Kelle Roos

Sean

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rammieib said:

That’s harsh, the second hit him because he did a brilliant job in being in the right position to block the shot!

He did do a good job, but ffs, it was 2 shots.

Are you old enough to remember Yakka Banoivic or Roger Jones?

Both were journeymen keepers who won DCFC player of the year (back-to-back I think).

I don't think there is a position that a player can flatter to deceive like a keeper.

I'm not saying Roos isn't, or won't be great, but I am saying this is all very premature. Carson has done it over and over again, even to some extent at international level, whereas Roos is a newbie who had a couple of saves in one game.

Pump the brakes, as they say here in the US. Hopefully, he's great but the odds are against him and with Carson we have a top 5 Championship keeper imho.

Really pleased for Roos - I was a little surprised he hadn't made his mark with us yet.

3 years ago he spent the second half of the season at AFC Wimbledon & was their number one as they won promotion to League One via the playoffs. They absolutely loved him down there - he really stood out as a commanding keeper who liked to dominate his area & at times had something of a Neuer/Jens Lehmann strut about him. Given that he was only 23 at the time, that was quite impressive.

Definitely think he's superior to Jonathan Mitchell & worth keeping at the club to see if he can challenge Carson. His demeanour makes me think he's a real confidence player. He definitely seemed to grow in stature after his save from Long (the first half hour saw some questionable kicks) & by the end, he was happy with the ball at his feet & obviously made that cracking save from Redmond.

57 minutes ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

Darren Randolph has made some atrocious errors this season and is regarded as the best keeper in the league!

Genuinely never seen anyone call him the best keeper in the league before. Nobody is saying a keeper can never make a mistake either, it's all about regularity of the mistakes Carson is making, and his inability to kick or come for crosses.

4 hours ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

Questionable form? What questionable form

Have you been watching him this season? He's made a huge amount of errors. Most directly leading to goals for the opposition.

The loyalty of some fans on here is truly astonishing, Carson has been amazing for us for 2 seasons.

Literally none of this is relevant on whether he should or shouldn't start this season. Nobody is saying he was bad for the 2 seasons previous, but he's not been good this year. Loyalty is frankly irrelevant, football is a cut throat business.

1 hour ago, dcfc4ever said:

Let’s leave player selection to Mr Lampard

This is a forum. Of opinions. 

My opinion which I stand by is that Carson is no longer an automatic selection. 

I didn’t say drop him. But neither did I say play him. All I said was he’s no longer a certainty.

regarding Roos there is only one way to establish if he is better than the current aging Carson. Play him and see. 

The loyalty of some fans on here is truly astonishing, Carson has been amazing for us for 2 seasons. Questionable form? What questionable form? Me made a mistake in the Leeds game. So did pretty much every player on the pitch - they were all poor. He saved us against Bristol City, he saved us against Norwich, he saved us against Middlesbrough, he made a great save in the game against Sheffield United. There are many, many amendments we can make to this squad and our system, but our goalkeeper is certainly not one of them.

Some fans want to give Roos a chance after doing well in the cup and you berate them for lack of loyalty?  i am one of those fans.   i have one loyalty in football, it is to Derby County.  No player is bigger than this club.

13 hours ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

Shaky this season? I think some fans need to wake up and see that they ain't gonna find much better in the Championship. Darren Randolph has made some atrocious errors this season and is regarded as the best keeper in the league! The Preston goalie let the ball run under his own foot into his net! It's ridiculous, that's what it is. No-one's suggesting dropping Mason Mount when he certainly hasn't been very good recently. But let's not question a guy who's been here 6 months, let's question the guy who's time and time again got us out of sticky situations. I'm not suggesting dropping Mount by the way, just making a point.

I didn’t say I would drop him and he is still a top shot stopper it’s his weakness on crosses that worries me but I agree we have other areas on the pitch we should be worrying about more.

18 hours ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

The loyalty of some fans on here is truly astonishing, Carson has been amazing for us for 2 seasons. Questionable form? What questionable form? Me made a mistake in the Leeds game. So did pretty much every player on the pitch - they were all poor. He saved us against Bristol City, he saved us against Norwich, he saved us against Middlesbrough, he made a great save in the game against Sheffield United. There are many, many amendments we can make to this squad and our system, but our goalkeeper is certainly not one of them.

I think it's called the Keogh effect. You have to ignore the fact that generally he does a lot of good things and that fact that other players may be equally at fault but instead focus on one or two mistakes he may have made.

I think it's a shame for Roos as he did play well against Southampton but I wouldn't personally drop Carson even after the Leeds game or the other occasional errors.  

Wednesday night was a long, high profile game and Roos will get a chance to recover mentally if not physically and will then get his next start very soon - and deservedly so - at Accrington.

If we'd lost on Wednesday Lampard might have a tougher decision to make.

Tell you what, though; this is Roos' opportunity to impress and show he can do a good job for Derby County. It's exciting, isn't it? 

I thought he had a really good game, but the most impressive thing was how much more commanding he seems to be on crosses into the box. I felt much more confident somehow than with Carson. Carson's a good stopper, but his kicking is dodgy, and I just think Roos commands the 5 yard box better. Tough one, but I'd want to see him against championship opposition sooner rather than later. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Tell you what, though; this is Roos' opportunity to impress and show he can do a good job for Derby County. It's exciting, isn't it? 

It was great to see him in the midst of the celebrations at the end against Southampton. For someone who's well into his twenties, I doubt he's had many great moments like that. Hopefully there'll be more to come.

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

It was great to see him in the midst of the celebrations at the end against Southampton. For someone who's well into his twenties, I doubt he's had many great moments like that. Hopefully there'll be more to come.

Didn't he win promotion at Wembley with one of his loan clubs?

I think he has been remarkably patient at Derby County but he has to become a regular starter somewhere soon if he doesn't want his career to pass him by.

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

He did do a good job, but ffs, it was 2 shots.

Are you old enough to remember Yakka Banoivic or Roger Jones?

Both were journeymen keepers who won DCFC player of the year (back-to-back I think).

I don't think there is a position that a player can flatter to deceive like a keeper.

I'm not saying Roos isn't, or won't be great, but I am saying this is all very premature. Carson has done it over and over again, even to some extent at international level, whereas Roos is a newbie who had a couple of saves in one game.

Pump the brakes, as they say here in the US. Hopefully, he's great but the odds are against him and with Carson we have a top 5 Championship keeper imho.

I'm not actually saying that he should be starting but look at this a different way - if an outfield player came in and did as well as Roos, you would probably be suggesting the outfield player keeps his spot.

I'd also say that Roos pulled off a very good save in the first game to deny Redmond, and his distribution is better than Carson.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Wednesday night was a long, high profile game and Roos will get a chance to recover mentally if not physically and will then get his next start very soon - and deservedly so - at Accrington.

If we'd lost on Wednesday Lampard might have a tougher decision to make.

That's a great point.

Our next game, after Saturday, is another cup game, so Roos will almost definitely start - if he performs well there, then (aside from the fact we may have defensive questions - when don't we) then the decision is a bit harder for Frank. But Roos is used to it - he knows his role is backup, for now, but will also be aware of Carson's age and will want to impress when called upon.

Incidentally, how's Mitchell getting on?

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

and his distribution is better than Carson.

I'm not so sure about that, his distribution in the first 20 mins or so wasn't very good. I'd have to see a lot more of him to be able to make a judgement call on whether he is a good all round keeper.

22 hours ago, rammieib said:

Scott would pull a worldy and then kick the ball straight to the attacked who would shoot directly at him on the ground and the ball would go under Scott when he tries to use his hand to stop it instead of his feet. He would then get the ball out of the net and punch it back to the half way line.

.......... well at least it would go roughly in the direction of the half way line!

18 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really pleased for Roos - I was a little surprised he hadn't made his mark with us yet.

3 years ago he spent the second half of the season at AFC Wimbledon & was their number one as they won promotion to League One via the playoffs. They absolutely loved him down there - he really stood out as a commanding keeper who liked to dominate his area & at times had something of a Neuer/Jens Lehmann strut about him. Given that he was only 23 at the time, that was quite impressive.

Definitely think he's superior to Jonathan Mitchell & worth keeping at the club to see if he can challenge Carson. His demeanour makes me think he's a real confidence player. He definitely seemed to grow in stature after his save from Long (the first half hour saw some questionable kicks) & by the end, he was happy with the ball at his feet & obviously made that cracking save from Redmond.

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but when the Rams are doing their pre-match warm-up, Roos virtually never does goalkeeper warm ups - he is always playing the ball with his feet, and his control of the ball looks good. He may well be able to take on a sweeper-type role as part of his goalkeeper role.

Not sure whether Kelle will displace Scott or not but there were plenty on here suggesting that Scott needed some competition for the starter's slot and I'd say he now has that. It'd definitely aid the young lad's development were he to ge a few games and doubtless Frank will be mindful of that. Personally, I'd be tempted to leave him in for Reading and see how he gets on. I'm not sure that he's as good as a peak form Carson but equally. I'm not convinced Scot's in peak form either. Tough decision for Frank but a good problem to have, I guess.

Archived