Champions & Europa League 18/19

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Atletico win the Super Cup 4-2 AET. Good match, Real very poor at the back.

Amazing goal by Saul to Atletico 3-2 up in extra time.  A really enjoyable match.  Surely Real are going to add to their squad before their transfer window closes.  

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Amazing goal by Saul to Atletico 3-2 up in extra time.  A really enjoyable match.  Surely Real are going to add to their squad before their transfer window closes.  

Lewandowski, or his agent, has flirted with Real Madrid for years now. Surely if they're going to go for him, now is the time. Benzema is nowhere near good enough for that CF role. 

Real's biggest problem though seems to be getting Bale, Isco, Modric and Kroos in the same team when it appears Casimero is so important for them. For balance, one of those four must sit out. Bale and Isco both had spells out under Zidane. But now Ronaldo has been moved on Bale has been given assurances, while Isco is a favourite of Lopetegui.

Good luck trying to shoehorn all those in to a successful side.

I think Zidane could do as he pleased because he's a legend. He earned the respect to make those tough calls. The fans backed him. Lopetegui won't get the same backing. I can't see him lasting the season.

12 minutes ago, froggg said:

Is it on the tv?

I’d imagine so.

I’m just goong by the BBC, looks like they’re in a bit of trouble.

Rangers are doing well though. I thought Gereard would struggle there but they’re undefeated so far and have generally played better than Celtic.

27 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

It's on Eleven Sports (online only streaming service owned by the Leeds owner...yuck!)

28 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

hope the Rams result cheered you up mate , and heres to a speedy recovery

Thanks very much, the result certainly helped.

On 23/08/2018 at 19:22, Bris Vegas said:

Feel sorry for Burnley. Looks like their European adventure is coming to an abupt end already.

They’ve had some bad luck with the draw.

Don't think most Burnley fans will be too disappointed - chance to visit Istanbul and Athens against strong opponents.

2,000 also enjoyed Aberdeen trip. Unrealistic to expect to win the thing.

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

Don't think most Burnley fans will be too disappointed - chance to visit Istanbul and Athens against strong opponents.

2,000 also enjoyed Aberdeen trip. Unrealistic to expect to win the thing.

I don't think Burnley have much chance to win it, not nowadays with the CL teams dropping into the competition. But, I thought it was a little harsh for Burnley to have to play 3 qualifying games to reach the group stages, and the teams you've had to play are tough.

Both Rangers and Celtic have been given easy ties. Sevilla, RB Leipzig and Atalanta aside, I don't think you could have had a tougher opponent. 

Reaching the Europa League is the pinnacle for a team like Derby or Burnley. It's the sort of thing that would happen once in 30 years maybe, and that's if we're lucky. I'd hate for Derby to finish 7th in the PL, which is no doubt difficult, qualify for Europe only to crash out of the competition in qualifying. It's not like there is a second chance waiting around the corner, unlike for Celtic and Rangers who get a crack at it every year.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think Burnley have much chance to win it, not nowadays with the CL teams dropping into the competition. But, I thought it was a little harsh for Burnley to have to play 3 qualifying games to reach the group stages, and the teams you've had to play are tough.

Both Rangers and Celtic have been given easy ties. Sevilla, RB Leipzig and Atalanta aside, I don't think you could have had a tougher opponent. 

Reaching the Europa League is the pinnacle for a team like Derby or Burnley. It's the sort of thing that would happen once in 30 years maybe, and that's if we're lucky. I'd hate for Derby to finish 7th in the PL, which is no doubt difficult, qualify for Europe only to crash out of the competition in qualifying. It's not like there is a second chance waiting around the corner, unlike for Celtic and Rangers who get a crack at it every year.

3 years ago we played a 0-0 out with them. It show with a good loyal stable manager what can be achieved. Hats off to them, I wish we were in the Europa League and fighting for top ten finishes in the premier League. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just realised that for the first time this season (that I can remember) there are different kickoff times in the CL.

So rather than everyone kicking off at 19:45 GMT, they now have 17:55 GMT and 20:00 GMT kickoff times.

Aside from the 4 guaranteed places for England, Spain, Italy and Germany, this is another smart money-making scheme where couch-potato fans can now pay to watch 2 games back-to-back.

So Inter vs Spurs, then Liverpool vs PSG. How convenient.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just realised that for the first time this season (that I can remember) there are different kickoff times in the CL.

So rather than everyone kicking off at 19:45 GMT, they now have 17:55 GMT and 20:00 GMT kickoff times.

Aside from the 4 guaranteed places for England, Spain, Italy and Germany, this is another smart money-making scheme where couch-potato fans can now pay to watch 2 games back-to-back.

So Inter vs Spurs, then Liverpool vs PSG. How convenient.

Not convenient for me, here in Canada unfortunately. For the first time ever, CL is no longer on the regular sports channels and only available via DAZN streaming...

Archived