Bogle

DCFC1388

On 18/01/2019 at 12:37, cheron85 said:

I think Hughes spoiled us - He was a class act and a level above the rest of the team as soon as he came in - We've forgotten that pretty much every other player needs time to settle and learn their craft

Christie was 22 when he first came in and he was a much better player when he left us than when he started 

Cyrus Christie reminds me of Shane Warnes comment about Monty Pansaar, "he hasn't played 34 tests, he's played one test 34 times".

I first saw Cyrus Vs Notts County in pre season, and couldn't believe we'd picked up this lad from Cov for such a bargain fee.

A couple of years later, I couldn't believe he'd made so little progress on the poor side of his game, and so little on the good side.

After watching him for Fulham last Sunday, I'd say the same still applies, for 90% of the game he was great, but the other 10% he's a liability.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

We signed him after just loosing the play off final for a promotion bid the next year, so I guess there was just as much pressure

Will Hughes came into the team well before the Wembley season when we were content to finish 10th - 12th.

Hence Will Hughes faced less pressure, when coming into the team was what my post was intended to convey.?

Are people suggesting that Holmes is our future RB? A player with skill who can beat a man with excellent dribbling should become a defender all because an 18 year old has struggled to deal with crosses in his first season. Seriously?

Holmes has a future as one of our advanced CM’s while also being able to cover on the wing. He is not and should not be considered to be an option as our permanent RB, it would waste his talent

58 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Are people suggesting that Holmes is our future RB? A player with skill who can beat a man with excellent dribbling should become a defender all because an 18 year old has struggled to deal with crosses in his first season. Seriously?

Holmes has a future as one of our advanced CM’s while also being able to cover on the wing. He is not and should not be considered to be an option as our permanent RB, it would waste his talent

Bogle is decent on the ball but Holmes is excellent. The way we try and play it out from the back means Holmes would see more of the ball at RB than on wing.

Then when Holmes gets the ball in attacking places, he is obviously much better. A back 4 of Holmes, Cole, Keogh and Tomori could be the best we've ever had in terms of ball playing defenders. 

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Bogle is decent on the ball but Holmes is excellent. The way we try and play it out from the back means Holmes would see more of the ball at RB than on wing.

Then when Holmes gets the ball in attacking places, he is obviously much better. A back 4 of Holmes, Cole, Keogh and Tomori could be the best we've ever had in terms of ball playing defenders. 

Also, Valencia and young, both at Man utd, also wingers, were moved to full backs. If it's good enough tactic for Fergie it's good enough for me.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Here what Ur saying mate and it makes sense 

Id just rather like to see players who can create and cause the opposition problems in and around their box

playing him deeper would be letting them off the hook to a degree and although I wasn’t Christie’s biggest fan I do feel for the lad because he was our outlet and attacking Option from full back. Half the time he ran himself into the ground going up and down that flank and that’s when mistakes are made 

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

He could play wing back in a 5, as a full back in a 4 it'd be such a waste. Plus, we'd get done more on backpost crosses than we ever have.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

It would.

The obvious drawback being that if I was an opposition manager and had done my spying I'd be sticking my tallest player on the left and get some diagonals / crosses coming from in the other side.

That said Holmes looked very good in his little stints at fb.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

And absolutely poo in the air and at bread and butter defending,  we are light weight enough at the back as it is Holmes should never in a million years be played at fullback that would be an awful decision, the first priority for a fullback is defending and heading and Holmes with his height and physique wouldn't be capable against  most strikers in this league.  A clever striker will always drift on to the weak link at the back , and with how easy it is to put crosses in against us it would be asking for trouble to have Holmes at the back post.

20 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

And absolutely poo in the air and at bread and butter defending,  we are light weight enough at the back as it is Holmes should never in a million years be played at fullback that would be an awful decision, the first priority for a fullback is defending and heading and Holmes with his height and physique wouldn't be capable against  most strikers in this league.  A clever striker will always drift on to the weak link at the back , and with how easy it is to put crosses in against us it would be asking for trouble to have Holmes at the back post.

So your saying Frank makes aweful decisions !? 

Archived