Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alpha

Premier League 18/19

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Except it wasn’t a blatant backpass, let’s be honest, the ball was in the air.  And what about the dodgy free kick that BRighton got right at the end of the first half when Kompany “fouled”? If you think the backpass was a foul, they evened themselves out today. Haven’t updated on this thread regarding the Liverpool v Newcastle game, Fabinho clearly dived v Newcastle , even Liverpool legend Graeme Souness admitted it was a joke and the assistant should have been ashamed by himself. Liverpool are a brilliant side, but Man City have 100% deserved this title.

Yes but he still kicked it back to his goalie deliberately, quite clear backpass, as was the quite clear foul by kompany. City deserved the title, but it wasn’t by luck Liverpool ran them so close.

Share this post


Link to post

Man City deserve so much credit. They have been absolutely outstanding this calendar year. Since their loss against Newcastle, they won 14 games in a row in the league. 

Man City 3- Arsenal 1

Everton 0 Man City 2

Man City 6 Chelsea 0

Man City 1 West Ham 0

Bournemouth 0 Man City 1

Man City 3 Watford 1

Fulham 0 Man City 2

Man City 2 Cardiff 0

Crystal Palace 1 Man City 3

Man City 1 Spurs 0

Man Utd 0 Man City 2

Burnley 0 Man City 1

Man City 1 Leicester 0

Brighton 1 Man City 4

Very impressive if you consider they were without their best player De Bruyne for much of the season, had to play after Liverpool so had to play catch-up every week which can be mentally draining as we saw with spurs in their title race with Leicester, had champions league, Fa cup and league cup matches around those games so no rest until the final two games and had already won the league last season so to keep the same motivation is very difficult to do especially as no team had retained the league since SAF in 2009. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, David said:

breaking-news.png

Don’t be bitter, how much money have Man Utd and Liverpool spent over recent years? Money doesn’t buy success. Not as if they went out and bought the ready made best players in the world, they bought smartly by buying young players with lots of potential like Sterling, De Bruyne, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Ederson, Gabriel Jesus, Laporte, Stones. The only ‘ready made’ players they signed were Gundogan, Walker and Mahrez, hardly global superstars

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Don’t be bitter, how much money have Man Utd and Liverpool spent over recent years? Money doesn’t buy success. Not as if they went out and bought the ready made best players in the world, they bought smartly by buying young players with lots of potential like Sterling, De Bruyne, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Ederson, Gabriel Jesus, Laporte, Stones. The only ‘ready made’ players they signed were Gundogan, Walker and Mahrez, hardly global superstars

Not bitter, not in the slightest and Man City winning or losing the title would in no way effect my mood over the weekend. Seeing Liverpool win it's would have been great for 2 minutes, that's it.

My thoughts on Guardiola have been well documented prior to today, the day he takes a club on without an unlimited transfer budget I will acknowledge his greatness. Until then, not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, David said:

Not bitter, not in the slightest and Man City winning or losing the title would in no way effect my mood over the weekend. Seeing Liverpool win it's would have been great for 2 minutes, that's it.

My thoughts on Guardiola have been well documented prior to today, the day he takes a club on without an unlimited transfer budget I will acknowledge his greatness. Until then, not for me.

Whether you like him or not, he’s clearly a brilliant, brilliant coach. It’s easier to make rubbish players better as they will have evident flaws, it’s harder improving all ready top players and getting the most out of young players.   He improves pretty much every player he coaches, that’s all you can ask for.  It’s easy to say at Barca and Bayern he had this player and that player, but he improved all their players. At Barca he improved players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Busquets, Pique and Alves winning the champions leagues with mascherano and Yaya Toure at centre back, at Bayern he improved already top players like Muller, Alaba, Alonso, Neuer and Boateng, helping Lahm and Alaba particularly in learning new positions. At Man City he’s taken De Bruyne, Laporte,  and Sterling particularly to different levels, Aguero and David Silva were considered finished by many but Guardiola helped them to improve again, Fernandinho and Otamendi were considered bang average by many but Guardiola has turned him into one of the finest defenders and midfielders in the world(ok Otamendi hasn’t played much this season but last season he was brilliant). 

I think it’s quite a simplistic view to say that he needs to prove himself without an unlimited budget(he did that at Barca B anyway). 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Whether you like him or not, he’s clearly a brilliant, brilliant coach. It’s easier to make rubbish players better as they will have evident flaws, it’s harder improving all ready top players and getting the most out of young players.   He improves pretty much every player he coaches, that’s all you can ask for.  It’s easy to say at Barca and Bayern he had this player and that player, but he improved all their players. At Barca he improved players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Busquets, Pique and Alves winning the champions leagues with mascherano and Yaya Toure at centre back, at Bayern he improved already top players like Muller, Alaba, Alonso, Neuer and Boateng, helping Lahm and Alaba particularly in learning new positions. At Man City he’s taken De Bruyne, Laporte,  and Sterling particularly to different levels, Aguero and David Silva were considered finished by many but Guardiola helped them to improve again, Fernandinho and Otamendi were considered bang average by many but Guardiola has turned him into one of the finest defenders and midfielders in the world(ok Otamendi hasn’t played much this season but last season he was brilliant). 

I think it’s quite a simplistic view to say that he needs to prove himself without an unlimited budget(he did that at Barca B anyway). 

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, far from it, he's amongst the top level managers, note the word amongst. I don't buy into this greatness that places him above the rest. 

I think a number of managers if able to chuck £50m here and £50m there would be able to emulate his success, look at Pochettino and Spurs in the Champions League final without spending a penny, give him a billion or whatever it is Man City have spent and I'm sure he will deliver a league title as well.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, David said:

My thoughts on Guardiola have been well documented prior to today, the day he takes a club on without an unlimited transfer budget I will acknowledge his greatness. Until then, not for me.

I think Pep is among the best. Some people just live and breathe football and they know how to win. He's just come within one bad day of an historic quadruple. Incredible, regardless of budget.

But yeah what an experiment that would be, a dream scenario where Pep, Klopp, Fergie, Poch... and whoever else all played a season in their own league with exactly the same standard of squad and the same budget. A raw manage-off. 

Maybe they could simulate it with AI like in Rocky 5? Then they'd have to do it in real life after just like Rocky.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Parsnip said:

I think Pep is among the best. Some people just live and breathe football and they know how to win. He's just come within one bad day of an historic quadruple. Incredible, regardless of budget.

But yeah what an experiment that would be, a dream scenario where Pep, Klopp, Fergie, Poch... and whoever else all played a season in their own league with exactly the same standard of squad and the same budget. A raw manage-off. 

Maybe they could simulate it with AI like in Rocky 5? Then they'd have to do it in real life after just like Rocky.

Think it's a huge shame Arsenal didn't move Wenger on sooner and bring in Pep, not expecting him to turn up at a Watford and turn them into title contenders with a fiver, but Arsenal would have had more financial restrictions than Man City.

I fully expect him to take over at PSG next though. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, David said:

Think it's a huge shame Arsenal didn't move Wenger on sooner and bring in Pep, not expecting him to turn up at a Watford and turn them into title contenders with a fiver, but Arsenal would have had more financial restrictions than Man City.

I fully expect him to take over at PSG next though. 

International football management might bring him back down to earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, far from it, he's amongst the top level managers, note the word amongst. I don't buy into this greatness that places him above the rest. 

I think a number of managers if able to chuck £50m here and £50m there would be able to emulate his success, look at Pochettino and Spurs in the Champions League final without spending a penny, give him a billion or whatever it is Man City have spent and I'm sure he will deliver a league title as well.

But he didn’t have an unlimited budget at Barcelona. His success there was based of the Cruyff philosophy of using young la masia players playing possession football.  He had the personalty to get rid of Barcelona greats like Ronaldinho, Samuel Etoo and Deco. Even at Bayern he didn’t have a big budget. The myth of him having a big budget has only developed since he went to city.  No coincidence to me that Spain and Germany won the world cups whilst Guardiola was managing in those countries, managing the core of important players who went on to win the World Cup; The core of the Barcelona and Bayern players he managed went on to win the World Cup with a possession style. English football both domestically and internationally has improved since Guardiola has come into this country. 

Edited by McLovin

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I think Pep is among the best. Some people just live and breathe football and they know how to win. He's just come within one bad day of an historic quadruple. Incredible, regardless of budget.

But yeah what an experiment that would be, a dream scenario where Pep, Klopp, Fergie, Poch... and whoever else all played a season in their own league with exactly the same standard of squad and the same budget. A raw manage-off. 

Maybe they could simulate it with AI like in Rocky 5? Then they'd have to do it in real life after just like Rocky.

He schooled Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the greatest ever managers, in two separate champions league finals in an attractive style. SAF tended to always win in his ‘battles’ against other managers seeing off Mourinho, Benitez, Dalglish, Ancelotti and Wenger. Guardiola is one of a few to get an upper hand over SAF. That speaks volumes to me 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No coincidence to me that Spain and Germany won the world cups whilst Guardiola was managing in those countries, managing the core of important players who went on to win the World Cup; The core of the Barcelona and Bayern players he managed went on to win the World Cup with a possession style. English football both domestically and internationally has improved since Guardiola has come into this country.

Interesting, although Germany and Spain were full of his players. Not the same situation with Many Cit tho sadly. However Sterling has become a world beater.

Edited by Parsnip

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.