Champions & Europa League 18/19

Day

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Anyone else not care about an English team playing in the "Champions" league semi-final? Me neither...I watched the snooker.

Strange topic to open then! People might not care, but there appears to be some interest in the biggest competition in club football, understandable on a football forum ? 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Anyone else not care about an English team playing in the "Champions" league semi-final? Me neither...I watched the snooker.

FWIW, my interest has waned in the competition since it left ITV and Sky Sports. Sure lots of people have BT and it’s fine but I’ve never been convinced that an ‘elite’ competition should be behind any form of subscription, I think we should be encouraging kids to watch some of the best players in the world on a more regular basis than what they can currently.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

FWIW, my interest has waned in the competition since it left ITV and Sky Sports. Sure lots of people have BT and it’s fine but I’ve never been convinced that an ‘elite’ competition should be behind any form of subscription, I think we should be encouraging kids to watch some of the best players in the world on a more regular basis than what they can currently.

Watching United play the likes of Barca, Juventus and AC Milan on ITV Wednesday nights were part of my younger years, a lot of people hate United but that Champions League theme tune got me right going, used to love those nights, wanting English clubs to do well in Europe before I got old and realised we're supposed to hate clubs that win things.  

Doesn't quite feel the same now, probably as I know I'm paying something like £50pm on Sports subscriptions alone to watch the thing, and thats without RamsTV for Derby. 

To think people complained over the Sky Sports monopoly, now we have 2 paid sports subscriptions if you want to watch all football whilst having to tolerate the likes of Robbie Savage and Steve McManaman. McManaman isn't too bad I guess, I find him easier to tolerate than Mr Strictly.

I do think some competitions should be protected, sadly money talks though and it's unlikely we will ever see it return to terrestrial. I used to criticise BBC and ITV for dumping money on the likes of Ross and nonsense reality TV shows, but the TV deals now you just can't expect those companies to fork out for.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Watching United play the likes of Barca, Juventus and AC Milan on ITV Wednesday nights were part of my younger years, a lot of people hate United but that Champions League theme tune got me right going, used to love those nights, wanting English clubs to do well in Europe before I got old and realised we're supposed to hate clubs that win things.  

Doesn't quite feel the same now, probably as I know I'm paying something like £50pm on Sports subscriptions alone to watch the thing, and thats without RamsTV for Derby. 

To think people complained over the Sky Sports monopoly, now we have 2 paid sports subscriptions if you want to watch all football whilst having to tolerate the likes of Robbie Savage and Steve McManaman. McManaman isn't too bad I guess, I find him easier to tolerate than Mr Strictly.

I do think some competitions should be protected, sadly money talks though and it's unlikely we will ever see it return to terrestrial. I used to criticise BBC and ITV for dumping money on the likes of Ross and nonsense reality TV shows, but the TV deals now you just can't expect those companies to fork out for.

Monopolies are sometimes a good thing. Like with streaming services now. Used to be just Netflix. Now to watch all the good tele out there, you’ve got to subscribe to 3 or 4 different services, and there are more coming. So competition actually makes it more expensive for the consumer. 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Monopolies are sometimes a good thing. Like with streaming services now. Used to be just Netflix. Now to watch all the good tele out there, you’ve got to subscribe to 3 or 4 different services, and there are more coming. So competition actually makes it more expensive for the consumer. 

You now Disney are launching their TV streaming service and moving all Marvel content to that from Netflix, obviously I'm not a fan, but one that is you're looking at another tenner a month now for that.

People don't have unlimited budgets for entertainment, this is why more and more search the internet for illegal downloads/streams now, just costs too much. 

I can see some starting to go pop pretty soon, Spotify are supposed to be struggling now they have competition in Apple, Amazon and Google, even Soundcloud has subscription plans and that one JayZ is behind, can't think of the name.

1 hour ago, David said:

You now Disney are launching their TV streaming service and moving all Marvel content to that from Netflix, obviously I'm not a fan, but one that is you're looking at another tenner a month now for that.

People don't have unlimited budgets for entertainment, this is why more and more search the internet for illegal downloads/streams now, just costs too much. 

I can see some starting to go pop pretty soon, Spotify are supposed to be struggling now they have competition in Apple, Amazon and Google, even Soundcloud has subscription plans and that one JayZ is behind, can't think of the name.

I pay for one subscription service (sky), then I feel I’ve contributed to the overall media economy. I find dodgy sites for anything else I want to watch. 

People who just illegally download everything annoy me. But you can’t possibly subscribe to everything, that’s just not fair for the viewing public. 

Eventually, catch all subscription services will appear. Like you can now get Netflix with your sky subscription. Then it all goes full circle and you end up with either sky or virgin and paying a bit extra for extra channels. 

Isnt this how it already works in America? You have to subscribe to individual networks / channels. So maybe the Americans have been used to this way for ages, but for us brits that grew up with 4 perfectly good, free channels, it’s all a bit alien. 

10 hours ago, David said:

Strange topic to open then! People might not care, but there appears to be some interest in the biggest competition in club football, understandable on a football forum ? 

Yes mate...sorry, just pointing out that for the "neutral" I think it's boring knowing it will be the same top 6 in europe next season and probably after that.

Had the Barca v Liverpool game on the tv whilst following the Derby game. Have to say Liverpool were pretty unlucky, Salah missed a sitter, although Dembele should have made it 4-0 to Barca at the end.

I’m a massive fan of Van Dijk but he hid tonight. The first mistake for Suarez can happen, I wouldn’t even say it was a mistake by Van Dijk and Matip as it was fantastic movement by Suarez and great pass by Alba. However, it appeared to me that he was more concerned about his own reputation being ruined by Messi like Jerome Boateng’s was. Every time MEssi got the ball and around Van Dijk, Van Dijk hid and made someone else try to tackle him rather than himself taking responsibility . This tweet summed up Van dijk’s night for me ?

What a player Robertson is, he’s come on leaps and bounds since he played for Hull. 

Just now, rynny said:

?????

So he is just marking him all the way up to the box, then Suarez becomes someone else's man? Hilarious. 

Screenshot_20190502-125033.jpg

Screenshot_20190502-125047.jpg

Screenshot_20190502-125105.jpg

Screenshot_20190502-125114.jpg

You could argue that but how much space was given on the left .

Alba with perfect cross and Suarez with perfect run in between the two defenders.

Maybe Van the man could of been tighter on Suarez but it’s brilliant by him. 

Haven't watched the game as I was in the Metro watching Derby but apparently Liverpool unlucky not to score an away goal. 

Messi is Messi sheer brilliance from him.  

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

You could argue that but how much space was given on the left .

Alba with perfect cross and Suarez with perfect run in between the two defenders.

Maybe Van the man could of been tighter on Suarez but it’s brilliant by him. 

Haven't watched the game as I was in the Metro watching Derby but apparently Liverpool unlucky not to score an away goal. 

Messi is Messi sheer brilliance from him.  

Once again Salah goes missing in a big game, missed a sitter. 

Just now, rynny said:

Once again Salah goes missing in a big game, missed a sitter. 

Mate Barcelona are awesome .

Salah has been brilliant for Liverpool and as Klopp says there was not much more Liverpool could do. 

The away goal could have made the difference but Anfield will still be up for the return leg. 

Archived