Rob Elliott

DCFC1388

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't and that's that. Marriott et al didn't score either, it would have been a different game if we'd scored. ?

I understand that, my reply is on the back on my initial post where I said Carson hasnt been as good this season as he was last and that imo he was at fault for the 1st goal on Friday. Cheron85 was saying that it was Tomori who got beat at the near post, my point is it should never have got to that situation in the first place.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Every pundit/reporter ive seen on the incident have all said he should have caught the ball, your being pedantic to say its whoever conceded the corner etc, may as well go back to whoever took kick off then. The corner was a seperate piece of play and had Carson caught the ball which he easily could have then they wouldnt have scored.

Yes - But I think fairly so

• If we hadn't conceded a corner they wouldn't have scored that goal
  • If Carson hadn't punched the ball they wouldn't have scored that goal
  • If Bryson had made a tackle/block they wouldn't have scored that goal
  • If Tomori had been the right side of his man they wouldn't have scored that goal

There were many problems in that passage of play and to blame Carson alone is willfully ignoring the rest of the passage of play - But if that's what you want to do then fair play to you

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

• If Tomori had been the right side of his man they wouldn't have scored that goal

There were many problems in that passage of play and to blame Carson alone is willfully ignoring the rest of the passage of play - But if that's what you want to do then fair play to you

After conceding the corner its a seperate piece of play. The latter 2 wouldnt have needed to happen if he caught the ball. Do you not agree he could & should have caught it?

I agree both Bryson & Tomori should have done better but my point is that it should never have got to the point for them to need to do better, a simple mistake by the goalkeeper put them in a position where they also failed

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

After conceding the corner its a seperate piece of play. The latter 2 wouldnt have needed to happen if he caught the ball. Do you not agree he could & should have caught it?

I agree both Bryson & Tomori should have done better but my point is that it should never have got to the point for them to need to do better, a simple mistake by the goalkeeper put them in a position where they also failed

Here’s the thing,, it’s seemed to me for a long time now that most keepers have a policy of punching balls that appear to be bread and butter catches,, it’s not just Carson and I for one would be very interested in the view of perhaps some pundits with goalkeeping experience as to why that is , is it the modern day footballs? Is it a coached tactic to not risk a catch / fumble in a crowded area but rather punch the ball as far away as poss and let defenders defend it? 

Seems a bit simple to blame Carson rather than question why this style of goalkeeping is the norm now

6 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Every pundit/reporter ive seen on the incident have all said he should have caught the ball, your being pedantic to say its whoever conceded the corner etc, may as well go back to whoever took kick off then. The corner was a seperate piece of play and had Carson caught the ball which he easily could have then they wouldnt have scored.

Yes they were much better than us in all areas but who knows how the game may have panned out had he caught the ball and we held onto 0-0 for abit longer.

* you’re being pedantic

14 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I agree and if you watch Tomori, he starts inside Roofe (correct) but the rather than stepping across him to intercept the cross, stays behind him, allowing Roofe to score.

It’s that basic instinct to get to the ball first which he lacks. He cannot rely on his phenomenal pace alone. I hope there is someone on the coaching staff who can teach him.

Gary Rowett is available?

22 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

He probably could have caught it - But a punch which sails out of the box is also a clearance - It wasn't good work but it wasn't like he flapped at it, missed and it went right to the striker

Blaming one player in s series of errors isn't useful or constructive - Either share the blame on everyone who could have done better or assume no-one could have done better and we're just not good enough - Picking at one part of a series of weak links is just playing a ridiculous blame game

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree and if you watch Tomori, he starts inside Roofe (correct) but the rather than stepping across him to intercept the cross, stays behind him, allowing Roofe to score.

It is centre-back 101 being goal side of the attacker - But the truth is he just didn't read the play whereas Roofe did - He was reacting to Roofe rather than reacting to the ball coming across

He'll get there - Just needs time to learn those things - Unfortunately when he does perfect that he's going to be one hell of a defender and not playing for us!

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s that basic instinct to get to the ball first which he lacks. He cannot rely on his phenomenal pace alone. I hope there is someone on the coaching staff who can teach him.

Gary Rowett is available?

Spot on! Tomori has cost us a lot of goals this season through a poor positional sense .Carson is having an indifferent season and none of our full backs can defend.So who gets the brunt of most criticism?-Keogh!!!?

3 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Can see this one happening, Newcastle have a large amount of keepers and Elliot has been decent every time I've seen him. Carson hasn't been the same this year so hopefully a new keeper will keep him looking over his shoulder. 

Done that too many times this season for my liking !

Archived