Premier League 18/19

Alph

9 minutes ago, David said:

You will always have controversial decisions, it’s football, even with VAR questionable decisions are made.

I think you just have to accept they are part of the game and even themselves out over the season in the games not shown on TV.

It’s been an enjoyable Premier League season, even the battle for the top 4 is going down to the wire

That’s a fair comment. What I’m irked about is even the 1% possibility of bias to particular teams being involved in the premier league, whether it’s Liverpool or any other team. Former premier league referee Mark Halsey’s comments about his ex fellow referees being told what to see by their superiors is what I find alarming and a cause for concern. I’m hesitant to post this because it’s entering dangerous territory but it’s in the public domain. I may be looking to much into this but it suggests to me that referees can be influenced by their superiors(Im not referencing this to Liverpool but in a more general scenario)

Feel free to delete if you feel it’s inappropriate.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember seeing those and hearing about his book, they obviously denied it. Sounds like his claim is he was asked after the game to say he didn’t see something. Need to know the what and whys though really, the rule which gives them a chance to retrospectively take action if the referee hasn’t seen only came in recently and he’s been retired now 6 years or so.

In fact I’m wrong, it was so they could punish a player retrospectively and send him off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/04/mark-halsey-reveals-incident-he-claims-he-was-told-to-lie-about/

Thought the retrospective action rule was more recent than that.

It’s obviously wrong (if true) despite them trying to do what they thought was right thing in punishing a N’Zonzi for an elbow, it’s a bit different to allowing offside goals to stand so Liverpool run Man City close.

Just now, David said:

In fact I’m wrong, it was so they could punish a player retrospectively and send him off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/04/mark-halsey-reveals-incident-he-claims-he-was-told-to-lie-about/

Thought the retrospective action rule was more recent than that.

It’s obviously wrong despite them trying to do what they thought was right thing in punishing a N’Zonzi for an elbow, it’s a bit different to allowing offside goals to stand so Liverpool run Man City close.

What about the Aguero one here, it was in his eyeline unless he had his eyes closed. If what Halsey alleges is true then it should have opened a can of worms, unfortunately it was brushed under the carpet. If their superiors can influence that, it surely has to make you wonder what else they can influence. I suspect we will hear more of these over the years 

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What about the Aguero one here, it was in his eyeline unless he had his eyes closed. If what Halsey alleges is true then it should have opened a can of worms, unfortunately it was brushed under the carpet. If their superiors can influence that, it surely has to make you wonder what else they can influence. I suspect we will hear more of these over the years 

Same as the N’Zonzi, it was an elbow and should have been sent off. Look I’m not saying it’s right if true, but these were incidents that should have seen red, the retrospective action is righting the wrongs whilst being wrong to do so. 

If all this is true, doesn’t that say they want what is right, and these offside Liverpool goals would in fact not go down too well upstairs?

22 minutes ago, David said:

Same as the N’Zonzi, it was an elbow and should have been sent off. Look I’m not saying it’s right if true, but these were incidents that should have seen red, the retrospective action is righting the wrongs whilst being wrong to do so. 

If all this is true, doesn’t that say they want what is right, and these offside Liverpool goals would in fact not go down too well upstairs?

Im not really sure what you mean here? You may be correct re n’zonzi but if the referee didn’t deem it to be a red card, who are the authorities to intervene and make the referee lie. They could theoretically ban a player for however long they wanted, there is a lot of inconsistency in the FA and seem to hand out bans depending on what their mood is. They didn’t even have a formal investigation on halsey’s claims, he was called a liar and it was brushed under the carpet never to be mentioned again. I like to keep an open mind on these sort of things. Calciopoli in Italy was a conspiracy for years before the scandal got out. I used to be very closed minded but that opened my mind a touch.Seeing that made me think these sort of things tend to follow where the money is. It upset me seeing what happened in Italy, a league I grew up watching and the best league in the world at the time. If it happened there, I can see it can happening anywhere. Even if it’s completely untrue and it’s way off the mark, it’s still interesting to keep an eye on these sort of things regardless and personal annecdotes by referees.

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Im not really sure what you mean here? You may be correct re n’zonzi but if the referee didn’t deem it to be a red card, who are the authorities to intervene and make the referee lie. They could theoretically ban a player for however long they wanted, there is a lot of inconsistency in the FA and seem to hand out bans depending on what their mood is. They didn’t even have a formal investigation on halsey’s claims, he was called a liar and it was brushed under the carpet never to be mentioned again. I like to keep an open mind on these sort of things. Calciopoli in Italy was a conspiracy for years before the scandal got out. I used to be very closed minded but that opened my mind a touch.Seeing that made me think these sort of things tend to follow where the money is. It upset me seeing what happened in Italy, a league I grew up watching and the best league in the world at the time. If it happened there, I can see it can happening anywhere. Even if it’s completely untrue and it’s way off the mark, it’s still interesting to keep an eye on these sort of things regardless and personal annecdotes by referees.

What I mean is both N’Zonzi and Aguero should have been sent off, that would have been the correct decision which they took retrospective action to ban both.

It’s not like retrospective action was taken to ban a player for no reason, rule him out of playing X game to give X team an advantage.

To be honest I think the rule stinks, they should be able to take retrospective action regardless of whether or not the ref sees it, I think the only reason they don’t scrap the rule is so they don’t appear to be undermine the referee, even if allegedly behind closed doors they can be asked to  unsee things.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

See van dijk won player of the year, no doubt a vote fixed by the prem to let Liverpool win something 

Van dijk has been easily the best player in the premier league this season, he deserved the award. No-one here is saying that Liverpool aren’t a good side, just that they’ve had a lot of help along the way. Bernardo Silva would have been my 2nd pick.

57 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

See van dijk won player of the year, no doubt a vote fixed by the prem to let Liverpool win something 

What I want to know is how on Earth a 24 year old man in his 7th full season of top flight football has managed to win the Young Player of the Year Award. That's the real fix here.

10 minutes ago, JfR said:

What I want to know is how on Earth a 24 year old man in his 7th full season of top flight football has managed to win the Young Player of the Year Award. That's the real fix here.

It is a bit ridiculous, should be u21 only. Not that sterling doesn’t deserve some sort of recognition mind as he has been superb, it’s just that recognition is being the second best player, not the best ‘young’ player

A few years ago I was at an evening wedding in Derby with a few well known refs in attendance.  The groom had been on some refereeing course with them year's ago and became friend's with them over the  following year's attending others .  His sport was basketball though so don't really why they were on the same courses but anyway ... the two most high profile ones there were Uriah Rennie and Howard Webb.   Webb was a lovely bloke and had been refereeing the Villa- Arsenal match earlier and had come to Derby straight after the game ,  one of the blokes at the wedding was a mad keen Villa fan who pulled him up on a penalty he reckoned Villa should have had but didn't.  Eventually,  having insisted he was correct he agreed to watch the highlights on MOTD with us to decide the issue in the bar at the back .  This was all quite surreal , especially when the highlights showed he'd made a major mistake up.   Even more amusing he owned up to making a 'Balls up of that ' straight away went to the bar and bought Mr Villa a 'pint for his lost point' .

Unfortunatley, refs -even those that are world cup final standard - do make mistakes.

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

Van dijk has been easily the best player in the premier league this season, he deserved the award. No-one here is saying that Liverpool aren’t a good side, just that they’ve had a lot of help along the way. Bernardo Silva would have been my 2nd pick.

Easily? not sure about that. Sterling for me so for him to not even get your second place is a wonder but Congrats to Virgil.

19 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Easily? not sure about that. Sterling for me so for him to not even get your second place is a wonder but Congrats to Virgil.

19 minutes ago, Simsy said:

If it were for the football person of the year then Sterling probably would have won it but it’s for the best footballer of the year. For me Van Dijk’s been the best because he single handedly transformed that Liverpool backline. Liverpool were a mess defensively before. Alisson has been a great signing too but Liverpool would still be up there even without Alisson imo, Van Dijk’s impact was even evident last season when Liverpool reached the cl final. I wouldn’t even say Sterling has been better than Salah , Mane or even Hazard tbh but the racism scandal has probably exaggerated sterling’s performances, even though he has been fantastic this season too. Salah has gone under the radar a bit, he may not be as good as last season but he’s still the pl top scorer. 

As for Bernardo Silva, City have been without their best player De Bruyne for near enough the whole season(stop and start season for de Bruyne) and David Silva hasn’t been as good this season but you cant really tell because of how good Bernardo Silva has been. Without Bernardo Silva’s influence, Sterling wouldn’t have half the chances to score. Silva is the cake and icing, Aguero and Sterling are the cherry on top. He’s a terrific player, for a lightweight player he has so much energy and defensively he is terrific.

On 29/04/2019 at 12:47, McLovin said:

If it were for the football person of the year then Sterling probably would have won it but it’s for the best footballer of the year. For me Van Dijk’s been the best because he single handedly transformed that Liverpool backline. Liverpool were a mess defensively before. Alisson has been a great signing too but Liverpool would still be up there even without Alisson imo, Van Dijk’s impact was even evident last season when Liverpool reached the cl final. I wouldn’t even say Sterling has been better than Salah , Mane or even Hazard tbh but the racism scandal has probably exaggerated sterling’s performances, even though he has been fantastic this season too. Salah has gone under the radar a bit, he may not be as good as last season but he’s still the pl top scorer. 

As for Bernardo Silva, City have been without their best player De Bruyne for near enough the whole season(stop and start season for de Bruyne) and David Silva hasn’t been as good this season but you cant really tell because of how good Bernardo Silva has been. Without Bernardo Silva’s influence, Sterling wouldn’t have half the chances to score. Silva is the cake and icing, Aguero and Sterling are the cherry on top. He’s a terrific player, for a lightweight player he has so much energy and defensively he is terrific.

and now after yesterday's "personal attack" that wasn't a personal attack at all.

Sometimes I read your posts and think jesus christ this young lad knows his stuff, he's clearly a really passionate football fan who spends a lot of time watching and researching football from all over Europe. I love people like that. It's great to see even if occasionally it means you come across like a bit of a know it all. You obviously put a lot of hours into your football. Good lad.

I just think your (seemingly - only based on how you've posted over and over again on this thread) bias is going too far. You've made your point so many times and in my opinion (mine only) it takes away from some of the really decent stuff you post.

On 30/04/2019 at 15:41, ronnieronalde said:

and now after yesterday's "personal attack" that wasn't a personal attack at all.

Sometimes I read your posts and think jesus christ this young lad knows his stuff, he's clearly a really passionate football fan who spends a lot of time watching and researching football from all over Europe. I love people like that. It's great to see even if occasionally it means you come across like a bit of a know it all. You obviously put a lot of hours into your football. Good lad.

I just think your (seemingly - only based on how you've posted over and over again on this thread) bias is going too far. You've made your point so many times and in my opinion (mine only) it takes away from some of the really decent stuff you post.

Fair enough dude, I apologise if I came across as pretentious. This is what Liverpool to do me as a person ??

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Fair enough dude, I apologise if I came across as pretentious. This is what Liverpool to do me as a person ??

and for a long time, me as well pal. I grew up hating them with a passion, probably at a similar age to you are now? (16,17,18). Don' t forget I was very close to the Forest players in the late 80's/early 90's and the rivalry was intense with them usually coming out on top overall, although we had our fair share of wins as well.

The Hillsborough replay will live forever in my memory in terms of the way some of the Liverpool players handled themselves on the pitch that day. No need at all. Those specific players I will always hate. Aldridge is right at the top of my see you next Tuesday list (god I hope the swear filter takes care of that word)

It took me a long time to stop hating them (even when Nigel played for them it was horrible) but the honest truth is I just got older, grew up a little bit and recognised that holding on to that was doing me no good.

They're a good side, with a good manager and a lot of good players, playing mostly good football. For me that's all that counts these days.

Looks like they need a bit of a miracle on both fronts now but still, what a season they've had.

Archived