Could we be a bit more like Wolves?

DCFCMANIFOLD

It pains me deeply to suggest this, or even to mention the 'W' word on our forum, but I believe we could learn a lot from Wolves present system and style of play! 

I am not entirely sold on the 4-3-3 system, as those that were at the game saw for themselves yesterday we get stretched badly in midfield. If Reading can do that with such ease, it goes some way to explaining bad losses to the likes of Leeds earlier in the season. However Wolves are a good exponent of the system, and the reason why is the balance of styles they play within 90 minutes. 

The key point is adaptability, and the freedom and desire to not necessarily stick to one mode of play. All of this of course is centred around one player, Conor Coady. It is easy to pass this off and say that we simply don't have that style of player, however I think our very own Tomori could become what Coady is for Wolves. He is forward looking, excellent in defence (we will gloss over his error yesterday that led to the goal) and with the right encouragement could look to play the ball out from the back a bit more. What Coady and Wolves do that we don't do is find a balance between 'football' (whatever that is) and playing in a more direct fashion (I guess you could call it route one). Our forwards are not exactly giants, but neither are Wolves forwards, they simply make the runs and the centre halves ping the ball in to them downfield. The reason why I am saying all this is because so often we get caught up in the 'football' style, forgetting that Marriott and his counterparts up front are making runs for absolutely nothing because our back four are passing it sideways. Wolves don't always look to go forward, they don't always look to play it out from the back, they are happy to adapt and use both to their advantage! I am not suggesting we bang it down the pitch every time we get it at the back, thats pointless because we don't have a big CF, I am suggesting something more of a lofted through ball every now and then to serve Marriott with his cutting runs in behind the defence. 

Sometimes we are electric, but when the opposition works us out and changes their formation, what is to say that we cant work them out and try a few diagonals and long through balls to our front three which we know full well can carve up a defence and make them look a league below! Maybe it is the stigma of the long ball, but I don't think it is such a bad thing as an option, rather than as a priority. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DCFCMANIFOLD said:

It pains me deeply to suggest this, or even to mention the 'W' word on our forum, but I believe we could learn a lot from Wolves present system and style of play! 

I don't think we're offended by that particular W word are we?

I quite like Wolves.

10 minutes ago, Waffle said:

We’re very vulnerable when an opposing team plays their wingers wide. It opens up massive gaps in our defence. Wolves also have something that we lack. 

Money

Ftfy

Listen mi owd little uns.... This is wa I reckon will happen with Wolves ... Wolves will have a bad run, player power will rule, manager will get sack or resign and then they will gerrin in a mess with money and then get relegated... They will then have ta get promoted straight away or get rid of big signings or face going tits up. Sounds familiar dunt it .... 

2 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Listen mi owd little uns.... This is wa I reckon will happen with Wolves ... Wolves will have a bad run, player power will rule, manager will get sack or resign and then they will gerrin in a mess with money and then get relegated... They will then have ta get promoted straight away or get rid of big signings or face going tits up. Sounds familiar dunt it .... 

Wolves are the new Watford.

they're gonna be massive.

they'll probably get a gap named after them.

Archived