GOAT?

Comrade 86

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me yes, he’s certainly the best I’ve ever seen. I never thought I’d see a player in my lifetime better than Ronaldinho or Ronaldo(the real one) but Messi has taken the sport to another level. What’s so brilliant about him he that his goal scoring is just one of his amazing attributes. He’s arguably the best passer of all time, one of the greatest free kick takers ever, has amazing vision, the greatest dribbler ever and many people forget this but at his best, he was probably one of the best tacklers ever too in Guardiola’s team when he was at false 9, he was one of the first ones in the team to press.

It was often said that in training, Messi used to do things with the ball that would be almost illegal and that when he had it, his teammates like Thierry Henry stopped trying to make runs because they knew Messi would dribble past the whole team and score himself.

40 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Best ever? 434 in 400 games is bonkers.

He's only scored that many because of who he plays for. All the best strikers get near a goal a game for Barca, even Suarez who plays alongside him - they'd never score that many in the Prem where they've got actual competition. 

He could well be the GOAT but i'd have liked to have seen him have a season under Allardyce or our Gary. If he achieved a goal a game in that season then there'd be no question.

Think it’s hard to call someone the GOAT before we’ve seen their whole career, at the moment that title belongs to pele. But Messi is certainly on that level. His ability as a footballer doesn’t bare thinking about, it’s beyond anything you see in other players at the moment. Not just his goals but everything. His ability is beyond words. He’s not of this planet

Messi is by far the best we've seen on the planet. Other players like Pele and Maradona were running rings around defenders who'd probably been in the pub necking pints the night before. Messi has been absolutely embarrassing top athletes that spend the entire game trying to scythe him down. It'll be a long time before we seen anyone close to Messi again.

There is no GOAT in my opinion. Pele was the best of his era. Maradonna was the best of his. Messi is the best of ours.

Comparing them to each other is largely pointless because the game is totally different now compared to the time of Pele's career. It's not a fair comparison. If you took Messi back in time in a Delorean and stuck him up against Pele he would absolutely smash Pele to bits in terms of athleticism and technical ability because the game has evolved so much since then. That doesn't devalue the importance of Pele to the history of the game, it just highlights how silly it is to compare the two.

19 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Just shows how crap european opponents are.  France, Spain, Germany et al, are like Scotland, only 2 decent teams in the top division, rest are just fodder.

Every top league has very good teams and teams of lesser quality, including the premier league.

4 hours ago, Derbados said:

Sorry, Ronaldo still pips it for me, the guys a freak. 

Done it in multiple leagues for multiple teams and most importantly for his country, something messi has lacked when he hasn’t got the best players in the world around him 

I never get this argument 

Messi dragged Argentina to three finals

Ronaldo dragged Portugal to one final in which he played about half an hour and was attacked by a moth 

Oh, and Euro 2004 I suppose, but I’m not sure losing to Greece in the final despite home advantage does Portugal or Ronaldo any favours…

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

Ronaldo dragged Portugal to one final in which he played about half an hour and was attacked by a moth 

Oh, and Euro 2004 I suppose, but I’m not sure losing to Greece in the final despite home advantage does Portugal or Ronaldo any favours…

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’ve never understood the multiple league argument either. It’s not as if Cristiano Ronaldo played for Burnley and banged in 50 goals. He played for the biggest club in England, the biggest club in Spain and the best club in Italy.

As for the Messi  doing it for his country argument that Ronaldo fans often bring up, Messi has won the Olympics for Argentina, got to the World Cup final, and two copa America finals(both lost on penalties). Surely people can’t hold it against Messi that Higuain choked in the World Cup final by missing a sitter. So if Higuain scored that chance people would see Messi as the greatest of all time then?

Unpopular opinion but the champions league is of higher quality than the World Cup these days anyway.

Archived