La Liga 18/19

Bris Vegas

Lionel Messi aside, Watching Barca there is nothing about them anymore.

Coutinho is an amazing player, but he doesn’t look quite right there.

Suarez is way past his prime. Dembele is a donkey. The new Brazilian players seem like panic-buys and not typical Barca-type players.

Busquets and Pique have been there forever, they’ve probably lost the hunger after winning everything multiple times.

Jordi Alba is past his best too. 

That 2015 CL final against Juve was the last of the great Barca team, with Xavi bowing out. Iniesta’s departure lingered on as his influence waned and he played much less in the last 2 seasons. What a glorious player. But no longer there.

It’s a shame they’ve had nobody coming through to replace these guys. But then again, it was a golden generation which may never be repeated again. For me, the best ever team.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Suarez is way past his prime. Dembele is a donkey. The new Brazilian players seem like panic-buys and not typical Barca-type players.

Busquets and Pique have been there forever, they’ve probably lost the hunger after winning everything multiple times.

That 2015 CL final against Juve was the last of the great Barca team, with Xavi bowing out. Iniesta’s departure lingered on as his influence waned and he played much less in the last 2 seasons. What a glorious player. But no longer there.

It’s a shame they’ve had nobody coming through to replace these guys. But then again, it was a golden generation which may never be repeated again. For me, the best ever team.

The last Madrid team might have had more Champions League success, but the prime of that Barca team with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta was an absolute joy to watch. Barca needs a good rebuilding period.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lol.

18 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Lol.

Great strike. Doesn't alter the fact I think he's a donkey though. Doesn't suit a possession-game at all. 

He's the sort of player you'd back to do well in an end-to-end game with loads of space. He'd probably be decent at Liverpool. Still he's nowhere near a £90 million player.

56 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The last Madrid team might have had more Champions League success, but the prime of that Barca team with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta was an absolute joy to watch. Barca needs a good rebuilding period.

Yeah they won more trophies overall too, which surely defines the greatness of their team. Two trebles, and one year where they pocketed all six trophies on offer. No other Spanish team has ever done that.

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Brilliant couple of goals from Leo Messi tonight. 3-0 win over Alaves.

I'd have loved to have watched it , didn't realise untill yesterday that sky had lost the rights to show la Liga . I haven't found it in me to tell my 5 year old lad who is Messi mad . 

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'd have loved to have watched it , didn't realise untill yesterday that sky had lost the rights to show la Liga . I haven't found it in me to tell my 5 year old lad who is Messi mad . 

You could probably find it via facebook streams or something.

Messi had a pretty action-packed game. He hit the woodwork twice, forced the goalkeeper into a few other saves, played a cracker of a pass to put Coutinho through one on one which he fluffed.

It's incredible how he shares a pitch with the likes of Coutinho, Suarez, Rakitic and Busquets and dwarfs them all with his talent. He's a freak.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Is La Liga stronger this season or have the top sides just got worse?

Barca have dropped 7 points in their last 3 games (2 were at home) and they’re still top on goal difference.

The teams outside the big three in La Liga are vastly underrated. The rest of La Liga give Barca and Real more problems than what the rest of the PL does to City and now Liverpool.

But Barca have been poor this season. They're so reliant on Messi it's unreal. Dembele is a donkey, a worldie every now and again won't change that. He's miles off Neymar standard. Suarez isn't the same player anymore. Busquets and Rakitic declined with age.

I think the general level of Barca and Real Madrid has dipped. Like their reign as Europe's best is now over. Barca are a shadow of that Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Dani Alves, Puyol etc. side.

While Real Madrid have been on the decline domestically for a while. They may have turned up and won the CL last season, but the influence of key players looks over. Benzema is a donkey, Bale injured, Ronaldo no longer there, Ramos and Modric are 33, Marcelo 30.

You can see why Zidane left. They need a rebuild, and he didn't fancy it. The CL victory last season, helped with some dubious officiating in at least 3 games, masked over a poor season otherwise and a declining side.

Archived