Jim Smith

Mafiabob

I love owd Jim . I used ta ger him knock off Cigars .. once he came round and Hilda had sum chewing baccy in her gob.. Jim laughed and said "Wats that gor in tha gob Hilda? " Hilda sez" I've gor half ounze of brown pigtail from baccy shop in Barnsley .. " Jim smiled and said " pick us sum up next time ya go shopping " But then summat funny happened  .. one of Hilda's last remaining teeth fell out and she nearly chocked... She couldn't breath. Nah I wa killing mi Sen but Hilda wa going blue... Jim being the gentleman he wa grabbed owd of her and performed the hiemlich manoeuvre. Tooth flew out and needless to say we all laughed. I gave him a prize pigeon as a little thank you. Top man 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair for me & probably many others watching Jim Smiths side as a ten-ish year old were the glory years in our life time 

didnt know it at the time but poom, eranio, wanchope & stimac etc would be the best side we’ve had & it hasnt been matched since 

to be fair when we had igor, asanovic, eranio, bianao wanchope, poom etc rather than selling to balance the books we were probably a couple of signings off achiving something really special 

7 hours ago, loweman2 said:

F235026B-608C-4E9A-85F7-CE30EDBC0DE9.jpeg

1 to 5 totally agree!

Bruce over Gerry? Probably because of his strength but a close call, Daly was magnificent at times.

Our major disagreement is I don't think Stevie was even close to AG or WC. I'd even shrug my shoulders of anybody took George over him from that group.

Hinton yes probably, but my formation up would have been different and he'd not make my first X1.

Of course to Kind Kev, but then I get seriously pizzed because I want Frannie and Charlie - not sure why they are lumped together. From the list, I'll agree with your forward choices but bitch and whine about having to do so!

Adn no doubt about Cloughie even though I think DM is grossly underrated.

23 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hinton yes probably, but my formation up would have been different and he'd not make my first X1.

What, no Alan Hinton??? There is/was nothing more exciting in football than standing in the corner of the Normanton End watching Alan Hinton running with the ball straight towards you at full steam.

On 27/01/2019 at 07:55, Owd miner said:

I love owd Jim . I used ta ger him knock off Cigars .. once he came round and Hilda had sum chewing baccy in her gob.. Jim laughed and said "Wats that gor in tha gob Hilda? " Hilda sez" I've gor half ounze of brown pigtail from baccy shop in Barnsley .. " Jim smiled and said " pick us sum up next time ya go shopping " But then summat funny happened  .. one of Hilda's last remaining teeth fell out and she nearly chocked... She couldn't breath. Nah I wa killing mi Sen but Hilda wa going blue... Jim being the gentleman he wa grabbed owd of her and performed the hiemlich manoeuvre. Tooth flew out and needless to say we all laughed. I gave him a prize pigeon as a little thank you. Top man 

Funny how often these tales revolve around dentistry ?

• 3 months later...

Just read this article in the times that confirms the sad news about Jim, a real shame that somebody who did so much for our club and was so loved is now sad and lonely, I’m sure that there must be Derby County fans who live within travelling distance of the home who could pop in and chat to him, a top man ! The bald eagle !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-has-duty-to-help-heroes-who-face-tough-times-whgzbwzf0

6EEC7C8A-5625-42FB-A3DF-2DD0D580C1EE.jpeg

8C28D112-9267-4682-8C8B-E9E22FA4CD39.jpeg

On 27/01/2019 at 08:25, G-Ram said:

To be fair for me & probably many others watching Jim Smiths side as a ten-ish year old were the glory years in our life time 

didnt know it at the time but poom, eranio, wanchope & stimac etc would be the best side we’ve had & it hasnt been matched since 

to be fair when we had igor, asanovic, eranio, bianao wanchope, poom etc rather than selling to balance the books we were probably a couple of signings off achiving something really special 

I was of a similar age and have such great memories of the late '90s and early '00s. The brand new ground, all these blokes shouting about bald eagles, Wanchop, Poom, Igor all names I remember hearing shouted by Martin Tyler (?) on the tele on Saturdays and the massively over-sized Puma shirt I wore everywhere. I've said on here before my grandmother met him on a cruise one summer and got his autograph for me and my brother, she said he was a lovely chap who stopped to talk and who genuinely wanted to hear about us supporting the Rams.

Clicked on this thinking it would be remenisces about that wonderful season (and the others), then read the first post.

Genuinely gutted. What a lovely bloke, and one of the best Rams managers I've seen in my time watching the Club.

All the best, Jim. And thanks for the good times.

6 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Just read this article in the times that confirms the sad news about Jim, a real shame that somebody who did so much for our club and was so loved is now sad and lonely, I’m sure that there must be Derby County fans who live within travelling distance of the home who could pop in and chat to him, a top man ! The bald eagle !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-has-duty-to-help-heroes-who-face-tough-times-whgzbwzf0

6EEC7C8A-5625-42FB-A3DF-2DD0D580C1EE.jpeg

8C28D112-9267-4682-8C8B-E9E22FA4CD39.jpeg

Would be nice if Mel, Frank and the squad visited him this weekend on the way down to Wembley, would be an amazing thing to do, and to maybe show our appreciation of a fantastic bloke. Anyone can get that going to the club 

Archived