Club 84 - Supporter’s Group

Club84

I think we should make Pride Park the ground of absolute silence. Absolute, pin drop silence. Other teams would hate coming here. Imagine how intimidating that atmosphere would be?

Imagine having to take penalty with 30,000 people watching in absolute deathly, eerie, silence.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I cannot believe that after fans have been moaning on and on for months about the lack of atmosphere, as soon as a group come along to try and change things, they get shot down like this.

Forget self-policing, we’re self-assassinating.

I think it sounds good if you can pull it off. I particularly like the plans you have for away days.

I don't think everyone is moaning, think people are just interested why a new group is being set up, as opposed to supporting groups that already exist, and what exactly they are intending on doing differently to previous groups to improve atmosphere. 

As far as I can see, most of the ideas have already been tried. 

As an aside, and sorry if this makes me sound like a pompous rick, this is a group of people that self admittedly thought it was a better idea to stay at home and get hammered rather than vote on the future of their country...so I'll excuse people for not taking them too seriously ?

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I think we should make Pride Park the ground of absolute silence. Absolute, pin drop silence. Other teams would hate coming here. Imagine how intimidating that atmosphere would be?

Imagine having to take penalty with 30,000 people watching in absolute deathly, eerie, silence.

It's been done... Portman Road anyone?

sorry if this makes me sound like a pompous rick

Apology accepted ?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think everyone is moaning, think people are just interested why a new group is being set up, as opposed to supporting groups that already exist

I hope I don't come across as being completely ignorant, but I don't think we have any groups that are working on improving the atmosphere in Pride Park?

We have the Official Supporters Club, Punjabi Rams and a few branches for organised meets, travel etc. 

But others such as the 1884 Group and the more recent South Stand group which the name escapes me right now no longer operate for various reasons.

2 hours ago, David said:

Apology accepted ?

I hope I don't come across as being completely ignorant, but I don't think we have any groups that are working on improving the atmosphere in Pride Park?

We have the Official Supporters Club, Punjabi Rams and a few branches for organised meets, travel etc. 

But others such as the 1884 Group and the more recent South Stand group which the name escapes me right now no longer operate for various reasons.

In which case I stand corrected, I wasn't aware that the other groups no longer operated. I assumed with the flags being out for the Forest match someone must still be doing something behind the scenes.

I also don't think atmosphere is something that can, nor should, be artificially created.

Having a designated singing block won't really change the fact that the other 80% of the ground sits there in near silence. 

If you want to work on atmosphere, the starting point would be scrambling mobile phone signals so nobody could use their phone inside the ground!

11 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

It's in your DNA youth winds me up so much. It makes us sound amateurish. In fact, we need a new Mic guy, he's boring now. 

Don't mind the DNA thing but am confused as to why they now play Sweet Caroline at every game.

The point is though I think the club might need to try harder (perhaps they do already but I've not noticed) to find out what the wider fan base (rather than small groups at forums etc that may or not be representative of the majority) think about things like: when SBW and the poem are played, when should they turn the music off, do we need a more recognisable tune/anthem for the players to run out to, how can they get bums on seats a little earlier etc

I'm not sure of the best method to reach us all but some kind of survey to season ticket holders might be a start. 

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

In which case I stand corrected, I wasn't aware that the other groups no longer operated. I assumed with the flags being out for the Forest match someone must still be doing something behind the scenes.

I also don't think atmosphere is something that can, nor should, be artificially created.

Having a designated singing block won't really change the fact that the other 80% of the ground sits there in near silence. 

If you want to work on atmosphere, the starting point would be scrambling mobile phone signals so nobody could use their phone inside the ground!

Flags for the Forest game were organised by the club, the 1884 Group who handmade the flags, organised the displays and prepared Pride Park haven't had a display for a while now. Their efforts were mocked on social media by those who are too cool for waving a flag.

Not sure what cracked off with the other group, the flag was surfed one game, they fought each other in the stand the next and were gone. 

Dare I say Celtic and Crystal Palace are two examples of how you can create an atmosphere if you bring like minded fans together, if Club 84 can achieve this they could be on to something. Both grounds would be nothing without those groups, not that I approve of the choice of songs/banners that come out of the corner at Celtic Park!

The problem is as far as I'm aware the club are reluctant to move season ticket holders out of their seats, unless they have had a change of heart or can be convinced over the summer looking ahead to the 20/21 season, you would have to look at other areas of the ground such as the North Stand with the block which is empty fairly often next to the NE corner.

I think we all know the idea of the South Stand was great, but the execution let it down by making it the cheapest ticket in the ground. 

The club and manager have called on the fans to get behind the team more, get Pride Park rocking, if Club 84 can help achieve that I think it's in all of our interests to get behind them and be supportive of this group, even if others have tried and failed before.

It's a complex problem but the reward are great. Palace have been very successful despite not being historically well-known for being vociferous. As much as I prefer the idea that an atmosphere should be created organically, travelling around most grounds today suggest that it is not really working. 

The big question is would you be prepared to move your seat to house them? I certainly would if there is enough wiggle room in the South stand to stay in there. Having said that I want to be in the singing section anyway. Maybe there could be a scheme where people who want to be in the singing section can give up their original seat for a season but have the option to get it back if it does not work.

I would be tempted to say that the process begins with organising the away following. Once there is a significant following then there can be pressure placed for changes at home.

40 minutes ago, David said:

Flags for the Forest game were organised by the club, the 1884 Group who handmade the flags, organised the displays and prepared Pride Park haven't had a display for a while now. Their efforts were mocked on social media by those who are too cool for waving a flag.

Not sure what cracked off with the other group, the flag was surfed one game, they fought each other in the stand the next and were gone. 

Dare I say Celtic and Crystal Palace are two examples of how you can create an atmosphere if you bring like minded fans together, if Club 84 can achieve this they could be on to something. Both grounds would be nothing without those groups, not that I approve of the choice of songs/banners that come out of the corner at Celtic Park!

The problem is as far as I'm aware the club are reluctant to move season ticket holders out of their seats, unless they have had a change of heart or can be convinced over the summer looking ahead to the 20/21 season, you would have to look at other areas of the ground such as the North Stand with the block which is empty fairly often next to the NE corner.

I think we all know the idea of the South Stand was great, but the execution let it down by making it the cheapest ticket in the ground. 

The club and manager have called on the fans to get behind the team more, get Pride Park rocking, if Club 84 can help achieve that I think it's in all of our interests to get behind them and be supportive of this group, even if others have tried and failed before.

Could only do that if you move the families from the North elsewhere due to chants, etc. Moving them to the West would be be the best as it's the furthest from the South, North and away fans in the South East. However, it's currently the most expensive stand for tickets and the club would lose out by having cheaper family tickets there. Having singing sections in both the South Stand and the North Stand is something which appeals to me though.

Quite a few people buy tickets in the south stand purely because they're the cheapest. Moving these people else where and allowing people who want to sing take up those seats should help too.

How can seeing the way the 1884 Group was treated not make you give up on Pride Park?

People don't want an atmosphere. They honestly don't. 

Those few that do already create one. 

That 1884 Group gave every opportunity. They put flags in seats, Derby put scarves, the music was turned down for a few games, they told people where they could find them. They tried to introduce new songs and arranged meets for anyone who wanted a more casual chat. 

Pride Park is a dull negative ground. 

I find it hilarious when we have a full ground and people start talking about expanding the stadium!! For who? 10,000 glory hunting moaners?

Everyone has tried everything. I wish a new group all the best but I hope you don't spend too much time or money on it. 

Derby do have potential but this idea that we have amongst our fans that we always back our team is balls. Our away numbers are not good. Our home numbers are good but the atmosphere is as dead as any of the other grounds you mock. 

It's not a Derby problem. It's just football in the UK. But it seems to me that the Derby fan spends to much time thinking they are owed something, that the club let's them down, that the players let them down, that they belong in the PL. 

It's all a negative spin. If you can turn the attitude around and ignite some passion and get people to start thinking about how we can be the club we want to be instead of thinking about why we aren't there, then you will succeed. But all the best. 

It's just people. They are negative. Like I am in this post. 

People just like being pissed off. There's something quite wrong about our society. We like reality tv, Twitter, being thin, healthy, the perfect parent, the perfect partner, the perfect employee, we like getting stuff on finance because why should we wait? We like social media and being fake as duck. 

Everybody acts like they're on a stage now. All showing off how mighty we are. No wonder we are all suffering with mental health when we put ourselves under so much pressure and require so much maintenance. 

But yeah, people aren't about grouping together and creating something. It's all about what you can do for me. 

Create me an atmosphere, bitch! Create one and I will come. 

Until then I'm going to complain about the lack of atmosphere. I'll boo the team, spend my money going to watch them and complain that my money puts them players on 100k per week. They don't deserve that. Now I'm bitter about them. I'm going onto social media to abuse them. But they better not saying anything dodgy because I will hold that against them forever.

I blame X Factor and Twitter. Everyone is a diva!!! 

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Could only do that if you move the families from the North elsewhere due to chants, etc. Moving them to the West would be be the best as it's the furthest from the South, North and away fans in the South East. However, it's currently the most expensive stand for tickets and the club would lose out by having cheaper family tickets there. Having singing sections in both the South Stand and the North Stand is something which appeals to me though.

Quite a few people buy tickets in the south stand purely because they're the cheapest. Moving these people else where and allowing people who want to sing take up those seats should help too.

In my a corner always seems the best place to create / start an atmosphere. I sit up in the North East corner currently , with my 6 year old lad and it's not a bad atmosphere already , without even trying . So add some actual organisation and your onto a winner. 

Saying all that though in terms of atmosphere Leeds showed us how to do it at home last Friday . Yes they were winning , yes they were top of the league but we'd be no where near that noisey in that position.

The guy who sits behind me somes up the mentality of a lot of Derby fans . He never once stands through a game , untill the 85 the minute when it's time for him to go . He constantly makes little comments about standing or celebrating , like he's constantly judging you . Then on the odd time I make eye contact and he insists on talking to me , he just slags off the team. ducking winds me up .

@Alpha has nailed it again, although I'm still not forgiving him for that Leeds thread the other day. Not sure I ever will.

Whilst he has nailed it, I do hope that it doesn't discourage the new group and they have skin thick enough to see the project through. 

Would be nice if we could offer them some refuge in the brutal world of social media on this forum, show support rather than criticise and mock their efforts.

1 hour ago, David said:

I’d say a big part of the success for Celtic and Crystal Palace in this regard is that their supporters group have started from more grassroots position. I think a large part of the problem at Derby is that the club were involved from the very start so it doesn’t have the feel of an ‘authentic’ movement. A group of fans essentially got a lot of what they wanted very quickly, which I think has rubbed up a lot of other fans the wrong way whilst putting themselves on a pedestal (nothing wrong in that btw, but when  is a question over atmosphere then you have to accept the territory it comes with). 

If a group start up away from the club, where it’s not about getting as many people as possible as quickly as possible, set up songs all fans can sing, stop singing about collymore and that ‘x stand give us a song’ thing that’s rubbish, do proactive things like make fanzines to sell outside the stadium to spread their name and just make it about having a bit of a laugh then I think they will have a chance

2 hours ago, David said:

They're 2 groups of fake-ultras shamelessly ripping off foreign fan culture & in the case of Palace, are responsible for bringing the worst noise heard in 21st century football grounds (Dale Cavese) to these shores. The noise they make has little reference to the clubs they purport to support & the banners/flags they have are little more than a box-tick exercise. I'd hate this group to ape anything those two do.

The best support in this country have songs about their own team, about favourite players & heroes of yesteryear (Man Utd/Liverpool give out song sheets apparently). They have a strong sense of their own identity & don't allow away fans to take the p**s and dominate the crowd noise. 

Good luck @Club84 - if locating to South Stand isn't feasible initially, then worth looking to start elsewhere in the ground. I think some 'competition' with the South Stand might liven everyone up & increase the overall home noise - I've seen it work very well at West Ham, Leeds, FC United...

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

They're 2 groups of fake-ultras shamelessly ripping off foreign fan culture & in the case of Palace, are responsible for bringing the worst noise heard in 21st century football grounds (Dale Cavese) to these shores. The noise they make has little reference to the clubs they purport to support & the banners/flags they have are little more than a box-tick exercise. I'd hate this group to ape anything those two do.

The best support in this country have songs about their own team, about favourite players & heroes of yesteryear (Man Utd/Liverpool give out song sheets apparently). They have a strong sense of their own identity & don't allow away fans to take the p**s and dominate the crowd noise. 

Good luck @Club84 - if locating to South Stand isn't feasible initially, then worth looking to start elsewhere in the ground. I think some 'competition' with the South Stand might liven everyone up & increase the overall home noise - I've seen it work very well at West Ham, Leeds, FC United...

Interesting you mention Man Utd, whilst their away support cannot be questioned, Old Trafford can be just as quiet as any ground when things are not going their way.

Let's not forget that every football chant ever to be sang originated from Sheffield Wednesday, so if we are to hold any club responsible for the current generic song selection it should be them.

Would like to see us direct our noise more to pro Derby rather than Forest or Stan Collymore breaking his leg which has zero relevance, but I won't ever complain about noise which these do generate the most of and seeing Lampard start the bounce never fails to put a huge grin on my face.

29 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting you mention Man Utd, whilst their away support cannot be questioned, Old Trafford can be just as quiet as any ground when things are not going their way.

Not unfair comment re Old Trafford but they do have a lot of 'daytrippers' among their home crowd. Their actual fanbase is as raucous as anyone in this country.

Totally agree that we need more pro-Derby songs/chants at PP though - far too much focus on Forest.

The atmosphere will never ever be the same as the baseball ground when it was rocking. Football has changed that much, the baseball ground in the 70’s + 80’s was 99% full of young adult males between 15-30, predominantly angry who felt they had no voice in the running of the country and football was the outlet for all that anger. Now It is a safe, sterile environment where I dont think twice about letting my son go with his mates, my parents must have lost years off their lives worrying about me going up and down the country watching the supers back in the day!

but also don’t forget that the atmosphere at the baseball ground was also total cat poo a lot of the time.

good luck with the initiative-you can only do what you can do, football, as they say has gone all you can do is to make the best of a crappy situation 

Archived