Are we Overreacting?

erathirea

35 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I think last night was Frank's reaction to 3 games where we'd started really poorly - he tried something different where he hoped we'd get width from the wing-backs and have two up front to prosper from that. Unfortunately, we too often slipped into a 7-1-2 formation because both Bryson and Huddlestone looked leggy and couldn't get up to support Wilson, leaving him isolated and ineffective.

I think we have to accept that (for all his quality on the ball), Hudds simply can't play 2 games a week for the rest of the season - he looked like he was running through treacle last night - and I'm afraid that Bryson is past his best - he's always relied on his energy and ability to get about the pitch, but in recent games he's been a yard off the pace and has hardly managed a completed tackle - we desperately need energy in the middle of the pitch, but we have none with these two (or rather, none that impacts the outcome of the game). Add in the fact that Holmes looks lost as a wing back and it's a worrying time just before the Forest game...

I have to say it was glaringly obvious last night that Hudds was lacking and as for Bryson, he has been off the pace for most of the season but Frank still insists on playing him for some reason.

Sort midfield and hopefully it will come

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

But all things considered Franks done a decent job. We have an identity it’s just in recent weeks the performances have gone away slightly due to a number of factors highlighted above.

Without trying to be negative, I'd disagree with this point and say we haven't built an identity.

Other than goal kicks out to our defenders, 15 passes to end up back in the same position but under more pressure, I am not really sure how we are trying to play.

You say our last few performances have been bad as though they are out of sync with the rest of the season. As I said on another thread I think on the whole our performances have been average to bad with a handful of excellent performances, in my opinion there have been a lot more bad than good.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember calling this out as bs a while back.

Maybe it's me looking stupid now?

still can't see 7th and we won't finish 16th but the premise has some value.  The stats showed we relied too much on impressive goals and the odds were that they would dry up.  I thought we would use this as a platform and start dominating matches but as we have seen that hasn't happened.  

the biggest concern will be Mel I think.  Yet another season of failure is likely which has been made worse from the expectation of auto promotion (it was only a couple of weeks ago that this was being discussed).Constant disappointment will affect attitude and level of support

Just now, Spanish said:

the biggest concern will be Mel I think.  Yet another season of failure is likely which has been made worse from the expectation of auto promotion (it was only a couple of weeks ago that this was being discussed).Constant disappointment will affect attitude and level of support

Not sure how you come to this conclusion?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Expectation of automatic promotion from who? 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think we’ve seen enough this season to understand the brand of football Frank wants to play. It’s vibrant and exciting to watch. The issue right now is consistency. 

There has been no consistency from FL. Even when we were playing well. The players must be as confused as the fans?

1 minute ago, David said:

Expectation of automatic promotion from who? 

People who listened to Lampard! he said we had a squad capable of automatic promotion,then promptly ignored some of them.Why ? is it all down to finance ? We had to pay WBA when thorne played.Is it the same for the other Sam rush signings? We have replaced Cloughs cheap journey men with expensive [transfer fees and wages] journey men.No wonder we are in a financial mess.

Just now, Turnstile said:

People who listened to Lampard! he said we had a squad capable of automatic promotion,then promptly ignored some of them.Why ? is it all down to finance ? We had to pay WBA when thorne played.Is it the same for the other Sam rush signings? We have replaced Cloughs cheap journey men with expensive [transfer fees and wages] journey men.No wonder we are in a financial mess.

Again, there's a difference between aiming for the top 2 and expecting it, that was the question I was asking.

I think you would struggle to find many that expected top 2 this season, that's not to say we shouldn't be targeting it as should all clubs challenging for promotion.

Remember when you learnt to drive? You over steered, over braked and crashed the gears!

I think that's where Frank is now; there is no smoothness to his management, instead of a tweak its wholesale changes, maybe he'll learn or maybe he'll be Ranieri mk 2 the perennial tinker man

1 minute ago, David said:

Again, there's a difference between aiming for the top 2 and expecting it, that was the question I was asking.

I think you would struggle to find many that expected top 2 this season, that's not to say we shouldn't be targeting it as should all clubs challenging for promotion.

David I never expected top 2. 

16 minutes ago, toddy said:

Frank, has said he wants promotion.

Although he didnt use the word automatic, but there again he didnt say play offs either.

4 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Do you expect him to say anything else other than he thinks his players are capable to achieving promotion?  I don't think it'd be wise, even from a novice manager to come out and say "Our squad as a whole will be lucky to finish above 8th place"...  

Despite the occasional stunning performance, I've never wavered from the belief that finishing in the top 6 would be a massive achievement taking into consideration the turn around of the playing staff (particularly the reduction of the age of the squad) and the inexperience of the coaching staff.

Yes I think Frank's made some mistakes, and I think the fact he still doesn't know his best IX (even taking into account injuries) is a little concerning, but over all he's doing a good job under the circumstances.  I just think everyone should step of the hype train for a while and look at things objectively.

We have some good players playing poorly .I myself suggested maybe going three at he back but in my wildest dreams didn't envisage it with the players chosen last night.

Frank does rotate too much to my way of thinking ,can't remember the game now but he made 5 changes earlier on in the season .Good promotion winning sides are settled sides and changes made on a like for like basis if required .

The balance of midfield is dreadful and we have three players TL, JM and MW that all look better playing down the middle but we can't accomodate all of them .

Add this to a poor January window a and we are where we are.

It's no surprise that we've played best against either premiership opposition or championship teams who are willing to give us space and have an open game.

With the squad we have, we're always going to struggle against big physical sides who bully our smaller & younger players and are happy to sit back.

It's the same problem we've had for years (no effective plan B). Frank is clearly trying to find one but when it doesn't come off, is criticised for making too many changes.

I'm not just making excuses for last night but when some people say it was as bad as the 1-4 Sunderland last season, they need to have a word with themselves. We have a manager who is willing and actively trying to set us up differently for different games & I, for one, would rather that than one who stubbornly sticks to the same game plan/squad/formation and hopes for the best.

Archived