League & FA Cup 18/19

Boycie

29 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

100%

I'd much rather have better teams supposedly "disrespect" the cup, especially against lower league opposition, than have every QF round made up of PL top 10 teams.

Think of how many less upsets we'd have if everyone always played a full strength side, would be awful.

On a side note, I don't think it should be possible for two teams in the same league to be drawn against each other til like the 5th round. The whole point of this tournament is to give anyone the chance to play against anyone else. Bloody boring for them to be playing against someone at their level.

I like this suggestion! Some form of seeding might work though the chances of it happening are probably pretty remote.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I like this suggestion! Some form of seeding might work though the chances of it happening are probably pretty remote.

You certainly couldn't do it with 2 groups of balls the old fashioned way. Would be complicated to manually draw. Unless the numbers were linked to different teams for the away team draw depending on which team was drawn at home. As you say, unlikely, but I think it would improve things no end.

One of the things that annoy me the most about football and it's such an easy issue to solve. One player gets sent off after receiving two bookings for dissent then nobody would do it anymore. 

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

100%

I'd much rather have better teams supposedly "disrespect" the cup, especially against lower league opposition, than have every QF round made up of PL top 10 teams.

Think of how many less upsets we'd have if everyone always played a full strength side, would be awful.

On a side note, I don't think it should be possible for two teams in the same league to be drawn against each other til like the 5th round. The whole point of this tournament is to give anyone the chance to play against anyone else. Bloody boring for them to be playing against someone at their level.

Agree with the sentiment, but then you get the same problem of, probability wise, the stronger teams beating the weaker ones and the qfs just being made up of the top 8 in the premier league. 

At least I’m the current format, we know that either Arsenal or Man Utd are going out. Yes, maybe Barnet would have preferred to play one of them at this stage, rather than Brentford, but this way, the smaller clubs do have a bit more chance to actually progress, if the big boys can knock each other out. 

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, MK said:

Players still arguing with the ref even after they've gone to VAR and looked at it from various angles. Grr

9 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Bloody ridiculous. Should have booked them for dissent.

True, VAR should have got it right though.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

They did as far as I could see. Kane looked to be on from the angle they showed.

skysports-chelsea-tottenham_4541159.jpg?

Very difficult I know. But the Linesman flagged and that should have stood as it wasnt clear he had made an error. I really dont see how they can properly determine marginal offside/onside from the tv cameras, surely you need cameras a pitch level level with the play.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

skysports-chelsea-tottenham_4541159.jpg?

Very difficult I know. But the Linesman flagged and that should have stood as it wasnt clear he had made an error. I really dont see how they can properly determine marginal offside/onside from the tv cameras, surely you need cameras a pitch level level with the play.

yeah i saw this on instagram today; although its not clear if this is even the frame that the pass is being made - in addition, the lines on the image done for VAR is calibrated by the FA whilst this one is done by chelsea....

53 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Stokies still won't be happy. Cruising 2 up against Shrewsbury but now hit with 3 goals in 10 minutes. Part of me wishes "he" was still there 

Doesn't look like many were there to see it so won't be too fussed I would imagine, it's not like it's an important Checkatrade tie against Port Vale.

_105197013_josh_laurent_getty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Chelsea are really fortunate to be through. Scraped past a Spurs side without their 3 best players, they'll get thrashed by City in the final.

Plus they got 2 own goals against us and a deflected goal against Bournemouth. They’ve definitely had a lot of luck in the competition.

Two wonderfully worked goals by Man Utd. They're a different team to watch under Solksjaer.

Lukaku with two assists, one brilliant too. A great finish from Sanchez for their first too.

Excellent match of football this. United seem to have that Fergie era aura back, look to have serious belief. Some beautifully crafted goals, and such brilliant movement as well, the mark of a great team when players know where their teammates will be. Arsenal are literally a premier league us as well, try to play good football but then end up giving their opponents headstarts every week

Archived