risking it for a biscuit though, on deadline day. Get the contract signed but for the love of god wrap him in cotton wool til we get the insurance in place. 

46 minutes ago, angieram said:

Does anyone know why players aren't insured against these sort of tragic - but extremely rare - eventualities?

34 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I can imagine they are, but that early into a contract, it might not have been sorted out yet. I definitely think a lot of people will be learning some lessons from this situation and a few standard practices will be changed as a result. Getting insurance in place before the contract is signed will probably be top of the list. 

Youll always have people risking it for a biscuit though, on deadline day. Get the contract signed but for the love of god wrap him in cotton wool til we get the insurance in place. 

I'd agree with the above... although I'm only guessing, of course.

I'm also of the understanding that, last time I read up on this story, a potential stumbling block appeared to include mention of alleged non-passenger licence/unqualified pilot etc.  A chartered flight with BA it was not!

Regardless of  any contracts, insurances being in place, and whoever arranged the flight etc, it may yet prove that said insurance would/could be invalid anyway.

I do believe "investigations continue", of course!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Without all the facts its a bit difficult to say. If he had fairly standard travel insurance that normally covers commercial flying only. This appears to have been a "private" flight so probably no cover there. Maybe he had personal whole life cover (not club dependent) again it would need special clauses for risky activity.

At club level you are into lawyer tennis between the protagonists and the apparent time gap between leaving one and joining another!

On a moral level its even trickier: Who "made" him go to Nantes that day? Was it personal choice? Did Cardiff know he was going? Who "made" him get on a non commercial flight? Who provide plane and pilot? Were any laws broken? 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Most businesses will have some sort of indemnity insurance that covers these types of eventualities, I’d be very surprised if not given for example Derby have an “injuries” policy in place.

As with every insurance payout, legal advisors will try to explore every avenue, so unfortunately whilst it doesn’t look great it should not really come as a great surprise.

Really not sure what it has to do with a reflection on football, they will have the policy in place to cover them for such eventualities and not sure why they would be expected to plough in millions of pounds for something that is being driven by legal teams, wouldn’t be any different in any other business imo.

Just hope the outcome is satisfactory for all.

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

So the tragic death of a man has turned into a money war. What a great advert for football.

Agreed mate , Cardiff are not coming out of this smelling of roses , they said and did the right things when he died , but their actions now are leaving a sour taste in the mouth

Thanks for the answers. I just thought all employers had some sort of life cover for employees. Although I can't imagine the premiums for such expensive assets!

I think some famous film star had her legs insured for several million dollars and would have thought football would be the same.

The value of the players is high but this sort of risk is very small.

I agree with your points about whether the unorthodox means of travel could have invalidated any insurance, though.

This is a tragic incident with absolutely no winners, whatever the legal outcomes.

Sith Happens

According to the BBC they believe the Pilot wasnt legally allowed to fly at night time because he had colour blindness.

This story will go on and on. I suspect Cardiff have set their sights on the wrong target trying to get out of paying by citing facts relating to the contract, their target surely has to be the method of travel and whomever the responsibility lies with for that.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

According to the BBC they believe the Pilot wasnt legally allowed to fly at night time because he had colour blindness.

This story will go on and on. I suspect Cardiff have set their sights on the wrong target trying to get out of paying by citing facts relating to the contract, their target surely has to be the method of travel and whomever the responsibility lies with for that.

They'll try anything. Ultimately they have no intention of paying. 

The flight arrangements seem somewhat strange in hindsight and Dave Henderson - the original pilot who arranged the plane the flight might be bricking it - but cardiff and warnock had used him before and he's not a commercial pilot either. So it seems like a weak case to me unless ultimately the replacement pilot can be proved to have been at fault.

Personally i don't think that the pilot was the cause of the accident. 

The radar record of the last two minutes of the flight is extraordinary. The plane was going up and down, falling 1100 feet in 25 seconds,  then climbing 500 feet in 25 seconds, then falling again 500 feet in 25 seconds.....before finally plummeting into the sea at over 150 mph. The plane itself surely has to have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure.

i'm reminded of sala's last words that “I’m scared....i'm in the plane and it looks like it’s going to fall apart".

Sith Happens
25 minutes ago, RamNut said:

They'll try anything. Ultimately they have no intention of paying. 

The flight arrangements seem somewhat strange in hindsight and Dave Henderson - the original pilot who arranged the plane the flight might be bricking it - but cardiff and warnock had used him before and he's not a commercial pilot either. So it seems like a weak case to me unless ultimately the replacement pilot can be proved to have been at fault.

Personally i don't think that the pilot was the cause of the accident. 

The radar record of the last two minutes of the flight is extraordinary. The plane was going up and down, falling 1100 feet in 25 seconds,  then climbing 500 feet in 25 seconds, then falling again 500 feet in 25 seconds.....before finally plummeting into the sea at over 150 mph. The plane itself surely has to have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure.

i'm reminded of sala's last words that “I’m scared....i'm in the plane and it looks like it’s going to fall apart".

Maybe not, but i guess i could go out have 3 or 4 pints, drive home and a kid walk out in front of me from behind a van, the kid dies, i end up inside purely on the basis i had a drink even though if i was sober there is a good chance the outcome would have been the same.

I guess you could argue about reaction times and you would be right, but you could also argue that if the pilot shouldnt fly at night then the plane might not have had the same failure because of conditions, or even had it done so in day light conditions the out come 'may' have been different.

Both scenarios are ifs and buts of course.

I do think knowing how vocal Warnock is, that had there not been the accident and the PL had stated after the deadline that the paperwork wasnt quite right and he had to return to Nantes, then he would have been going off about it and punishing 'poor old cardiff' forever and a day on talksport etc.

You just know he would.