Jim Smith

Mafiabob

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Jesus. The man may be on his death bed, can we not just focus on the many positive times he gave us?

As Batman said, ‘you either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.’ Lots of clubs have legendary managers, but all reigns end at some point, for some reason. Sometimes you just get old, like Alex Ferguson, sometimes you just fall out with the ownership, but the fans still love you, like Clough here, sometimes the magic just starts to fizzle our, Clough at forest, or Smith here. The fans still love em for the good times, but it’s very rare that the good times last forever. When he was eventually sacked, it was probably a difficult time, but it’s all forgotten now, the good times shine through. 

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Jesus. The man may be on his death bed, can we not just focus on the many positive times he gave us?

I did. I said he built a great team and it was great while it lasted.

21 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim and I thanked him for what he had done for us .He replied it was a pleasure and remarked on what a great football club we are .Get well soon Jim ,great great man.

I did exactly the same thing.Bumped into him in Ashbourne 96 I reckon?

He was throwing the ball in for Shrovetide and I thanked him,he was a nice guy.

Wish him all the best.

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

As Batman said, ‘you either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.’ Lots of clubs have legendary managers, but all reigns end at some point, for some reason. Sometimes you just get old, like Alex Ferguson, sometimes you just fall out with the ownership, but the fans still love you, like Clough here, sometimes the magic just starts to fizzle our, Clough at forest, or Smith here. The fans still love em for the good times, but it’s very rare that the good times last forever. When he was eventually sacked, it was probably a difficult time, but it’s all forgotten now, the good times shine through. 

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Nowt like focusing on the negatives.

Jim Smith's team is what made me a Derby fan at the age of 7 in a family of Forest fans.

Plus i'd argue that most of the signings you mentioned were at least 'decent'.

Some of those players were good players, Strupar would've been a Derby great if it weren't for injuries.  Carbonari, Schnoor & Prior were all good defenders.  Burley was good for us.  Kinky was slightly disappointing given his skill though.  

Jim's only mistake was staying a season too long.  He should've gone when we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Well....i've bought the autobiography.

read the chapter on mcgrath and wanchope.

unfortunately jim couldn't resist a bit of wheeling and dealing. Selling carsley, dailly, and wanchope wrecked that team and led to igor losing faith. Baiano didn't last long either. Nor chris powell. Set us off on a series of poor transfers and undid everything.

spencer prior, schnoor, carbonari, strupar, fuertes, beck, burley, kinkladze, lee fkn morris, borbokis, bragstad.....barely one decent signing amongst the whole lot.

still. It was good while it lasted. ?

From (bad?) memory I thought Jim wasn't given very much choice but to, because Lionel had overstretched himself on Pride Park (as Graham Richards had predicted)? I said at the time the selling off of good players was the opposite of what we should have done and that there would only be one outcome. Unfortunately the downward spiral swiftly followed.

3 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

Been lucky enough in my lifetime to have witnessed the three best managers we could have ever wished for in no particular order Brian,Arthur and Jim here is offering all the best wishes to Jim and all the rest of his family in this sad time,will always be one of the best rams managers of all time.

ps am hoping to add Frank to that list of  real  true great managers

Holy crap, Dave Mackay deserves to be in that group. Whereas we weren't as gritty as the team under Cloughie, it was the best footballing team in my lifetime.  If Charlie hadn't got injured we'd have done the double in 76.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Holy crap, Dave Mackay deserves to be in that group. Whereas we weren't as gritty as the team under Cloughie, it was the best footballing team in my lifetime.  If Charlie hadn't got injured we'd have done the double in 76.

no sorry mate can't agree,although a very good manager in is own right without reaching there standards,and as for doing the double  i was at hillsboro that year and we were never really in the game

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Some of those players were good players, Strupar would've been a Derby great if it weren't for injuries.  Carbonari, Schnoor & Prior were all good defenders.  Burley was good for us.  Kinky was slightly disappointing given his skill though.  

Jim's only mistake was staying a season too long.  He should've gone when we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

Yep, I liked carbonari ‘the bazooka’ and strupar. 

Kinky was good after we went down. 

1 hour ago, Seaside Sam said:

no sorry mate can't agree,although a very good manager in is own right without reaching there standards,and as for doing the double  i was at hillsboro that year and we were never really in the game

You must have missed the goal by Nish that was clearly onside.

And I said because of the injury to CG, who obviously did not play.

Mackay won the top division and brought in some of the best players I have ever seen.

We played better football under Mackay than Cloughie.

I love Jim Smith and he's clearly a great guy, but Mackay took what Clough started and made it even better.

It's sad imho the disrespect he gets purely and solely because he followed Brian.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Mackay won the top division and brought in some of the best players I have ever seen.

I love Jim Smith and he's clearly a great guy, but Mackay took what Clough started and made it even better.

It's sad imho the disrespect he gets purely and solely because he followed Brian.

Nah. I loved mackay as a player.

green, webster, robson, durban, mcfarland, mackay, mcgovern, carlin, o'hare, hector, hinton.

that was the best.

Hector in his prime, hinton unstoppable, carlin the driving force, mackay the leader......fookin unstoppable.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Mackay was undermined by directors wishing to get Clough back. It was never going to happen. If Mackay had been supported by the board, we would have remained a force in English football.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Nah. I loved mackay as a player.

green, webster, robson, durban, mcfarland, mackay, mcgovern, carlin, o'hare, hector, hinton.

that was the best.

Hector in his prime, hinton unstoppable, carlin the driving force, mackay the leader......fookin unstoppable.

I utterly loved Hinton, but if you think he was better than Charlie or that O'Hare was better than Franny, you have started drinking a tad too soon for the weekend.

Both AH and JO were very good players, but FL and CG were truly world-class. Mackay stole both of those players.

Arthur and Jim did amazing, but never got CLOSE to what DM did and to say they were better managers than a man who won the top flight and made us one of the best and most exciting teams in Europe who ripped Real Madrid to shreds is utterly absurd.

In my life time, the 10 minute spell against Southampton at PP where we went from 0-0 to 4-0, is the absolute pinnacle. Eranio, Wanchope, Baiano et all, all clicking and on fire. Southampton, collectively, almost literally $h1t their pants as they were mercilessly annihilated.

The 3-0 humping of Arsenal shortly afterwards was pretty special as well, and of course the 3-2 win at OT, but that Southampton game, we were magic, we were imperious, and we’d announced ourselves as a fantastic team. It was the total antithesis of Billy Davros w@nk@-ball when he got us there by boring teams into submission.

Thank you Jim, those days will stay with me forever, hope you get well.

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

In my life time, the 10 minute spell against Southampton at PP where we went from 0-0 to 4-0, is the absolute pinnacle. Eranio, Wanchope, Baiano et all, all clicking and on fire. Southampton, collectively, almost literally $h1t their pants as they were mercilessly annihilated.

The 3-0 humping of Arsenal shortly afterwards was pretty special as well, and of course the 3-2 win at OT, but that Southampton game, we were magic, we were imperious, and we’d announced ourselves as a fantastic team. It was the total antithesis of Billy Davros w@nk@-ball when he got us there by boring teams into submission.

Don't forget Poom barrelling out of goal and catching the ball sideways on between three onrushing forwards at 2-0 .  Best command of the area I've seen from a Derby keeper .

26 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

That implies that any teams actually submitted. You could have just left it at ‘boring teams.’

On 25/01/2019 at 16:59, Bob The Badger said:

the nish thing was the only chance we created  ,and if you think we played better footy under Mackay than Clough then there is no point in us having this conversation

Archived