Rob Elliott

DCFC1388

I get the slating if our CBS but when you have to heal with 28 crosses in 1 game and the keepers flapping at and not dealing with any of them it’s not necessarily there fault. Stop the crosses and a new keeper that can deal with crosses and we should be a lot better.

kepper, full backs and a CM are a must this transfer window imo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really don’t see the point in having two reserve keepers if we’re not going to use them. 

Carson has been poor for at least a month , made some good saves but his kicking is pretty dire most of the time , and doesn’t command his area enough , and has now started flapping at crosses .

Why would we want to bring loan keepers in , if our own keepers aren’t good enough why are they still here?

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

I get the slating if our CBS but when you have to heal with 28 crosses in 1 game and the keepers flapping at and not dealing with any of them it’s not necessarily there fault. Stop the crosses and a new keeper that can deal with crosses and we should be a lot better.

kepper, full backs and a CM are a must this transfer window imo

It’s the wingers who need to offer more protection for our full backs. Any full back will struggle when there are two wide men in space to deal with. 

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Without trying to start a "Keogh (or Tomori) is crap" discussion, Carson has suffered from not having trust in the defenders in front of him this season - I doubt any keeper (including Elliot) will look solid behind our wobbly defence.....

Or maybe our centre halfs would look better with full backs who stop crossses and a keeper who takes crosses - just saying 

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’s the wingers who need to offer more protection for our full backs. Any full back will struggle when there are two wide men in space to deal with. 

Trouble is our “wingers” always cut inside when we’re on the attack leaving the flanks wide open for the opposition. 

20 hours ago, Kernow said:

You’re allowed five loan players in your squad, so if Elliott joined we’d have room for one more only. You’re not going to use up a loan on a keeper if he’s just going to sit on the bench when there’s other areas that need attention, so if we signed him I imagine it would be to start.

Is he any better than Carson? Had a decent spell then suffered a big injury and lost his place at Newcastle and the Republic of Ireland. He’s behind Randolph on the ROI pecking order, who I don’t rate that highly.

I’m not sure he’s a big enough upgrade, if at all, on Carson to make it worth it. If we’re insistent on a loan keeper, I’d rather have any of the three Burnley keepers. Dyche has already said that one will probably leave on loan.

Not Hart..... He's a clown.  Pope or Heaton yes. 

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can’t say I ever remember watching him play. Does anyone know if he’ll be first choice or backup?

B9D24BD2-CBB5-419D-83D1-EE6A39C1307B.thumb.jpeg.6135f1f8210814486c2e91894349b384.jpeg

256D8B08-4887-4C5A-A244-245CA127A66F.thumb.jpeg.e61260b4e0fabc1f23823b32d2311c01.jpeg

Guess this suggests his distribution will be better but they’re both equally poor at dealing with crosses

I thought our philosophy was to pass out from the back. The above stat suggests that Elliot Hoofs the ball forward. Which is fine if you hit the target (which the stat suggest) But when our targets are 5 foot feck all then this might be a problem. 

Kelle Roos contract is up in the summer, it’s possible he feels his time as a number 2 is up and will leave to find a club to take up the number 1 jersey which you would wish him all the best for.

It’s difficult to find keepers that will push your number 1 whilst being happy with a place on the bench, we had Grant and Carson at one time which is as good as it probably gets in the Championship, not that some realised it at the time. 

You don’t want to stick young keepers on the bench, we need them out on loan getting game time, Elliott has made a career almost of being a number 2 keeper which isn’t a swipe, many decent keepers have found themselves as number 2’s and careers just gone like that.

Michel Vorm springs to mind, looked great at Swansea, joins Spurs and 5 seasons later and played just 16 games. 

Elliott has been at Newcastle 8 years now, might see potentially more games at Derby with Carson ageing, on the cheap makes a lot of sense. Let Roos go spread his wings.

On 13/01/2019 at 09:41, DCFC1388 said:

For me Carson hasnt been anywhere near the same level as last season, even Friday I would put him at fault for the 1st goal. Both goals at Stoke & Sheff Weds were preventable by him too.

The one where Tomori let a player get goal side of him at the front post? 

55 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The one where Tomori let a player get goal side of him at the front post? 

Yeh the one where if Carson caught an easy cross under no pressure the player wouldnt have been able to beat Bryson to put in another cross for Tomori to get beat at the near post.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Yeh the one where if Carson caught an easy cross under no pressure the player wouldnt have been able to beat Bryson to put in another cross for Tomori to get beat at the near post.

So you've just listed two other people who failed at their jobs after Carson made a clearance

By that logic it was whoever conceded the corner because we shouldn't give away corners

The bigger truth is they destroyed us in every area of the park - Our fullbacks looked woeful, Evans provided no cover whatsoever and they crushed anything our midfield tried to do right away - We were lucky not to concede penalties and should probably have lost by more

So blaming Carson because he made a decision you disagree with in the heat of the moment isn't constructive

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's referring to Carson punching clear rather than catching

I know - But it was a solid slightly wobbly punch clear

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

So you've just listed two other people who failed at their jobs after Carson made a clearance

By that logic it was whoever conceded the corner because we shouldn't give away corners

The bigger truth is they destroyed us in every area of the park - Our fullbacks looked woeful, Evans provided no cover whatsoever and they crushed anything our midfield tried to do right away - We were lucky not to concede penalties and should probably have lost by more

So blaming Carson because he made a decision you disagree with in the heat of the moment isn't constructive

I know - But it was a solid slightly wobbly punch clear

Every pundit/reporter ive seen on the incident have all said he should have caught the ball, your being pedantic to say its whoever conceded the corner etc, may as well go back to whoever took kick off then. The corner was a seperate piece of play and had Carson caught the ball which he easily could have then they wouldnt have scored.

Yes they were much better than us in all areas but who knows how the game may have panned out had he caught the ball and we held onto 0-0 for abit longer.

20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Every pundit/reporter ive seen on the incident have all said he should have caught the ball, your being pedantic to say its whoever conceded the corner etc, may as well go back to whoever took kick off then. The corner was a seperate piece of play and had Carson caught the ball which he easily could have then they wouldnt have scored.

Yes they were much better than us in all areas but who knows how the game may have panned out had he caught the ball and we held onto 0-0 for abit longer.

He didn't and that's that. Marriott et al didn't score either, it would have been a different game if we'd scored. ?

Archived