Waghorn

chadlad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him. Unlike most of our first XI, he looks like a tough little sod. Loved the way he insisted on taking that first penalty despite being prone with cramp not 10 mins earlier.

Saw plenty of instances of him providing cover for Bogle last night but would prefer him more central. Maybe a deeper striker role could suit him - his touch is good & his awareness seems sound (he was part of the slick move that set up Mount in the first half). Also think him being there could bring the best out of Marriott, who has looked a little isolated in recent matches.

i really like Waghorn, he has attitude.  Didn't like him much in previous seasons playing against him, but appreciated his quality.  Am delighted he is a Ram now and hope we use him to his fullest extent.  Loved his interview and understood every word and i am Icelandic. 

Still thinking about that amazing cross he pulled off from the left for Lawrence, it was sweet and that header goal, a beauty.  He´s got a lot more like that in him i am betting.

4 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Love him. Reminds me facially of a fatter Vyd’s and play wise of Martin. He makes us tick. I hope Frank can see this. The only reason I can imagine frank doesn’t like him is because maybe he’s a bit lazy in training? Ask Bielsa it will be on his spreadsheet/PowerPoint ?

That’s what I suspect too. He did get game time early season up front but was very quiet. I think it took him a while to settle...sometimes it’s hard to “fit in” straight away...but that game v Soton will have helped him enormously.

10 hours ago, Franks Tanked said:

I agree he's better through the middle. Being a Suffolk based Ram I got to see a few of his games for Ipswich last year and he played in a Role between the midfield and striker (between the lines as they all it nowadays). Joe Garner was the battler/runner up top similar to Jack Marriott for us. 

The only problem is that is the area that Mount currently plays his best stuff so hard to get them both in the same side in their best positions. 

Thinking ahead to next year if we were without Mount and Wilson and still in the Championship ☹.

Carson/Roos

Bogle      Keogh   Tomori?   Malone 

Evans   Huddlestone?

Holmes        Waghorn      Lawrence 

Marriott 

Two goal keepers, that should help sort out our clean sheet problem.

However I am not sure the FA will go for it

If we want the best out of Waghorn he has to play as a front 2 with Wilson playing just behind and a midfield 3 of Bryson (deep with Lawrence and Mount either side 

Something like

Carson

Holmes                Keogh                  Tomori                            Malone

Lawrence                  Bryson                     Mount

Wilson 

Marriott                        Waghorn

3 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

If we want the best out of Waghorn he has to play as a front 2 with Wilson playing just behind and a midfield 3 of Bryson (deep with Lawrence and Mount either side 

Something like

Carson

Holmes                Keogh                  Tomori                            Malone

Lawrence                  Bryson                     Mount

Wilson 

Marriott                        Waghorn

We'll never get the best out of Waghorn then ?

I still think he needs to be in our starting XI either through the middle or on the wing. He gives us aggression and holds the ball up, one thing that is lacking throughout our side once we get it forward. It would also help Marriott out as you can see recently he is getting more and more frustrated feeding off scraps. 

He also needs a run of games in the side. I do think we could play with a 2 up front in a 4-3-1-2 style or even the diamond 4-1-2-1-2 if we are hell bent on the holding midfielder. We don't really play with that much conventional width anyway so why not give this a go? It also gets Wilson where he is most dangerous which is in between the lines: I'd opt for something like: 

Carson 

Bogle  Keogh Tomori Cole (?)

Holmes Hudds Mount 

Wilson 

Marriott     Waghorn 

or 

Hudds

Holmes        Mount 

Wilson 

Marriott     Waghorn 

Just spit-balling ideas here. Will be 4-3-3 on Saturday with Waghorn back on the bench I imagine... 

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

It’s a travesty he’s not played more since coming back from Injury. Our best performances were when he was in the team.

i hope he makes the eleven on Saturday. We need someone with physical presence up front

He’s a clever player to and his link up play was excellent the other night,Marriott looked liked he was carrying a knock so he might start up top tomorrow if not wide right as he gets in our best team all day long.

13 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I still think he needs to be in our starting XI either through the middle or on the wing. He gives us aggression and holds the ball up, one thing that is lacking throughout our side once we get it forward. It would also help Marriott out as you can see recently he is getting more and more frustrated feeding off scraps. 

He also needs a run of games in the side. I do think we could play with a 2 up front in a 4-3-1-2 style or even the diamond 4-1-2-1-2 if we are hell bent on the holding midfielder. We don't really play with that much conventional width anyway so why not give this a go? It also gets Wilson where he is most dangerous which is in between the lines: I'd opt for something like: 

Carson 

Holmes Hudds Mount 

Wilson 

Marriott     Waghorn 

or 

Hudds

Holmes        Mount 

Wilson 

Marriott     Waghorn 

Just spit-balling ideas here. Will be 4-3-3 on Saturday with Waghorn back on the bench I imagine... 

Isn't that a sexual term? ?

Foghorn Waghorn is a big, overweight rooster with a strange accent. He has a bombastic and somewhat unrefined personality, added to which he shows a penchant for mischief. An obscure reference, the name "Waghorn" refers to a type of persistent rubbery stiffy. 

Waghorn fancies himself as something of a mentor figure to the smaller and younger characters, particularly Harry Wilson and Mason Mount, tossing off bits of self-styled sagacity interjected with phrases like "Pay attention, son", or "Look at me when I'm talkin' to ya, boy".

Info from Bielsa's powerpoint presentation.

Waghorn got MoM today playing wide. I thought that when Marriott went off Waghorn would play through the middle with Mason going wide but MB seemed to go central. Soon after Nugent came on to play through the middle with MB out left and MW out right.

Looks like Frank doesn’t see Waghorn as his centre forward.

Archived