Jim Smith

Mafiabob

13 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Take care Jim! 

Gave many their fondest memories of our club. I'm sure most Derby fans would go and visit him if we were allowed.

Bald Eagles....

My dad is in a dementia care home and I know how important visits are to break the day up for the poor buggers. Its an awful disease and kind words and company can help sufferers.

I talk to complete strangers when visiting Dad and they seem to appreciate any contact with people.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

My dad is in a dementia care home and I know how important visits are to break the day up for the poor buggers. Its an awful disease and kind words and company can help sufferers.

I talk to complete strangers when visiting Dad and they seem to appreciate any contact with people.

My mother in dementia and it is a full time job looking after her and dad. I am sorry to hear your tale. But a from what I can tell a simple visit from friends simply lifts their spirits. I fully agree with and understand what you are saying. It's a terrible disease and I am shocked that we haven't found a cure. 

It's nice to see Steve Mac is still going. Always loved the bloke and I know he's a ram. Let us hope the club does something for Jim. If he has no family, ppl with dementia don't want a carer, they want a friend. ?

1 minute ago, Officer said:

My mother in dementia and it is a full time job looking after her and dad. I am sorry to hear your tale. But a from what I can tell a simple visit from friends simply lifts their spirits. I fully agree with and understand what you are saying. It's a terrible disease and I am shocked that we haven't found a cure. 

It's nice to see Steve Mac is still going. Always loved the bloke and I know he's a ram. Let us hope the club does something for Jim. If he has no family, ppl with dementia don't want a carer, they want a friend. ?

We fought to keep Dad at home as long as we could but as the disease progresses it gets worse and Mum couldn't cope, poor Dad doesn't know what a burden he became on her and eventually had to go into care for his safety and Mum's health.

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

We fought to keep Dad at home as long as we could but as the disease progresses it gets worse and Mum couldn't cope, poor Dad doesn't know what a burden he became on her and eventually had to go into care for his safety and Mum's health.

I feel your pain. Mother is heading exactly the same way, burnt the kitchen three times, last time the whole house would have caught fire. I wish that no one ever experiences this terrible disease. 

22 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Just read this article in the times that confirms the sad news about Jim, a real shame that somebody who did so much for our club and was so loved is now sad and lonely, I’m sure that there must be Derby County fans who live within travelling distance of the home who could pop in and chat to him, a top man ! The bald eagle !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-has-duty-to-help-heroes-who-face-tough-times-whgzbwzf0

6EEC7C8A-5625-42FB-A3DF-2DD0D580C1EE.jpeg

8C28D112-9267-4682-8C8B-E9E22FA4CD39.jpeg

I live 30 mins from Oxford and would be able to visit. Does anyone know which care home he is in? It mentions Wimborne but that's in Dorset? 

53 minutes ago, Ramzabac said:

I live 30 mins from Oxford and would be able to visit. Does anyone know which care home he is in? It mentions Wimborne but that's in Dorset? 

What about messaging the guy who wrote the article ? Henry winter 

29 minutes ago, Ramzabac said:

Yep already sent email. Will see if he responds. But any help welcome. Cheers 

I know you know this but you can’t just rock up to see him. The home he’s in won’t let you in. It’s Jim’s family you really need to get hold of to ask their permission. 

19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

My grandma had it as well and there was days she knew who I was and days she did not. Broke my heart to see her disappear bit by bit but she knew I love her sigh.

Been a few years since been gone but pain greath still there. Does not seem like it was yesterday.

And sadly my grandad as well but I never got say goodbye. Apart from funral my heart still breaking sigh thats why club and fans need support these familes best we can.

19 hours ago, Officer said:

I feel your pain. Mother is heading exactly the same way, burnt the kitchen three times, last time the whole house would have caught fire. I wish that no one ever experiences this terrible disease. 

Dementia is such a cruel disease. It takes away the person that you love. My mam had dementia she went from being  a strong woman to being a shadow of herself. It’s sad to hear about Jim Smith . A Derby legend.

Archived