Where VAR helped us last night

rammieib

With the directive that the lino’s don’t put their flag up if it’s close, I think that is exactly how they applied it last night. So ignoring the debate over the first, think of Harry’s goal...I am sure that if there was no VAR, the linesman would have put his flag up. There is absolutely no way that the Lino would have spotted the Southampton players foot and let’s be honest, it took me a while to spot it as well.

Waggy tried to head it and thus interfered so he was interfering. 

‘In the furores of everything happening and the stunning result, just to acknowledge that VAR did actually benefit us in my opinion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

With the directive that the lino’s don’t put their flag up if it’s close, I think that is exactly how they applied it last night. So ignoring the debate over the first, think of Harry’s goal...I am sure that if there was no VAR, the linesman would have put his flag up. There is absolutely no way that the Lino would have spotted the Southampton players foot and let’s be honest, it took me a while to spot it as well.

‘In the furores of everything happening and the stunning result, just to acknowledge that VAR did actually benefit us in my opinion.

How did it benefit us? We had a goal cancelled that would have stood and we might of had a goal disallowed, but nobody knows if the linesman would have flagged or not!

35 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If Brysons' goal had stood and not been referred to VAR then everything else in the game would have been different. We might have won 4-0 or lost 4-1 - who knows. I'm just pleased it played out as it did. 

I'm not a fan of VAR, however if used correctly it will be palatable.

The application of it last night was ridiculous and to be quite honest embarrassing to English football. 

A referee or linesman getting a decision wrong you can take but someone stopping the game for 3 minutes and still potentially getting the decision is not acceptable. 

Football should be about the live spectators not doing things to make it more exciting for people sat at home in the armchair.

I found the VAR decision baffling - because Bryson was involved in the play (with Waghorn clearly onside at the time) before he received the pass and slotting it in the net. Or does dummying the ball and wrong-footing the defender not count any more?

30 minutes ago, eddie said:

I found the VAR decision baffling - because Bryson was involved in the play (with Waghorn clearly onside at the time) before he received the pass and slotting it in the net. Or does dummying the ball and wrong-footing the defender not count any more?

It was Waghorn whose foot was in an offside position when it was passed into him Eddie. 

I thought the defenders shoulder is playing him on but reality is that VAR can't tell you for sure or not. On that basis, there is no way you can overrule the on the field decision.

Anyway my thread was about acknowledging the fact VAR did work on the Wilson goal.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

How did it benefit us? We had a goal cancelled that would have stood and we might of had a goal disallowed, but nobody knows if the linesman would have flagged or not!

Really, the first response and you miss the point completely.

If we didn't have VAR I am 99% sure the lino would have flagged offside on that Wilson goal. Because we had VAR it stood and we ended up winning!

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If we didn't have VAR I am 99% sure the lino would have flagged offside on that Wilson goal. Because we had VAR it stood and we ended up winning!

Without VAR we wouldn't have gone 2 goals to nil down in the first place.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Unfortunately VAR will never quite work if the VAR decisions are open to debate. The technology works in cricket as the outcome of the data analysis is never ambiguous. That just can't be said of football. 

11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Nobody touched the ball, it was a direct goal, hence not offside. Unless Wilson was offside when he took the free kick.

Anyway it made it a bit more exciting for us, instead of beating them 5-0 we got to win on penalties.

26 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It was Waghorn whose foot was in an offside position when it was passed into him Eddie. 

I thought the defenders shoulder is playing him on but reality is that VAR can't tell you for sure or not. On that basis, there is no way you can overrule the on the field decision.

Anyway my thread was about acknowledging the fact VAR did work on the Wilson goal.

Yes, I know (a split second before that) - but did Bryson not back-heel the ball to Waghorn beforehand, or did he just try to and it ended up being a brilliant dummy? At the time Bryson played/tried to play/dummied the ball on its way through to Waghorn, the latter had got back onside.

1 hour ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

Hanging around for a couple of minutes after every goal was balls. VAR can piss right off.

Yep agree with this. It's going to ruin what football is all about. Cheering when a goal is given...who the f knows once var is introduced if it will stand?

38 minutes ago, eddie said:

Yes, I know (a split second before that) - but did Bryson not back-heel the ball to Waghorn beforehand, or did he just try to and it ended up being a brilliant dummy? At the time Bryson played/tried to play/dummied the ball on its way through to Waghorn, the latter had got back onside.

Bryson didn't touch it. They also checked on VAR for it. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Without VAR we wouldn't have gone 2 goals to nil down in the first place.

Exactly, not to mention the immediate lift it gave them. It was like a kick up the backside, they knew they had been given a let off, the crowd thought it too. All that translated through to the players at the start of the second half.

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

Probably onside ?‍♂️

Probably? Maybe the leather of the ball glanced the leather of the fancy coloured boot. Without the camera that wasn’t in the correct position seeing it?

Thats what I’m saying init.

Archived