Kelle Roos

Sean

4 hours ago, angieram said:

I think he has been remarkably patient at Derby County but he has to become a regular starter somewhere soon if he doesn't want his career to pass him by.

I thought that for a keeper he is still relatively young with time on his his side.

However he is the same age that Colin Boulton was when he broke through. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing out from the back isn't Carson's bag as he's no good on the ball. This is why he's looked shaky. His stopping is a good as ever but it's the new style of play which calls for him to be better on the ball which exposes him more.

It's tough on Carson but a ball playing keeper will prevent more goals by being able to link up better with the back four than wonder saves made by Carson.

i.e. not giving away possession in the first place.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

I'm not actually saying that he should be starting but look at this a different way - if an outfield player came in and did as well as Roos, you would probably be suggesting the outfield player keeps his spot.

I'd also say that Roos pulled off a very good save in the first game to deny Redmond, and his distribution is better than Carson.

It's not the same at all. Not even close.

A goalkeeper is a victim of circumstance for want of better terminology. He is reactive.

Whereas an outfield player is for the most part proactive. They can go and control a game whereas a keeper has to let it come to him.

He did fine. The two major saves were reaction blocks and both were very poor finishes by the striker. 

But that isn't his fault, because he did what he needed to.

Carson has been utterly outstanding in games for us (way better in a few than Roos was last night) and he has done it until recently over a long period of time.

You don't even have to go back far to find Derby keepers who bounced from God-like to ass-like.

Go and look at a list of Derby keepers just over the last 20 years and almost all of them were revered at one time.

I don't fk about Roos, but I am saying last night was neither here nor there. Sure he didn't trip over his own shoelace, but his saves were no more than you would expect at this level and more down to poor finishing than great goalkeeping.

On 17/01/2019 at 20:43, Hathersage Ram said:

Carson is no longer an automatic choice. In my opinion. It has yet to be established if Roos is the answer. But it’s entirely the correct time to be asking the question. 

On 17/01/2019 at 22:18, Hathersage Ram said:

This is a forum. Of opinions. 

My opinion which I stand by is that Carson is no longer an automatic selection. 

I didn’t say drop him. But neither did I say play him. All I said was he’s no longer a certainty.

regarding Roos there is only one way to establish if he is better than the current aging Carson. Play him and see. 

On 17/01/2019 at 20:53, dcfc4ever said:

Let’s leave player selection to Mr Lampard

I think Mr Lampard has spoken dcfc4ever

On 17/01/2019 at 22:07, Andicis said:

Genuinely never seen anyone call him the best keeper in the league before. Nobody is saying a keeper can never make a mistake either, it's all about regularity of the mistakes Carson is making, and his inability to kick or come for crosses.

Have you been watching him this season? He's made a huge amount of errors. Most directly leading to goals for the opposition.

Literally none of this is relevant on whether he should or shouldn't start this season. Nobody is saying he was bad for the 2 seasons previous, but he's not been good this year. Loyalty is frankly irrelevant, football is a cut throat business.

Um have you watched Sky Sports whenever Middlesbrough play? Liam Rosenior basically has a semi on the whole time talking about him. And he's not made that many errors! He's made just as many fabulous saves as he has mistakes. If you want your keeper rushing out to a ball that has no danger of going anywhere and nearly getting himself sent off with 10 minutes to go, be my guest. What? No loyalty in football? So you're saying if Keogh made a couple of mistakes you'd drop him? I love Keogh but he has made mistakes as well and from your profile picture I'm presuming you wouldn't drop him on a dime.

On 17/01/2019 at 22:57, ramit said:

Some fans want to give Roos a chance after doing well in the cup and you berate them for lack of loyalty?  i am one of those fans.   i have one loyalty in football, it is to Derby County.  No player is bigger than this club.

did I say Scott Carson was bigger than the club? Of course not, that's a ridiculous assumption to make. I just think it's ironic that some fans are calling for Carson's head after a couple of mistakes and want him dropped for a guy who couldn't save a penalty if the person literally pointed to where they were going to hit it. I don't see any threads about Tomori being dropped after this howler today. Again, there are many problems with this team and out goalkeeper is certainly not one of them!

8 minutes ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

did I say Scott Carson was bigger than the club? Of course not, that's a ridiculous assumption to make. I just think it's ironic that some fans are calling for Carson's head after a couple of mistakes and want him dropped for a guy who couldn't save a penalty if the person literally pointed to where they were going to hit it. I don't see any threads about Tomori being dropped after this howler today. Again, there are many problems with this team and out goalkeeper is certainly not one of them!

You clearly don't know a good keeper when you see one, if you actually think Carson's performances have been anywhere near acceptable .He has made many mistake and his distribution and ability to claim crosses is piss poor, there is no room for loyalty in football I don't give a duck whether someone was good last season , this season is what matters.  Roos has not proven himself yet as it is early days , but so far he looks promising and more suited to how we want to play.

Just now, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

You clearly don't know a good keeper when you see one, if you actually think Carson's performances have been acceptable this season, He has made many mistake and his distribution and ability to claim crosses is piss poor, there is no room for loyalty in football I don't give a duck whether someone was good last season , this season is what matters.  Roos has not proven himself yet as it is early days , but so far he looks promising and more suited to how we want to play.

oh my lord sugar me tits and call me Barbara, I'm not even going to grace that mess of a post with an actual response. Lord.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Roos impressed me today. I wasn’t his biggest fan a few years ago but his passing his better than Carson’s. Also, unlike Carson, he isn’t afraid to come off his line which is important with the high line Lampard wants to play.

He came off his line for their goal - didn't get there.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He came off his line for their goal - didn't get there.

He’s not going to get there every time, but it’s better than not coming off the line at all. He came way off his line on one occasion on a Reading attack and did very well in intercepting it

Just now, McLovin said:

He’s not going to get there every time, but it’s better than not coming off the line at all. He came way off his line on one occasion on a Reading attack and did very well in intercepting it

So that's one for, one against. 50-50.

Failed to quote, but this is in answer to Alfonzo

You certainly seemed to imply it with the no loyalty poke at fans wanting Roos to be given a chance.  i like reading different opinions on all things Derby, but what i don't like is when fans speak down to other fans for voicing their legitimate opinions.

Roos has been with us a number of years and his contract is running out soon.  It makes sense to see if he can cut in this league.  So far, so good, he played in a winning side today.  Carson has been fantastic for us, but his form has arguably dropped a bit recently.  It's good for him to know that he is not automatically chosen each game.  If he still has personal ambition, which i don't doubt, he will try and up his game.  A win win situation, i would say.

He came out miles for one unable to suppress his desire to play left back for a bit. 

Still at least he doesn't look like he's throwing up with nerves anymore. 

Sign that contract son.

Not sure who is the solution really, Scott or Kelle, just glad that we appear to have two decent keepers on the books. Scott's form has been a tad up and down this season and it looked likely we'd need to bring someone else in. Not at all convinced we need to now unless we happen to get promoted. Impressed with Kelle coming in and trying to take his chance and he has good scope for improvement with games and experience.

31 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He came out miles for one unable to suppress his desire to play left back for a bit. 

Still at least he doesn't look like he's throwing up with nerves anymore. 

Sign that contract son.

A pedantic person would correct you as he appeared in the right back position not left back.

I am a pedantic person.

Archived