Johnson and Ledley

wombatram

2 hours ago, BobbyD said:

How about including them in the matchday squad. ?

What do you think Jimbo about my point ? 

I sense that Frank has made the decision to offload the big earners like Bradders, Ledders, Butters etc who are out of contract that will enable him to bring in fresh blood. I am happy for Frank to do what he thinks is best.....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, BobbyD said:

You are so missing the point 

I get the financial comment

My comment is that we are badly treating employees of our football club 

Please say if you are happy with this . 

I am not , and that this approach will impact upon our future - we are treating employess extremely badly 

Not selecting players for the match day squad does not equate to treating them badly. If the plan for the future is to use the young players from the academy why on earth should we waste time persisting with players we intend to move on simply to protect their reputations? So, yes, I am very happy with this.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

Not selecting players for the match day squad does not equate to treating them badly. If the plan for the future is to use the young players from the academy why on earth should we waste time persisting with players we intend to move on simply to protect their reputations? So, yes, I am very happy with this.

Dunno. Maybe to help us win football matches when we're pushing for promotion? 

Take Saturday. Three youngsters on the bench for experience. They weren't realistically ever going to get on, leaving Frank with only three subs - Nugent, Evans, Bennett.

Would much rather have had Johnson on the bench as an option. And on the pitch ahead of Evans if I'm honest. We might be building for the future, but in 6th place we also need to be winning games now. 

(Before anybody says we won, I am aware. But don't let anyone kid you it was way too close for comfort).

Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Dunno. Maybe to help us win football matches when we're pushing for promotion? 

Take Saturday. Three youngsters on the bench for experience. They weren't realistically ever going to get on, leaving Frank with only three subs - Nugent, Evans, Bennett.

Would much rather have had Johnson on the bench as an option. And on the pitch ahead of Evans if I'm honest. We might be building for the future, but in 6th place we also need to be winning games now. 

(Before anybody says we won, I am aware. But don't let anyone kid you it was way too close for comfort).

Just a thought.

You're making the assumption that those youngsters wouldn't get on the pitch. I'm prepared to give Lampard the benefit of not automatically assuming he'd purposefully wipe out nearly half of his sub bench just to make a point.

I'm not entirely sold on Evans yet, but then I'm not entirely sold on Johnson and he's had three and a half years to convince me.

19 hours ago, Anon said:

You're making the assumption that those youngsters wouldn't get on the pitch. I'm prepared to give Lampard the benefit of not automatically assuming he'd purposefully wipe out nearly half of his sub bench just to make a point.

I'm not entirely sold on Evans yet, but then I'm not entirely sold on Johnson and he's had three and a half years to convince me.

Correct, and I'm making it with the benefit of hindsight. Had we been five up (as looked perfectly feasible after 20 mins) then he might have given of them 10 mins at the end.

But when I looked at the bench it smacked of those are the three subs he will make, and the rest are there for experience. 

I guess also it comes down to our individual opinions on Johnson. I clearly think more of him than you hence I'd have him in the 18 atm.

Just now, angieram said:

I think it is significant that none of the surplus players have been anywherenear the matchday squads since the transfer window has opened.  There's a clear message there - get yourself another club sorted if you want to play football. 

The recent interview somewhere in which he said he was looking forward to the summer when a bunch of players will leave as their contracts end, to see what he can do with the team then - really punctuated that we aren't seeing some of these players again in a Derby shirt.

Johnson was probably in Lamps plans (this season at least) until he bit someone.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The recent interview somewhere in which he said he was looking forward to the summer when a bunch of players will leave as their contracts end, to see what he can do with the team then - really punctuated that we aren't seeing some of these players again in a Derby shirt.

Johnson was probably in Lamps plans (this season at least) until he bit someone.

Do you think he's been dropped for his Indiscipline, or do you think Frank was pleased enough with his replacements to not bring him back?

I'd be quite surprised if it was the former, but maybe Frank is more moralistic than most.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Do you think he's been dropped for his Indiscipline, or do you think Frank was pleased enough with his replacements to not bring him back?

I'd be quite surprised if it was the former, but maybe Frank is more moralistic than most.

Firstly, I stress that the statement was conjecture and I'm not placing any degree of certainty on the theory.

However, following the theory and answering your question, I think it'd be a little of column a, little of column b. We've shown we're capable of managing without him, so if Frank does have a problem moving forward with someone who bit a player, it makes it an easy decision.

Once the transfer window has shut some players may well be used again as needs must but clearly the likes of Johnson ledley Butterfield and Anya are all available for transfer or loans - so basically anything that brings in money or reduces cost would be acceptable 

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2019 at 20:20, TexasRam said:

Shame for Johnson, there’s a player there somewhere 

Yep, he was on the pitch tonight.

Wigan were made for Johnson to shine, some daft comments that wrote him off and I accept he’s no football genius but I think Johnson gets too much unfair criticism when he’s played out of position. He’s not an out and out C.D.M but I thought tonight he played well largely in front of Huddlestone, won plenty of balls and got forward reasonably well. 

When he doesn’t try to be Pirlo, he’s an half decent battle tank on the left side of midfield, no reason why he shouldn’t do well the next 3 games either, all should suit his strengths.

Come on Brad lad, prove a few wrong, my m.o.t.m tonight.

Archived