Sign in to follow this  
Mafiabob

Jim Smith

Lovely bloke.  Was lucky enough to meet him at a supporters club do and got him to sign my copy of his autobiography.  Have always treasured it.

Well....i've bought the autobiography.

read the chapter on mcgrath and wanchope.

unfortunately jim couldn't resist a bit of wheeling and dealing. Selling carsley, dailly, and wanchope wrecked that team and led to igor losing faith. Baiano didn't last long either. Nor chris powell. Set us off on a series of poor transfers and undid everything.

spencer prior, schnoor, carbonari, strupar, fuertes, beck, burley, kinkladze, lee fkn morris, borbokis, bragstad.....barely one decent signing amongst the whole lot.

still. It was good while it lasted. 🍷

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well....i've bought the autobiography.

read the chapter on mcgrath and wanchope.

unfortunately jim couldn't resist a bit of wheeling and dealing. Selling carsley, dailly, and wanchope wrecked that team and led to igor losing faith. Baiano didn't last long either. Nor chris powell. Set us off on a series of poor transfers and undid everything.

spencer prior, schnoor, carbonari, strupar, fuertes, beck, burley, kinkladze, lee fkn morris, borbokis, bragstad.....barely one decent signing amongst the whole lot.

still. It was good while it lasted. 🍷

Nowt like focusing on the negatives.

Jim Smith's team is what made me a Derby fan at the age of 7 in a family of Forest fans.

Plus i'd argue that most of the signings you mentioned were at least 'decent'.

I'm sad to see this on this thread. Have wondered a few times these past few years why Jim wasn't a regular on the Talk Sport/Sky Sport pundit circuit. I don't know what the issues are but I've got a good idea.

19 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Jim Smith's team is what made me a Derby fan at the age of 7 in a family of Forest fans.

Would you indeed. 

Jim should have sat on his hands. He had a very good team and spent more money trying to recreate what he destroyed. 

Been lucky enough in my lifetime to have witnessed the three best managers we could have ever wished for in no particular order Brian,Arthur and Jim here is offering all the best wishes to Jim and all the rest of his family in this sad time,will always be one of the best rams managers of all time.

ps am hoping to add Frank to that list of  real  true great managers

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Would you indeed. 

Jim should have sat on his hands. He had a very good team and spent more money trying to recreate what he destroyed. 

Jesus. The man may be on his death bed, can we not just focus on the many positive times he gave us?

Met him at the training ground once and also went to "An Evening with Jim Smith" - great character - always happy to chat - full of funny stories...and certainly gave us some exciting times!

I remember a couple of the questions he answered at the aforementioned evening :

Technically Best Derby player you ever worked with? - Asanovic

Favourite wine? - Any!

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Jesus. The man may be on his death bed, can we not just focus on the many positive times he gave us?

As Batman said, ‘you either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.’ Lots of clubs have legendary managers, but all reigns end at some point, for some reason. Sometimes you just get old, like Alex Ferguson, sometimes you just fall out with the ownership, but the fans still love you, like Clough here, sometimes the magic just starts to fizzle our, Clough at forest, or Smith here. The fans still love em for the good times, but it’s very rare that the good times last forever. When he was eventually sacked, it was probably a difficult time, but it’s all forgotten now, the good times shine through. 

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

I did. I said he built a great team and it was great while it lasted.

21 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim and I thanked him for what he had done for us .He replied it was a pleasure and remarked on what a great football club we are .Get well soon Jim ,great great man.

I did exactly the same thing.Bumped into him in Ashbourne 96 I reckon?

He was throwing the ball in for Shrovetide and I thanked him,he was a nice guy.

Wish him all the best.

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

As Batman said, ‘you either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.’ Lots of clubs have legendary managers, but all reigns end at some point, for some reason. Sometimes you just get old, like Alex Ferguson, sometimes you just fall out with the ownership, but the fans still love you, like Clough here, sometimes the magic just starts to fizzle our, Clough at forest, or Smith here. The fans still love em for the good times, but it’s very rare that the good times last forever. When he was eventually sacked, it was probably a difficult time, but it’s all forgotten now, the good times shine through. 

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Some of those players were good players, Strupar would've been a Derby great if it weren't for injuries.  Carbonari, Schnoor & Prior were all good defenders.  Burley was good for us.  Kinky was slightly disappointing given his skill though.  

Jim's only mistake was staying a season too long.  He should've gone when we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.