Where VAR helped us last night

rammieib

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I sarcastically made such suggestions in the twitter feeds of Gary Lineker and Robbie Savage, so I did too notice the commentary mention something about that as well late on in the game.

Although, all they said was, I believe "Smart cameras". Something along the lines of "It will be better once the smart cameras are in." I think. I think they said then it would be like Hawk-eye? Not sure.

But if its exactly the same as Hawk-eye, as you say, the cameras would need to be moving with the last defender which seems impractical at best. It would require X amount of space between the pitch run-off and the stands which isn't always there and can't easily be created. Behind the hoardings, you'd imagine.

It could be some take on the 3D system used in the NFL, that isn't as polished but doesn't take days to do? I really wish they'd gone into more detail cos just in that remark I got really interested, but with the terms they've used I've been unable to find any information out about it.

Cheers, SR.

I suppose (completely guessing here!) that such cameras wouldn't actually need to be at ground level?  Looking down from a rail/running line hanging from a stand roof, perhaps? 

I can see some nasty accidents if they are running along the ground, 2ft outside the white line!  LOL!

Ah well, we'll soon see, I guess!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I sarcastically made such suggestions in the twitter feeds of Gary Lineker and Robbie Savage, so I did too notice the commentary mention something about that as well late on in the game.

Although, all they said was, I believe "Smart cameras". Something along the lines of "It will be better once the smart cameras are in." I think. I think they said then it would be like Hawk-eye? Not sure.

But if its exactly the same as Hawk-eye, as you say, the cameras would need to be moving with the last defender which seems impractical at best. It would require X amount of space between the pitch run-off and the stands which isn't always there and can't easily be created. Behind the hoardings, you'd imagine.

It could be some take on the 3D system used in the NFL, that isn't as polished but doesn't take days to do? I really wish they'd gone into more detail cos just in that remark I got really interested, but with the terms they've used I've been unable to find any information out about it.

'Tactical cameras' was the phrase. I believe these give an aerial view. No idea how they would be installed etc. I've seen them as a camera option on the red button in the past.

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Cheers, SR.

I suppose (completely guessing here!) that such cameras wouldn't actually need to be at ground level?  Looking down from a rail/running line hanging from a stand roof, perhaps? 

I can see some nasty accidents if they are running along the ground, 2ft outside the white line!  LOL!

Ah well, we'll soon see, I guess!

I don't think many football stadiums are particularly well equipped for automated cameras moving anywhere, to be honest ? 

To be fair it wouldn't need to be THAT precise, just far more precise than it is now. If you imagine a row of cheap-ish cameras embedded in the advertising hoardings spaced by, say, 5 yards - that would probably be more than accurate enough to be able to function. You just look at the footage of the best placed camera.

Obviously the specific set-up might have faults, but you get the idea I'm trying to visualise. 

Hawkeye in cricket and tennis is a computerised guess.  An educated guess but a guess none the less - there's no way anyone or any system actually knows for certain how high a cricket or tennis ball will bounce or at what angle in real life because there are too many variables, but the system calculates where it will probably go and that 'probably' everyone involved accepts is going to be accurate enough.

On the offside position they couldn't have cameras trundling along the touchline, not least because the lino's legs would always be in the way never mind the risks of players falling over the things, and a vertical view would probably be technically difficult and not much more accurate than we already have.  So you're left with a Hawkeye type system, also known as an educated guess, designed primarily for a television viewer unless they have a modicum of common sense and also engage those watching live.  But then TV viewers are more important than those actually at the match.

Archived