Rob Elliott

DCFC1388

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Carson hasnt been anywhere near the same level as last season, even Friday I would put him at fault for the 1st goal. Both goals at Stoke & Sheff Weds were preventable by him too.

I wonder if Elliot would be to put pressure on Carson or to replace him

Interesting that this link has surfaced. Personally I think Scott has been below the high standards he's set in the three previous seasons. Still a good shot stopper but not commanding the box like he used to.

Perhaps he needs a push and bringing in an experienced keeper in may be the answer. Not seen a great deal of Mitchell or Roos but both need to be playing (particularly Roos who's 26) I'm not sure either is capable of playing regularly at this level. If I recall Rowett was also linked with an experienced keeper on loan this time last year - Polish lad at Birmingham.

You’re allowed five loan players in your squad, so if Elliott joined we’d have room for one more only. You’re not going to use up a loan on a keeper if he’s just going to sit on the bench when there’s other areas that need attention, so if we signed him I imagine it would be to start.

Is he any better than Carson? Had a decent spell then suffered a big injury and lost his place at Newcastle and the Republic of Ireland. He’s behind Randolph on the ROI pecking order, who I don’t rate that highly.

I’m not sure he’s a big enough upgrade, if at all, on Carson to make it worth it. If we’re insistent on a loan keeper, I’d rather have any of the three Burnley keepers. Dyche has already said that one will probably leave on loan.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Without trying to start a "Keogh (or Tomori) is crap" discussion, Carson has suffered from not having trust in the defenders in front of him this season - I doubt any keeper (including Elliot) will look solid behind our wobbly defence.....

Works both ways for me Gaspode. If Carson makes the routine catches and saves he’s currently not doing our whole defensive unit looks twice as good. When he’s flapping at balls like that on Friday it’s just heaping more pressure on our defence. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Works both ways for me Gaspode. If Carson makes the routine catches and saves he’s currently not doing our whole defensive unit looks twice as good. When he’s flapping at balls like that on Friday it’s just heaping more pressure on our defence. 

Absolutely - but the point I was making is that he's not necessarily a worse player this year, just struggling to deal with the uncertanties in front of him - and while it's true that he's made a lot more mistakes than last season, that's likely to be a symptom of what he's up against. Last year he was fairly confident in what was likely to happen when the ball dropped into our box - this year, Tomori spends too much time ball watching and gets out of position to deal with the ball (and opposition players) and Keogh (I suspect) is trying to over compensate for that and so also gets himself in daft positions - that makes it hard for Carson to know whether he should try to catch the ball or leave it to a defender to deal with. We can try a different keeper, but I suspect the root of the problem is the defence rather than the keeper....

22 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Without trying to start a "Keogh (or Tomori) is crap" discussion, Carson has suffered from not having trust in the defenders in front of him this season - I doubt any keeper (including Elliot) will look solid behind our wobbly defence.....

Would be a totally different defence mentally if Davies was fit missing him big time this season..

38 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Cant blame them 2 for him to catching the corner vs Leeds nor making a mess of the freekick vs qpr

Archived