League & FA Cup 18/19

Boycie

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Strange by Leicester. It's not as if they've got anything else to play for. You'd think they would have a good go in the Cup.

What better year to try and do well either considering the tragedy that happened. To me it shows a massive disrespect.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

What better year to try and do well either considering the tragedy that happened. To me it shows a massive disrespect.

Did they disrespect it though? They made 7 changes against league 2 opposition. We made 5 or 6 was it against premier league opposition.

They’re a premier league club, if they haven’t got strength in depth to be able to deal with 7 changes against opposition 3 tiers below them then somethings up. 

You don’t have to be disrespecting the cup to think this might have been a good opportunity to give some squad players a run out. It just turns out their squad players aren’t actually very good, which I’d be very concerned about if I was a Leicester fan. But I’m not, so duck em. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Did they disrespect it though? They made 7 changes against league 2 opposition. We made 5 or 6 was it against premier league opposition.

They’re a premier league club, if they haven’t got strength in depth to be able to deal with 7 changes against opposition 3 tiers below them then somethings up. 

You don’t have to be disrespecting the cup to think this might have been a good opportunity to give some squad players a run out. It just turns out their squad players aren’t actually very good, which I’d be very concerned about if I was a Leicester fan. But I’m not, so duck em. 

Total disrespect.... Why make 7 feckin changes? Arrogance, that's why.

If it's not disrespecting the cup, why don't they do it in the league? 

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Total disrespect.... Why make 7 feckin changes? Arrogance, that's why.

If it's not disrespecting the cup, why don't they do it in the league? 

Why did we make changes? Did we disrespect the cup? Should we have started Wilson and Mount? Might have won the game then. 

There might have been some complacency from Leicester, they might have disrespected Newport by assuming a second string would win, but I don’t think they disrespected the cup. I’m sure they expected to progress against (on paper) weaker opposition, where they could, in theory, afford to give the squad a run out.  

In fact, if we’re up against (on paper) stronger opposition in premeriership Southampton, and we genuinely want to progress, shouldn’t we be putting our absolute best 11 on. You could argue that we disrespected the cup more, as we didn’t put a team out there with the absolute best chance of winning. 

Im not making that argument, cos I don’t think we did disrespect the cup, but I don’t think Leicester did either. At most they disrespected / under estimated Newport. 

disrespecting the cup is when two teams on a similar level each make about 8 changes. Clearly neither give a duck if they go through or not in that case. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Why did we make changes? Did we disrespect the cup? Should we have started Wilson and Mount? Might have won the game then. 

There might have been some complacency from Leicester, they might have disrespected Newport by assuming a second string would win, but I don’t think they disrespected the cup. I’m sure they expected to progress against (on paper) weaker opposition, where they could, in theory, afford to give the squad a run out.  

In fact, if we’re up against (on paper) stronger opposition in premeriership Southampton, and we genuinely want to progress, shouldn’t we be putting our absolute best 11 on. You could argue that we disrespected the cup more, as we didn’t put a team out there with the absolute best chance of winning. 

Im not making that argument, cos I don’t think we did disrespect the cup, but I don’t think Leicester did either. At most they disrespected / under estimated Newport. 

disrespecting the cup is when two teams on a similar level each make about 8 changes. Clearly neither give a duck if they go through or not in that case. 

Wilson is injured.

I didn’t agree with Mount or Carson not starting but Roos played well.

Leicester do disrespect the cups. They’ve basically played their reserve players in every cup match that they’ve had this season, including a Quarter-Final (in a competition they have won this century so have history with the competition) against Man City.  They’re not going to get relegated so why not go for it in the cup? Just shows that the manager/club only care about the League which they cannot win this season. Football is supposed to be about winning things and being the best you can be.

Rowett & McClaren made made a lot of changes for cup matches while they were here and as a fan and someone who goes to the cup games it really irrates me.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Yes we did disrespect the cup, although is not Wilson injured, so that makes sense.. Yes, we might have won with a full strength team, how long before the usual suspects start bleating that we are playing too many games?

Always play your strongest, fit 11 players. Giving others a run out... Do me a favour..

Making 7 changes is a piss take for everyone, including the fans. There is absolutely no justification whatsoever..

Start strong and then change.

Time and time again these arrogant tossers turn up and think this is easy and they get rolled over.. Good.

39 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes we did disrespect the cup, although is not Wilson injured, so that makes sense.. Yes, we might have won with a full strength team, how long before the usual suspects start bleating that we are playing too many games?

Always play your strongest, fit 11 players. Giving others a run out... Do me a favour..

Making 7 changes is a piss take for everyone, including the fans. There is absolutely no justification whatsoever..

Start strong and then change.

Time and time again these arrogant tossers turn up and think this is easy and they get rolled over.. Good.

It is good. Isn’t that kind of the point of ‘the magic of the cup’. Everyone loves to see a cupset, but if all the peen teams just played their strongest 11, teams like Newport wouldn’t have a chance. Not that Leicester are ‘giving them a chance’ on purpose, but whether rotation is disrespecting the cup or not, it evens the playing field a bit, and makes for some more interesting results. So as a neutral, it’s got to be a good thing hasn’t it?

50 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It is good. Isn’t that kind of the point of ‘the magic of the cup’. Everyone loves to see a cupset, but if all the peen teams just played their strongest 11, teams like Newport wouldn’t have a chance. Not that Leicester are ‘giving them a chance’ on purpose, but whether rotation is disrespecting the cup or not, it evens the playing field a bit, and makes for some more interesting results. So as a neutral, it’s got to be a good thing hasn’t it?

We all love an upset, that IS the FA Cup. How excited are these teams and local communities when they get the 'big' boys visit. It lifts there whole town, people are excited and the players are up for the challenge. It's their opportunity to shine, maybe even on TV. The the big boys roll in, looking down their noses and the team sheet is an insult.

Ask a Leicester fan if he was happy with yesterday? Season over in early Jan.. Great, way to go Leicester City. Fulham, Leeds, Sheff U. Meh. 

Concentrate on this or that.. Bull. They have a duty to compete in every game. 

I get one or two changes, I really do. But 7 is changing a team and then you get what you deserve. 

Us and Southampton made 6 or 7 changes each to “rest” players and what was the result....? We have to play an additional game... 

should always play your strongest eleven, if you are going to play a “weakened” team and truly don’t care about the cup and want to “concentrate on the league” then they should have sent on a message with 1 minute remaining to run the ball into their own net and lose the game.

38 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Us and Southampton made 6 or 7 changes each to “rest” players and what was the result....? We have to play an additional game... 

should always play your strongest eleven, if you are going to play a “weakened” team and truly don’t care about the cup and want to “concentrate on the league” then they should have sent on a message with 1 minute remaining to run the ball into their own net and lose the game.

That’s a good point. If it’s about resting players, then it’s defeated the object. But if it’s about giving squad players a go, then a replay achieves that nicely. Get as many extra games as possible to give the likes of max bird more competitive games. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s a good point. If it’s about resting players, then it’s defeated the object. But if it’s about giving squad players a go, then a replay achieves that nicely. Get as many extra games as possible to give the likes of max bird more competitive games. 

I guess that’s a decent point about the squad players...and I am really glad there is a replay, FA Cup 3rd round day is the best footballing day in the calendar and replays are great too.! 

13 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Leicester do disrespect the cups. They’ve basically played their reserve players in every cup match that they’ve had this season, including a Quarter-Final (in a competition they have won this century so have history with the competition) against Man City.  They’re not going to get relegated so why not go for it in the cup? Just shows that the manager/club only care about the League which they cannot win this season. Football is supposed to be about winning things and being the best you can be.

In all fairness, Claude Puel reached a cup final and finished 8th and was sacked. He probably thinks “duck the cups”. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Who gives a toss whether Fester field a full strength side or not? Far more entertaining watching them get knocked out than watching them stick half a dozen past a league 2 side.

I fully agree, my only problem is that when Derby and Leicester fielded weakened sides a couple of seasons ago we both were lambasted by journalists for it, bit tonight I’ve seen them defending Liverpool over it. I don’t care, as a manager you do what you do, but that double standards does get my nose out of joint.

18 hours ago, 86 points said:

Who gives a toss whether Fester field a full strength side or not? Far more entertaining watching them get knocked out than watching them stick half a dozen past a league 2 side.

100%

I'd much rather have better teams supposedly "disrespect" the cup, especially against lower league opposition, than have every QF round made up of PL top 10 teams.

Think of how many less upsets we'd have if everyone always played a full strength side, would be awful.

On a side note, I don't think it should be possible for two teams in the same league to be drawn against each other til like the 5th round. The whole point of this tournament is to give anyone the chance to play against anyone else. Bloody boring for them to be playing against someone at their level.

Archived