Johnson and Ledley

wombatram

3 minutes ago, europia said:

Players of that time in their career are unlikely to take a drop in wages if they dont have to.

I have no doubt they will see out their contracts. Who knows they might be needed. We still have 18 league games left plus at least one cup games and possibly play-offs.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/01/2019 at 22:56, Rampage said:

Surely we are in danger of having only half our players at the end of this season. ??

I just don't see that as a danger - much more a relief and opportunity. We've given ourselves a gigantic squad that's hoovered up Mel's money and blocked any hope of some decent youngsters breaking through.

I like that Frank had given Bogle his chance - and will clearly give Bennett a proper chance too. I like that he's brought us Malone, Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes, Josefzoon and Evans and loaned in Mount, Wilson and Tomori. 

Releasing around 10 players lets him bring us more signings and give opportunities to the likes of Bird, Thomas, Lowe, Elsnik, Wilson (T), Buchanan, Sibley and more. It's something to be embraced not feared. 

Super Frankie Lampard - what a guy! 

On 19/01/2019 at 20:10, wombatram said:

I only caught a small amount of the post game radio commentary, but they were saying that Frank has decided that’s it for those two... (they won’t play anymore and he would rather field the youngsters), is this correct? 

They weren't saying it with certainty, they were talking in 'ifs'.

But yes, let's hope they're done. Rather see Bird et al try their hand than these no-hopers plodding around.

On 19/01/2019 at 22:42, Millenniumram said:

Still not a particulary normal reaction is it? Can’t say I’d ever have the reaction to turn around and go in for a bite, might be tempted to spin his jaw, but going for a late night snack on joe Allen isn’t High on my list of priorities. Regardless it’s not about what I think, I’d have probs fined him a weeks wages and got on with it, it’s about what frank thinks. Can’t be a coincidence he does that and is bombed out the squad for 17 year olds.

I don't think the biting has anything to do with it.

I think it's just his complete lack of footballing skill.

He can't even tackle.

Frank Lampard must ducking cringe watching him in training. Bet he must secretly be thinking that he is right-footed.

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

I don't think the biting has anything to do with it.

I think it's just his complete lack of footballing skill.

He can't even tackle.

Frank Lampard must ducking cringe watching him in training. Bet he must secretly be thinking that he is right-footed.

easy to forget I suppose but his tackle and pass for Cameron's goal v Barnsley were of the highest level.  Had a lot of duff games but had some great ones also

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

easy to forget I suppose but his tackle and pass for Cameron's goal v Barnsley were of the highest level.  Had a lot of duff games but had some great ones also

Not £7m worth though, that's the problem. For someone who's probably there or there abouts for our highest earner to boot, with him being 32 by the end of the season... he's done here.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Thought he was in decent form prior to his suspension.

Put in a couple of MOTM performances. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought he was in decent form prior to his suspension.

Put in a couple of MOTM performances. 

agreed, annoys me that some are so dismissive but tbh he was never quite good enough for what we paid, not his fault though

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not £7m worth though, that's the problem. For someone who's probably there or there abouts for our highest earner to boot, with him being 32 by the end of the season... he's done here.

the tackle and pass were top class and not out of place from a player that would of cost more.  Not his fault we paid over the odds for him though but we apparently were desperate and that's what happens in those circumstances.  I can't remember many/any complaining about him at the time though.  The biggest worry I have is whether the club has been prudent and written down his value to something that won't hurt if he goes for free.  I have no itk but I wouldn't be surprised if he was valued at £4/5m last year and that's going to hurt us.   

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

the tackle and pass were top class and not out of place from a player that would of cost more.  Not his fault we paid over the odds for him though but we apparently were desperate and that's what happens in those circumstances.  I can't remember many/any complaining about him at the time though.  The biggest worry I have is whether the club has been prudent and written down his value to something that won't hurt if he goes for free.  I have no itk but I wouldn't be surprised if he was valued at £4/5m last year and that's going to hurt us.   

Who'd value him at that? £5m for a 30 year old championship midfielder... you don't see that often. Again, I'm not an FFP wizard either, but I'm guessing it's an equation of how much your loss might be on that valuation, verses having to pay him the same wages again for even longer (because he has no incentive to accept less)... and that's betting on him being willing to re-sign and not play.

Whilst it's not his fault how much we paid for him, you still need to then live up to the billing. Any player can have a good game, maybe pull out a tackle and pass and look great. Memorable moments from Bradley Johnson... I'm struggling on that front.

His biggest issue is that he's been here now under several styles and formations and none of them suited what he was good at at Norwich, which is presumably where the £7m valuation came from. He faced an uphill battle from then on, just like a few of our players have over the past few years. Vydra had the same issue, until Rowett figured that one out.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Who'd value him at that? £5m for a 30 year old championship midfielder... you don't see that often. Again, I'm not an FFP wizard either, but I'm guessing it's an equation of how much your loss might be on that valuation, verses having to pay him the same wages again for even longer (because he has no incentive to accept less)... and that's betting on him being willing to re-sign and not play.

Whilst it's not his fault how much we paid for him, you still need to then live up to the billing. Any player can have a good game, maybe pull out a tackle and pass and look great. Memorable moments from Bradley Johnson... I'm struggling on that front.

His biggest issue is that he's been here now under several styles and formations and none of them suited what he was good at at Norwich, which is presumably where the £7m valuation came from. He faced an uphill battle from then on, just like a few of our players have over the past few years. Vydra had the same issue, until Rowett figured that one out.

me neither but I think when you reduce the carrying value of a player it has a negative effect on FFP.  If you are close to a breach the temptation must be to fudge the issue so maybe they carried a higher value.  I'm not saying I'm right just that it is a possibility?

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

me neither but I think when you reduce the carrying value of a player it has a negative effect on FFP.  If you are close to a breach the temptation must be to fudge the issue so maybe they carried a higher value.  I'm not saying I'm right just that it is a possibility?

It is a possibility, but as I say, it could be that continuing to pay the exorbitant wages is far worse.

55 minutes ago, Spanish said:

agreed, annoys me that some are so dismissive but tbh he was never quite good enough for what we paid, not his fault though

He was never good enough full stop.

No better than Ben Pringle or Paul Coutts. They had some good games too.

We are not alone on expecting big contracted players to leave in the summer and open up room to manoeuvre with signings and contracts - teams like Aston Villa have a good baker’s dozen of very expensive players to clear out as an example resulting in lots of unemployed or unwanted players around the country next summer.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Might be better though to have malone, wisdom, johnson, mcdonald, and anya covering left back than blow £300k on wages for ashley cole?

Malone - First choice pick

Wisdom - Not really suited to how we want to play. 1 good game and 1 reasonable game this season

Johnson - Not a left back

Macdonald - young and inexperienced. I'd be happy to see him play in the odd game, not for him to be second choice and play around 10 games (yet)

Anya - crap

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Malone - First choice pick

Wisdom - Not really suited to how we want to play. 1 good game and 1 reasonable game this season

Johnson - Not a left back

Macdonald - young and inexperienced. I'd be happy to see him play in the odd game, not for him to be second choice and play around 10 games (yet)

Anya - crap

That’s unfair Anya is not crap and I am not a fan of his and is probably better than all of those bar malone at left back but we clearly want him to leave and he seems to clearly want to see out his contract weather he plays football or not but it’s not right to say he crap 

56 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Might be better though to have malone, wisdom, johnson, mcdonald, and anya covering left back than blow £300k on wages for ashley cole?

Where does £300k come form ?

I read somewhere he is on less than £5k a week

summasing 18 weeks max until the season is out = £90k

For me both were good & needed signings at the time but now we could do with them both off the wage bill. Johnson has been a victim of the fee we paid for him which wasnt his fault, he is nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. Like everyone he has had some poor games and some quality games including some this season. I thought he was immense vs Utd in the cup this season.

Archived