Emiliano Sala

AdamRam

1 hour ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

They are guilty of being knobs. Nothing illegal in that. Otherwise the prisons would be overflowing !

However, it does make you wonder what goes through the heads of such morons. 

I was about to post something very similar. So I will. They are knobs. Everyone’s a knob at some point in their lives. 

The unforgivable bit is how stupid they are. For the sake of a bit of banter, they spent a Saturday afternoon watching their team loose to a last minute goal, and then receiving a life time ban. 

As stupid moves / bad days go, that’s about as stupid as a moment of pleasure, followed by a lifetime of being an enexpected dad. 

25 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was about to post something very similar. So I will. They are knobs. Everyone’s a knob at some point in their lives. 

The unforgivable bit is how stupid they are. For the sake of a bit of banter, they spent a Saturday afternoon watching their team loose to a last minute goal, and then receiving a life time ban. 

As stupid moves / bad days go, that’s about as stupid as a moment of pleasure, followed by a lifetime of being an enexpected dad. 

Southampton have confirmed they will be banned. So matter dealt with and Southampton have made it clear they don't condone it. The other good thing if you watch the video is other fans getting the attention of the stewards to bring it to their attention.

Like you say people behave like knobs. Is it any worse than our fans chanting wheres your chairman, or other fans chanting about philpott etc. Probably not.

Sadly some people don't seem to have the intelligence to know where the line is that stops something going from acceptable banter to something more distasteful. I would imagine those two Southampton fans were expecting many others to join in, thankfully they didnt.

On 08/02/2019 at 10:51, StivePesley said:

Seems almost certainly to just be an "act of god" for insurance purposes. The weather was terrible and the pilot had already radioed ahead asking to make an emergency landing. So that makes it even more contentious in terms of getting a payout

It would be horrible, given the outpouring of grief from Cardiff fans over a player they never saw play, if this just ended up in a nasty argument over money

It may not be deemed an act of god. 

Negligence could be argued on multiple factors.

what was the weather report at the time of leaving? What was the state of the plane? Did the pilot have a commercial license and qualified to take passengers?

Negligence in law is defined as

the defendant owed them a duty of care;  the defendant was in breach of that duty; the breach of duty caused damage and;

the damage was not too remote.

Clearly there could be a case. As the agent arranged the flight, and the agent was employed by Nantes, there could be 1,2 or 3 defendants. 

Put it like this, if you have agreed to buy something, and the company you are purchasing the product from are still moving the product around and they subsequently damage it, would you pay for it?

The competence of the pilot will inevitably beq an issue. The record of the  accident states that the pilot was flying by visual flight rules.

The flight was conducted under visual flight rules (VFR, "V" in flight plan) which is unusual for a PA46 aircraft and what explains the low cruising altitude, also unusual for the pressurized, de-iced and turbocharged aircraft. 

Visual flight rules mean that the pilot determines speed and altitude visually, and it is not appropriate for poor weather conditions. 

This is the accident report for a similar Piper Malibu crash.....

The noninstrument-rated private pilot was conducting a visual flight rules (VFR) cross-country flight while receiving VFR flight following services from air traffic control. Radar data and voice communication information indicated that the airplane was in cruise flight as the pilot deviated around convective weather near his destination. The controller issued a weather advisory to the pilot concerning areas of moderate to extreme precipitation along his route; the pilot responded that he saw the weather on the airplane's NEXRAD weather display system and planned to deviate around it before resuming course. About 3 minutes later, the pilot stated that he was around the weather and requested to start his descent direct toward his destination. The controller advised the pilot to descend at his discretion. Radar showed the airplane in a descending right turn before radar contact was lost at 2,900 ft mean sea level. There were no eyewitnesses, and search personnel reported rain and thunderstorms in the area about the time of the accident.

Review of weather information indicated that the pilot most likely encountered instrument meteorological conditions as the airplane descended during the last several minutes of flight. During this time, it is likely that the pilot became disoriented while attempting to maneuver in convective, restricted visibility conditions, and lost control of the airplane. The transition from visual to instrument flight conditions would have been conducive to the development of spatial disorientation; the turning descent before the loss of radar contact and the in-flight breakup are also consistent with a loss of control due to spatial disorientation.

Just read an interview with the Cardiff City Chairman saying that if they are contractually obliged to pay the transfer fee to Nantes then they will do.

Why wouldn't they be contractually obliged? If the guy was killed by walking infront of a bus would they be having the same argument 

10 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Just read an interview with the Cardiff City Chairman saying that if they are contractually obliged to pay the transfer fee to Nantes then they will do.

Why wouldn't they be contractually obliged? If the guy was killed by walking infront of a bus would they be having the same argument 

It is a terrible situation and it would be nice to think money isn't a consideration but realistically it is, if you take sentiment out of it.

Once Cardiff pay its gone. I think its a valid question to ask how on earth he ended up on a flight like that when commercial options were clearly available.

It just seems ludicrous what happened, i cant get my head around what the benefits were of taking the flight he did.

Its horrible whatever but in the cold light of day i get Cardiff looking at whatever opportunity they may have not to pay.

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

Irrelevant,  unless he was told to sit in the path of the bus by Nantes? Did Nantes also hire the bus and was the driver qualified to drive the bus? I’d suggest the same conversation would be had. 

I am generally not a fan of Cardiff, but think it is a sensible decision to wait on outcomes from the investigation and possible court action before paying a penny. 

Also, should the thread title now be changed?

29 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

If true then maybe a bit underhand by the agent, but its obviously a common practice. You agree the price, you pay it.

Had the 'inflated' price been too much then you walk away. You pay what you think the player is worth surely.

Maybe all of  the players Cardiff have sold should be looked into to to see if the Agent has embellished the truth to get a better deal.

Its really difficult. I can understand, when sentiment is taken out of it, Cardiff doing what they can to avoid payment, surely most clubs would but sadly someone is going to lose out financially here.

41 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Would Cardiff have gone down this route if there hadn't been this terrible accident? Whether or not they are legally obliged to pay is a case for others to decide, but surely the amount is the amount that was agreed between the two clubs? Perhaps we can claim a refund on part of the BJ and Butterfield transfers ??

10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Would Cardiff have gone down this route if there hadn't been this terrible accident? Whether or not they are legally obliged to pay is a case for others to decide, but surely the amount is the amount that was agreed between the two clubs? Perhaps we can claim a refund on part of the BJ and Butterfield transfers ?

Exactly we paid over the odds for both because the agents and clubs involved knew we were desperate.

We were happy to pay the only people we can blame our ourselves, likewise Cardiff..for the amount paid.

I think the only avenue Cardiff have is deciding if there was any negligence with the form of transport.

18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Would Cardiff have gone down this route if there hadn't been this terrible accident? Whether or not they are legally obliged to pay is a case for others to decide, but surely the amount is the amount that was agreed between the two clubs? Perhaps we can claim a refund on part of the BJ and Butterfield transfers ??

I was always told a deals a deal,if you’ve agreed it you honour it.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

If true then maybe a bit underhand by the agent, but its obviously a common practice. You agree the price, you pay it.

Had the 'inflated' price been too much then you walk away. You pay what you think the player is worth surely.

Maybe all of  the players Cardiff have sold should be looked into to to see if the Agent has embellished the truth to get a better deal.

Its really difficult. I can understand, when sentiment is taken out of it, Cardiff doing what they can to avoid payment, surely most clubs would but sadly someone is going to lose out financially here.

the agent was acting on behalf of Nantes to get the best deal. The emails to Sala also reveal that he didn't really want to go to cardiff. He wanted a move to a better premier league club. The agent explained that there wasn't any other interest, and any disappointment he felt was their fault as they leaked the fictitious stories about everton and west ham to 'generate interest'. But they re-assured him that he would get a better move in the future, and that Warnock liked him because he was a typical English centre forward. Thats standard.

the agents were simply trying to help him, and offered to organise a flight with a third party that they had obviously used many times before.

I think the problems began with regards to the time of the flight. Mckays son asked sala what time he wanted to fly back and he said  9pm. They came back to him and asked if he could make it earlier as the pilot had to fly on to the north of england. I suspect that the time of the flight was the reason for the possible change of pilot. Even after that there may have been confusion over the time of the flight, as it was reported that the pilot was up early in readiness for a 7.30 am flight back, not the 7.30pm flight that sala had agreed. He then had to wait around all day. 

another strange aspect was the agents comment that sala's mother could receive £1m. Not sure how that could come about but this is the murky world of football transfers. I thought that all payments to agents etc had to be declared as part of the transfer form. Where the £1m cut comes from is obscure.

Sadly accidents such as this come about due to a combination of circumstances and errors. One of those errors was presumably the time of the flight and another was the choice of pilot. Incidentally when sala asked what the cost would be, he was told 'nothing'. He might have thought it was a freebie from a grateful agent but we now know that the reason that there is no charge is because the private pilot was not licensed to carry paying customers. Therefore it seems as though from the outset, that the pilot was never going to be a commercially qualified pilot. Again maybe that is normal but I think i would want to know that if i was sala. there was no reason for any secrecy. Probably just too many third parties involved. 

Cardiff may blame the agent for negligence in the flight arrangements, and may therefore be unwilling to pay that bit of the transfer that equates to his fee. Similarly they might blame Nantes for arranging sala's return for a series of goodbye events. But it would be shocking to attempt to renegotiate the agreed fee now on the basis that they had been misled.

This suggests that they have no intention of paying the agreed fee.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

That is a great find, makes you wonder if the BBC are unaware of it's existence?

I doubt whether they are. This would surely have made the news.

On 17/02/2019 at 13:24, RamNut said:

the agent was acting on behalf of Nantes to get the best deal. The emails to Sala also reveal that he didn't really want to go to cardiff. He wanted a move to a better premier league club. The agent explained that there wasn't any other interest, and any disappointment he felt was their fault as they leaked the fictitious stories about everton and west ham to 'generate interest'. But they re-assured him that he would get a better move in the future, and that Warnock liked him because he was a typical English centre forward. Thats standard.

the agents were simply trying to help him, and offered to organise a flight with a third party that they had obviously used many times before.

I think the problems began with regards to the time of the flight. Mckays son asked sala what time he wanted to fly back and he said  9pm. They came back to him and asked if he could make it earlier as the pilot had to fly on to the north of england. I suspect that the time of the flight was the reason for the possible change of pilot. Even after that there may have been confusion over the time of the flight, as it was reported that the pilot was up early in readiness for a 7.30 am flight back, not the 7.30pm flight that sala had agreed. He then had to wait around all day. 

another strange aspect was the agents comment that sala's mother could receive £1m. Not sure how that could come about but this is the murky world of football transfers. I thought that all payments to agents etc had to be declared as part of the transfer form. Where the £1m cut comes from is obscure.

Sadly accidents such as this come about due to a combination of circumstances and errors. One of those errors was presumably the time of the flight and another was the choice of pilot. Incidentally when sala asked what the cost would be, he was told 'nothing'. He might have thought it was a freebie from a grateful agent but we now know that the reason that there is no charge is because the private pilot was not licensed to carry paying customers. Therefore it seems as though from the outset, that the pilot was never going to be a commercially qualified pilot. Again maybe that is normal but I think i would want to know that if i was sala. there was no reason for any secrecy. Probably just too many third parties involved. 

Cardiff may blame the agent for negligence in the flight arrangements, and may therefore be unwilling to pay that bit of the transfer that equates to his fee. Similarly they might blame Nantes for arranging sala's return for a series of goodbye events. But it would be shocking to attempt to renegotiate the agreed fee now on the basis that they had been misled.

This suggests that they have no intention of paying the agreed fee.

Concise and sensible presumption. You are however missing one very important fact. The agent, who arranged the plane, was engaged (you could say employed) by Nantes to find a buyer, conduct all the negotiations and then arranged the flight. I think it is entirely appropriate for Cardiff to withhold payment until the outcome of the investigations are completed. Nantes could be ultimately responsible from a negligent point of view.

If you buy a one off, (painting for example) and the transport arranged by the owner is responsible for damaging it, even if you have agreed to buy it, would you?

8 hours ago, R@M said:

Concise and sensible presumption. You are however missing one very important fact. The agent, who arranged the plane, was engaged (you could say employed) by Nantes to find a buyer, conduct all the negotiations and then arranged the flight. I think it is entirely appropriate for Cardiff to withhold payment until the outcome of the investigations are completed. Nantes could be ultimately responsible from a negligent point of view.

If you buy a one off, (painting for example) and the transport arranged by the owner is responsible for damaging it, even if you have agreed to buy it, would you?

the flight arrangements were not made on behalf of Nantes. The agents had also arranged numerous flights for cardiff city and warnock in an identical manner. To be absolutely pedantic it was Willie McKay's son who was the agent contracted to Nantes. His father arranged the flight, so any link to Nantes is very tenuous indeed.