UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS ..

Ram8

2 minutes ago, SlugForAButt said:

I'm glad you see it like that, but the reality is that Forest are one of only a handful of teams to retain the European cup. Let's not forget the FA cups and stuff too, better in what way?

Clough was a revelation at Derby and later Forest, but honestly... the WOW factor was at Forest. No one can diminish his achievements, I think the guy was a genius in a time where titles weren't only for the richest and managerial skill mattered (still love him admitting he didn't want to be the first to sign a 1m pound player, so he signed Francis for £999999.99p even though that was massive money). Shitheads like Mourinho can only dream of being as good as Shankly, Clough or Revie. Managers that changed the game.

No doubt about it, Forest were what Derby could have become if your chairman hadn't pissed him off.

Leeds and Forest, living in the past for eternity ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SlugForAButt said:

I'm glad you see it like that, but the reality is that Forest are one of only a handful of teams to retain the European cup. Let's not forget the FA cups and stuff too, better in what way?

Clough was a revelation at Derby and later Forest, but honestly... the WOW factor was at Forest. No one can diminish his achievements, I think the guy was a genius in a time where titles weren't only for the richest and managerial skill mattered (still love him admitting he didn't want to be the first to sign a 1m pound player, so he signed Francis for £999999.99p even though that was massive money). Shitheads like Mourinho can only dream of being as good as Shankly, Clough or Revie. Managers that changed the game.

No doubt about it, Forest were what Derby could have become if your chairman hadn't pissed him off.

Well lets face it. That forest team were a bit dour. Not sure beating malmo even counts tbh. Lloyd and Burns v mcfarland and todd?

i agree that shanks was a genius btw. Not sure about your lad though. Too many brown envelopes.

Derby are inconsistent - and that is only to be expected. Half the side consist of people who have played less than 50 games at this level, and it is unrealistic to expect them to perform as brilliantly as they have in some games. I don't even look upon this season as 'transitional' - I look upon it as 'Lampard getting his feet under the table and finding out a few things about himself and the players he has at his disposal'.

I expect nothing, but I'm enjoying it. I'm also looking forward to finally being able to get to the match on Saturday, after a couple of months of being a blooming invalid.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well lets face it. That forest team were a bit dour. Not sure beating malmo even counts tbh. Lloyd and Burns v mcfarland and todd?

i agree that shanks was a genius btw. Not sure about your lad though. Too many brown envelopes.

I always thought Forest were good to watch myself.

And why doesn't Malmo count? Didn't Forest knock out Liverpool and didn't Malmo knock out Real Madrid? So... both these teams knocked out the biggest clubs in Europe over 2 legs and it doesn't count? Sounds pretty bitter to me.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Öster

Argeș Pitești

Dynamo Berlin

Malmo

Koln

Grasshopper

Oldham

Luton twice

These are the teams Forest have beaten to win there silverware .  Someone did a deal with devil to get that lot .  I've never even heard of the first three.

And maybe you want to check the games they played to get to the finals? And see the teams that were beaten by the other finalists?

1 minute ago, SlugForAButt said:

And why doesn't Malmo count? Didn't Forest knock out Liverpool and didn't Malmo knock out Real Madrid? So... both these teams knocked out the biggest clubs in Europe over 2 legs and it doesn't count? Sounds pretty bitter to me.

Forest have a ten year history like yourselves - they just did a bit better than you. 

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I agree, Shankly, was probably the most influential manager of the British game. Bar none!

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Forest have a ten year history like yourselves - they just did a bit better than you. 

They did far better than us , I'm not sure what your point is? And as for dismissing their achievements under Clough as "a ten year period" is just plain childish. I suppose you think what he achieved with you was more impressive?

The difference is, Clough isn't revered at Leeds as he is at Derby which is why it must stick in your gullet a bit that he did so much more for your neighbours. I actually really liked Clough and his mouthy cocksure ways but it doesn't mean I wished he'd stayed at Leeds. Revie had given these players enough confidence to see him off, for better or for worse, who knows?

I still rate him as one of the best, just not the personality to fit in at Leeds at the time.

2 minutes ago, SlugForAButt said:

They did far better than us , I'm not sure what your point is? And as for dismissing their achievements under Clough as "a ten year period" is just plain childish. I suppose you think what he achieved with you was more impressive?

The difference is, Clough isn't revered at Leeds as he is at Derby which is why it must stick in your gullet a bit that he did so much more for your neighbours. I actually really liked Clough and his mouthy cocksure ways but it doesn't mean I wished he'd stayed at Leeds. Revie had given these players enough confidence to see him off, for better or for worse, who knows?

I still rate him as one of the best, just not the personality to fit in at Leeds at the time.

It was ten years , give or take ten months 78-89.  They did do far better than you .  No it doesn't stick in my gullet win some /lose some  .  Glad you haven't argued you had a ten year history yourself .  Have you paid Huddersfield back they money they lent you to stay in existence 90 year's ago ?  its probably overdue . They could do with it to buy a player .

On 13/01/2019 at 11:00, Andicis said:

It's almost like Leeds used underhand, cheating tactics to get into our heads before the game even began. We were crap, but I'm sure the gamesmanship from Bielsa was part of it.

It might just be me but I really wish we'd stop complaining about the spying.

Not only have Leeds spanked us 6-1 on aggregate this season but I, for one, have been flabbergasted at the general preciousness over it, and not just among Derby fans. 

It concerned me before the match that we, as a club, were so focused on the alleged wrong. Why? Because, psychologically, it could've subconsciously said to the players that we might have an excuse.

If that was Bielsa's intention (which I doubt), then I congratulate him for successfully outsmarting our coaching staff and securing a mental edge over us.

It's just the latest lesson Leeds have taught us  this season.

5 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

It might just be me but I really wish we'd stop complaining about the spying.

My post was 5 days ago, it was a lot more relevant then. They didn't teach us a lesson, they cheated, but I really don't feel like getting into it anymore. I've said all I needed to say on the matter.

6 hours ago, SlugForAButt said:

Chill out. It was a joke.

having watched both teams i just happen to agree with brian that Derby were the better team.

I started this post 7 pages ago and 2 things have happened ..

a) .. the ones who replied directly to my post misunderstood it, as ME criticising and complaining about the players, whereas I was actually pointing out that many here on the forum had overestimated the ability of some players, not the same thing at all, although I did point out that FL has been inconsistent in some of his selections.

b) .. as early as page 2 the post started to veer wildly ‘off topic’ in at least 3 other directions, and is now so unfocused that I’m expecting someone to bring the Brexit issue up next ! 

Actually .. er, no, let’s not go THERE !! 

6 hours ago, SlugForAButt said:

I agree, Shankly, was probably the most influential manager of the British game. Bar none!

See below

On 25 August 2018 at 20:19, RamNut said:

He was the best football manager in the whole history of the game. He understood the passion of the fans and he could express himself in terrific pithy language. I'm sure he would believe that that you couldn't blame the crowd for failure to manage the crowd. I doubt whether he'd blame a single bloke on a horse either. He'd just nail it totally. 

he would have attacked the mentality that treated fans as scum and erected the fences in the first place.

Obviously I think he was a great man.

9 hours ago, SlugForAButt said:

The poster is not saying how he sees it, he is just repeating what Clough himself said.

Good luck with the rest of your fishing expedition. 

Must be exciting to be in from the wilderness after 10 years of being irrelevant to everyone other than yourselves. 

9 hours ago, SlugForAButt said:

I'm glad you see it like that, but the reality is that Forest are one of only a handful of teams to retain the European cup. Let's not forget the FA cups and stuff too...

Yes people, let's not forget all those FA Cups Mr Clough got his hands on!  

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Öster

Argeș Pitești

Dynamo Berlin

Malmo

Koln

Grasshopper

Oldham

Luton twice

These are the teams Forest have beaten to win there silverware .  Someone did a deal with devil to get that lot .  I've never even heard of the first three.

I could swear I remember them turning over AEK Athens at the City Ground one year and assumed that was one of their European cup years? Viv Anderson scoring a belter.

I assumed that's where the greek first heard of them...and its just taken him the 40 years to get the deposit together. ?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

I could swear I remember them turning over AEK Athens at the City Ground one year and assumed that was one of their European cup years? Viv Anderson scoring a belter.

I assumed that's where the greek first heard of them...and its just taken him the 40 years to get the deposit together. ?

Agreed.

If memory serves, they (comfortably) beat AEK in the round after they beat Liverpool, although whether that was on the way to their first or second win, I cant remember.

I only remember as AEK are one of the few I'd seen with my own eyes at the BBG ('76?), and as we lost to them (AEK) I was hopeful Fore*t would suffer the same outcome... I think they ended up winning something like 8-2 on aggregate(?)  :-(

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Agreed.

If memory serves, they (comfortably) beat AEK in the round after they beat Liverpool, although whether that was on the way to their first or second win, I cant remember.

I only remember as AEK are one of the few I'd seen with my own eyes at the BBG ('76?), and as we lost to them (AEK) I was hopeful Fore*t would suffer the same outcome... I think they ended up winning something like 8-2 on aggregate(?)  ?

ahh yes - didn't we lose 3-2 at the BBG? Autumn 76 in the UEFA cup (which we were in cos we finished 4th in 75-76 season.....and were disappointed!!!)

Archived