Should we keep faith?

Harrogate ram

From pop side to c stand to Nottingham on a Saturday afternoon out of season (some oldies will remember) the only thing constant in my life has been DCFC. Watching my first game at 9 years old against Man Utd in the key club. Home and away since I was 14. I have seen rubbish ( Carlisle away) and I have seen good .. wanchope at Man Utd. Had a season ticket since 91 despite living in Oz for 8 of those years blah blah. I have never questioned my faith in being a derby fan. It is a massive part of my life .. 

However I had a bit of an epiphany on Friday. I was sat with the Leeds fans at Elland Road.  And as much as I despise the club I could do nothing but admire the atmosphere and the sheer passion that they showed. It took me back to being a youngster at the BBG. 

I currently have a season ticket in the east stand at Derby, and the difference between the Leeds fans and the people where I sit was unbelievable ( good people around where I sit, but they could be at the cinema or panto for all the passion there is)

leeds reminded me of where we were as a bunch of supporters back at the BBG. 

I know the football was dire on Friday, but I am starting to lose my faith and I need some wise words from someone out there to get me back on the straight and narrow. 

There are a few of us who travel together for every home game(over 200 miles round trip for a home game) and we are all struggling to understand why we bother.

So in short- is it just us that are losing the will or are there others out there.. .?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, is it really that bad ? we are 6th. Most likely (hopefully) heading for another play off season. You support the team through thick and thin. You might not agree with things along the way but thats football. We have an owner who has invested and backed the club he supports. A lot of clubs don't have that. Unfortunately it hasn't been enough for us so far. FL is trying to build a young hungry squad, and that will take time, especially with limited funds now. 

I may be the only one, but I am happy with how we are this season, its no where near perfect, but the idea is right and consistency with a plan and philosophy is key. 

Leeds were strong, well drilled and showed their quality. They have one of the best managers in the world and it showed. They will be in the prem next year. Lets focus on the rest of the season

Mel Morris is a legend. Lampard is going to be a great manager. Maybe it’s just me and the mates I go with , but when we were bad (really bad) before. There was a sense of us against the world, now  there is just too much apathy.

we have some poor players and then we have people saying that Thorne should be in the side, that max Lowe deserves a chance ... and , crikey , mason Bennett will come good. 

Friday was just the turning point . Top 6 flatters a really poor group of players.

3 minutes ago, Harrogate ram said:

Mel Morris is a legend. Lampard is going to be a great manager. Maybe it’s just me and the mates I go with , but when we were bad (really bad) before. There was a sense of us against the world, now  there is just too much apathy.

we have some poor players and then we have people saying that Thorne should be in the side, that max Lowe deserves a chance ... and , crikey , mason Bennett will come good. 

Friday was just the turning point . Top 6 flatters a really poor group of players.

Lowe may not have deserved a chance, but for that game, he was the only fit LB so we had no choice. I expect Malone to be back at the weekend. 

Your point of top 6 flattering a poor group of players says it all. We are over achieving right now, thats something to be happy about. If that can get us in the play offs we have done very very well. 

Am I right in saying it's the atmosphere and not the football that is giving you pause for thought? If so, there are no wise words to offer. Football fans are a different breed now to the halcyon days you refer to and much as it'd be grand to say that things will change for the better, the reality is they won't. I've never voiced the opinion on here before now but if I understand you correctly, you've just described the very reason I stopped going to live games. Those who espouse the opinion that the more things change, the more they stay the same are clearly not football fans. Just look at how some choose to deride lads like B4 for their unshakeable belief. It's as if supporting your team through thick and thin is something to be scoffed at rather than applauded. I'm really not sure how else to view it.

Scrub the loanees, the injured, and the out of contracts,  and this is what we have got......

Carson

bogle.      Keogh.     Wisdom       Malone

.                      Evans  

Holmes      Lawrence 

waghorn.       Marriott.      Jozefzoon

plenty to do.

1 hour ago, Harrogate ram said:

From pop side to c stand to Nottingham on a Saturday afternoon out of season (some oldies will remember) the only thing constant in my life has been DCFC. Watching my first game at 9 years old against Man Utd in the key club. Home and away since I was 14. I have seen rubbish ( Carlisle away) and I have seen good .. wanchope at Man Utd. Had a season ticket since 91 despite living in Oz for 8 of those years blah blah. I have never questioned my faith in being a derby fan. It is a massive part of my life .. 

However I had a bit of an epiphany on Friday. I was sat with the Leeds fans at Elland Road.  And as much as I despise the club I could do nothing but admire the atmosphere and the sheer passion that they showed. It took me back to being a youngster at the BBG. 

I currently have a season ticket in the east stand at Derby, and the difference between the Leeds fans and the people where I sit was unbelievable ( good people around where I sit, but they could be at the cinema or panto for all the passion there is)

leeds reminded me of where we were as a bunch of supporters back at the BBG. 

I know the football was dire on Friday, but I am starting to lose my faith and I need some wise words from someone out there to get me back on the straight and narrow. 

There are a few of us who travel together for every home game(over 200 miles round trip for a home game) and we are all struggling to understand why we bother.

So in short- is it just us that are losing the will or are there others out there.. .?

Get a grip!

What happened on Friday was down to the players on the pitch -as we saw in August the Leeds players are significantly better than ours.

What the thousands of others present that night did had nothing to do with the outcome

7 hours ago, Harrogate ram said:

Could just be your age!!!!

Football has changed and I think people generally lose their passion as they get older, I certainly have. I still enjoy going, mainly for the social aspect, but admit that at times it has felt that I'm going out of habit rather than enjoyment.

You praise Leeds fans but a couple of years ago their crowds were 15 or 20 thousand down on what they are this year. Think back to how our support was 10 years ago!

We've been a competitive team in this division for 10 years but I think a lot have it in our minds that the inevitable crumble is just around the corner hence why there's never any real excitement. 

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Football has changed and I think people generally lose their passion as they get older, I certainly have. I still enjoy going, mainly for the social aspect, but admit that at times it has felt that I'm going out of habit rather than enjoyment.

You praise Leeds fans but a couple of years ago their crowds were 15 or 20 thousand down on what they are this year. Think back to how our support was 10 years ago!

We've been a competitive team in this division for 10 years but I think a lot have it in our minds that the inevitable crumble is just around the corner hence why there's never any real excitement. 

Do you really want promotion though ! 

Without massive investment what’s the point ?

@Harrogate ram I’d suggest you were in the wrong place at the wrong time on Friday night. It was perfect for a Leeds fan. Friday night under the lights. Sky game, full house, top of the league, lightening start, relentless from beginning to end. Something easy to get behind....Regardless of what’s been said on social media and the Sky “Leeds love in”, it’s not always like that at Elland Road...

I also make a similar trip to you and sit in the East Stand and understand what you’re saying. Despite a few good seasons up and around the top of the championship, we’ve never had a team that I think the fans truly believed were absolutely brilliant. However, there have been occasions that occur that I’ve walked away from PP thinking “that was brilliant”, in terms of the match and atmosphere. So, painful as it is living with the Leeds lot, keep the faith and fingers crossed for better times. It’s what your footie memories are made of. 

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

@Harrogate ram I’d suggest you were in the wrong place at the wrong time on Friday night. It was perfect for a Leeds fan. Friday night under the lights. Sky game, full house, top of the league, lightening start, relentless from beginning to end. Something easy to get behind....Regardless of what’s been said on social media and the Sky “Leeds love in”, it’s not always like that at Elland Road...

I also make a similar trip to you and sit in the East Stand and understand what you’re saying. Despite a few good seasons up and around the top of the championship, we’ve never had a team that I think the fans truly believed were absolutely brilliant. However, there have been occasions that occur that I’ve walked away from PP thinking “that was brilliant”, in terms of the match and atmosphere. So, painful as it is living with the Leeds lot, keep the faith and fingers crossed for better times. It’s what your footie memories are made of. 

Sat enduring the Leeds fans for 90 minutes was tough Friday and the  scarves were cringeworthy 

Mate if you got through the late 70s in the “doc” years and the early 80s in division three then you either have a short memory or have grown impatient in your latter years ! 

Things as a Derby fan have been a lot, and I mean a lot worse !

no words are needed, your love for the club will never die, it’s just a bit of an itch.

football in out town has changed greatly and the way we watch it, we are no less passionate than the dirty Leeds fans, they are on their way up, they have had a million managers and have been down in the lower divisions so of course they are more upbeat, we on the other hand have learned to be more reserved with our expectations as we consistently get biffed in the face !

up the Rams.

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Do you really want promotion though ! 

Without massive investment what’s the point ?

It's a tricky one but you've got to be looking for promotion otherwise what is the point?!

A few teams have held their own in the Premier League without massive investment.

For the first time in a long time Premier League teams are all making profits (I think) and therefore organic growth is possible if them profits are reinvested.

I enjoy being competitive in this league but to be honest I'm at the stage now of thinking we've spent/are spending enough to think we are only actually achieving anything by making the play offs as a minimum, unfortunately that is the by product of all the money that MM has invested.

Archived