Champions & Europa League 18/19

Day

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Did Llorente intend to arm/hip it in? He literally has no control over where that ball is going. 

Fortunate IMO. 

I don’t think it was handball if that’s what you thought. 

You have to be in the right place. Cant remember if it was citys 2nd or 3rd goal, took a terrible deflection to go in, otherwise think the keeper would have got it.  

Luck involved with that too.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Another angle has shown it was handball. 

Even if it did was it deliberate? 

I havent seen the other angle, but having seen the one shown on TV nothing about it told me it would be deliberate even if it did glance off his hand. 

37 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I havent seen the other angle, but having seen the one shown on TV nothing about it told me it would be deliberate even if it did glance off his hand. 

quite right, quite a few still fail to recognise that there is a need to establish it was deliberate

39 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

quite right, quite a few still fail to recognise that there is a need to establish it was deliberate

If it happened next year then the snickometer would be needed I think

Was a really great game, but I really dislike the away goals rule. 

If a game is tied, it should go to added time regardless of how many goals either team scored in the other team's stadium, in my opinion.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Spanish said:

If it happened next year then the snickometer would be needed I think

Yep change of rule next season

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think it probably scraped him arm before hitting hip/thigh and going in.

This doesn't mean it's handball though. It's not cricket and we are not looking for an snick of the bat to see whether it was caught behind.

As for Aguero, he was clearly off so the decision was rightly reversed. I thought the Bryson offside vs Southampton should not have been disallowed though, even though it was offside. VAR is supposed to be correcting obvious errors, not scrutinising every tight decision. The Rose handball in the first match should not be a penalty.

Someone needs to sort the rules out. 

Glad you mentioned cricket because that's what VAR needs to sort it out - a review system. One per half for each team - win it, you keep it. Stops everything stopping for a big decision and looking for fouls/offsides where no one even thought there was one, only referred when captain/manager feel a bad decision has cost them.

27 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Was a really great game, but I really dislike the away goals rule. 

If a game is tied, it should go to added time regardless of how many goals either team scored in the other team's stadium, in my opinion.

On the other hand discourages teams going away and parking the bus ,so hopefully better games of football. 

8 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

On the other hand discourages teams going away and parking the bus ,so hopefully better games of football. 

Fair point. But while that is theoretically true, teams who are liable to park the bus will park the bus home and away anyway. The only time they wouldn't is when they've lost the home leg by multiple goals, in which case they're just worse.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

This one? 

Do you reckon that guy’s a city fan?

if it hit his arm, his arm was as close to his body as it could be, and it bounced down onto his leg. Not deliberate, not gaining an unnatural advantage, hands are not in an annuity tal position, not hand ball by any definition of handball in any era. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Do you reckon that guy’s a city fan? 

Arsenal fan.

Seen some claim to have celebrated more loudly Sterling’s goal which was ruled offside more than any Arsenal goal. Bit weird.

I think it was a goal, he didn't move his hand towards the ball, it wasn't in an unnatural position - it was imo accidental handball and therefore a goal.

Next season however the rules are changing, accidental or not no goal will be allowed if it has touched a players hand/arm.  A season to late for Man City ?

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

No it wasn’t accidental 

How can you even begin to argue that he meant to hit that with his arm?

This is on the FA's website:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

Yes there was distance, could still potentially argue unexpected due to coming over players, but point one and three are certainly the case.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think it was a goal, he didn't move his hand towards the ball, it wasn't in an unnatural position - it was imo accidental handball and therefore a goal.

Next season however the rules are changing, accidental or not no goal will be allowed if it has touched a players hand/arm.  A season to late for Man City ?

Correct that will be fairer

How do you know what a players intention is !

Archived