Sign in to follow this  
David

Champions & Europa League 18/19

On 23/08/2018 at 19:22, Bris Vegas said:

Feel sorry for Burnley. Looks like their European adventure is coming to an abupt end already.

They’ve had some bad luck with the draw.

Don't think most Burnley fans will be too disappointed - chance to visit Istanbul and Athens against strong opponents.

2,000 also enjoyed Aberdeen trip. Unrealistic to expect to win the thing.

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

Don't think most Burnley fans will be too disappointed - chance to visit Istanbul and Athens against strong opponents.

2,000 also enjoyed Aberdeen trip. Unrealistic to expect to win the thing.

I don't think Burnley have much chance to win it, not nowadays with the CL teams dropping into the competition. But, I thought it was a little harsh for Burnley to have to play 3 qualifying games to reach the group stages, and the teams you've had to play are tough.

Both Rangers and Celtic have been given easy ties. Sevilla, RB Leipzig and Atalanta aside, I don't think you could have had a tougher opponent. 

Reaching the Europa League is the pinnacle for a team like Derby or Burnley. It's the sort of thing that would happen once in 30 years maybe, and that's if we're lucky. I'd hate for Derby to finish 7th in the PL, which is no doubt difficult, qualify for Europe only to crash out of the competition in qualifying. It's not like there is a second chance waiting around the corner, unlike for Celtic and Rangers who get a crack at it every year.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think Burnley have much chance to win it, not nowadays with the CL teams dropping into the competition. But, I thought it was a little harsh for Burnley to have to play 3 qualifying games to reach the group stages, and the teams you've had to play are tough.

Both Rangers and Celtic have been given easy ties. Sevilla, RB Leipzig and Atalanta aside, I don't think you could have had a tougher opponent. 

Reaching the Europa League is the pinnacle for a team like Derby or Burnley. It's the sort of thing that would happen once in 30 years maybe, and that's if we're lucky. I'd hate for Derby to finish 7th in the PL, which is no doubt difficult, qualify for Europe only to crash out of the competition in qualifying. It's not like there is a second chance waiting around the corner, unlike for Celtic and Rangers who get a crack at it every year.

3 years ago we played a 0-0 out with them. It show with a good loyal stable manager what can be achieved. Hats off to them, I wish we were in the Europa League and fighting for top ten finishes in the premier League. 

I just realised that for the first time this season (that I can remember) there are different kickoff times in the CL.

So rather than everyone kicking off at 19:45 GMT, they now have 17:55 GMT and 20:00 GMT kickoff times.

Aside from the 4 guaranteed places for England, Spain, Italy and Germany, this is another smart money-making scheme where couch-potato fans can now pay to watch 2 games back-to-back.

So Inter vs Spurs, then Liverpool vs PSG. How convenient.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just realised that for the first time this season (that I can remember) there are different kickoff times in the CL.

So rather than everyone kicking off at 19:45 GMT, they now have 17:55 GMT and 20:00 GMT kickoff times.

Aside from the 4 guaranteed places for England, Spain, Italy and Germany, this is another smart money-making scheme where couch-potato fans can now pay to watch 2 games back-to-back.

So Inter vs Spurs, then Liverpool vs PSG. How convenient.

Not convenient for me, here in Canada unfortunately. For the first time ever, CL is no longer on the regular sports channels and only available via DAZN streaming...

Not convenient in the UK either, do you go for Sky Sports for Premier League games, or BT Sports with the odd Premier League game and European games, or do you sacrifice food and heating and go for both.

I went for just the Premier League games. 

Remember when one game was on ITV, was pretty much Man United every time but still, now it's all behind multiple subscriptions grrr.

Ah, the days of the CL on ITV.

I’m watching Barca vs PSV. Messi is just ridiculous. The mark of his genius is how he makes the likes of Suarez, Dembele and Courinho look ordinary in comparison.

Messi scored a wonderful freekick and played three world class throughballs to create really good opportunities. And that was just a standard half for him.

Liverpool vs PSG was very entertaining. With Napoli only drawing, that was such an important result for Liverpool.

Spurs face an uphill task now. You'd expect them to beat PSV home and away, and probably pick up a win at home to Inter, but they may have to take something at home to Barca next time out of they want to qualify.

19 hours ago, David said:

Liverpool 3-2 PSG then, will await Muespach and McLovin's match reports 😄

Both teams proved why they wont win it, neither can defend.

nice to see unrest in the victims camp with the one season wonder blowing up. ha ha