Waghorn

chadlad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Frank is going to finally see the value of a strong hold up player in the number 9 shirt who can lay off balls to those around him....

Something we have missed for the past two seasons ?

Just need Marriott thrown back in the mix with waghorn and brys doing what he does best with a number 9 and that's it.....we are promoted!

6 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I'd like Waggy as no.9 Marriott as 10.  Holmes ,Mount Wilson behind, Then Tom and our regular back 4. King as fixer if it goes a bit pear shaped.

As well as being more potent in terms of goalscoring ability I think it just adds more control to our game...the ball sticks up front better and the players aren't constantly having to run back and forth frantically,getting bolloxed in the process.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

How do we fit Waggy and Marriott in the same team?

Obviously, Waghorn on the right wing has been reasonably effective but you seem to lose a bit from Waggy to gain from jack. I do wonder if we could play two up with wing backs?

I think wingbacks would be tricky without 3 CB's, and with 3 Cb's and 2 central strikers we'd have 3 central midfield positions to put Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount, Holmes, King,Bryson between. Seems silly to bottle-neck the position with our largest number of quality players.

In fact, really in any formation with 2 central forwards, it'll be the central midfield that is sacrificed.

Especially with the addition of Andy King, I think we're much better off having Waghorn and Marriott battling it out over one position (with Waghorn able to cover a wide spot), than to try and play them together through the middle. I think we'd get worse overall.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I think we're much better off having Waghorn and Marriott battling it out over one position (with Waghorn able to cover a wide spot), than to try and play them together through the middle.

Agree with this and whilst I can understand the calls to play both, you need fresh options on the bench that can change a game as frustrating as that can be for the player on the bench.

When was the last time we had a pair of strikers that you didn't feel left us significantly weaker when one played over the other?

At the minute the shirt is Waghorn's and as he said, it's great competition we have, Marriott now needs to show when given the opportunity why he deserves it back, likewise with Carson. Exactly the headache Lampard wants to have.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Agree with this and whilst I can understand the calls to play both, you need fresh options on the bench that can change a game as frustrating as that can be for the player on the bench.

When was the last time we had a pair of strikers that you didn't feel left us significantly weaker when one played over the other?

At the minute the shirt is Waghorn's and as he said, it's great competition we have, Marriott now needs to show when given the opportunity why he deserves it back, likewise with Carson. Exactly the headache Lampard wants to have.

That’s two or three posts I’ve now seen from you that make sense...your missus hasn’t stole your log in details has she ?

Frank's favoured formation is 4-3-3 and he's already said it comes from playing in an England 4-4-2, where he and Gerrard were always overrun.

Nowadays I do think players have to fit into more flexible systems, because of the move to total football, however, I don't think that should necessarily mean you can't play a front 2 who are mobile and close down play.

43 minutes ago, David said:

We often struggle to get a reasonable service to one striker. Trying to get the ball to two using one player less seems optimistic.

1 hour ago, David said:

Martin and Bent (Loan period)

Archived