UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS ..

Ram8

Of course frank has had his hands tied.

With hindsight he might not have blown a wedge on waghorn but at the time there was interest in nugent. 

I think we are suffering now more than in the summer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd assume that every manager in the division has a wage budget.

Imagine our budget will be up there amongst the highest.

Exactly my point, with FFP he has to work within constraints as the result of big contracts given out by other managers I presume ?

As for your house point, the tpotblen is that he has a lot of other houses that aren’t worth anything and he has to spend that money upgrading them.

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Exactly my point, with FFP he has to work within constraints as the result of big contracts given out by other managers I presume ?

As for your house point, the tpotblen is that he has a lot of other houses that aren’t worth anything and he has to spend that money upgrading them.

Which I thought he did during the summer?

He made 7 signings (I think).

I'm pretty sure he has had said that he will only sign players that improve the squad?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which I thought he did during the summer?

He made 7 signings (I think).

I'm pretty sure he has had said that he will only sign players that improve the squad?

Didn’t say he did, however to say he has had the biggest budget in the league and not taking into account the net down imo is incorrect. He is trying to rebuild a team that was aging and failed miserably in the play offs last season. 

He had to sell the beat player from last season to fund his other incomings, and had to work within FFP from a legacy of other managers.  He could never include Vydra in his plans from the start as it was obvious he was going to have to leave to do this. 

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Didn’t say he did, however to say he has had the biggest budget in the league and not taking into account the net down imo is incorrect. He is trying to rebuild a team that was aging and failed miserably in the play offs last season. 

He had to sell the beat player from last season to fund his other incomings, and had to work within FFP from a legacy of other managers.  He could never include Vydra in his plans from the start as it was obvious he was going to have to leave to do this. 

I didn't say he had the biggest budget in the league? 

I said he had the 3rd highest spend in the league  (which may be 4th or 5th based on what other sites say).

Vydra may have been last year's best player but weren't many on here also saying he was an individual, not a team player and wouldnt suit FLs plans? 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I didn't say he had the biggest budget in the league? 

I said he had the 3rd highest spend in the league  (which may be 4th or 5th based on what other sites say).

Vydra may have been last year's best player but weren't many on here also saying he was an individual, not a team player and wouldnt suit FLs plans? 

A lot of people say a lot on here, don’t make it true though. And as for the budget, he still has to work with a certain player to fit into FFP, think it’s sixth highest spend, and replacing your top scorer from last year, so maybe we are punching above our weight. That’s not taking into account other managers that have more than one window to come in, look at the squad and try to implement their own style.

41 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

A lot of people say a lot on here, don’t make it true though. And as for the budget, he still has to work with a certain player to fit into FFP, think it’s sixth highest spend, and replacing your top scorer from last year, so maybe we are punching above our weight. That’s not taking into account other managers that have more than one window to come in, look at the squad and try to implement their own style.

That's fair comment.

I certainly won't be judging him on the basis of him having his hands tied though. 

That would be like comparing him to Nigel Clough when in reality the conditions in which they operated are pretty much polar opposites.

Its embarrassing the way some people act. The worst thing about our club is our own 'fans'. the majority vote at the start of the season was this was a transition season. we are in the play offs, which would therefore mean we are over achieving right now. We've not been able to spend a lot (Net spend) and we are still up there. 

I used to think the negativity around the ground was due to the boring boring football we used to play, when really, people arent happy regardless of the football. We dont have a God given right to go up. Bogle isn't going to be good enough at the age of 18. Bryson isn't going to be as good as he was 4 years ago. Lampard isn't going to get every decision right. But we need to support them, Not slag them off. 

12 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Its embarrassing the way some people act. The worst thing about our club is our own 'fans'. the majority vote at the start of the season was this was a transition season. we are in the play offs, which would therefore mean we are over achieving right now. We've not been able to spend a lot (Net spend) and we are still up there. 

I used to think the negativity around the ground was due to the boring boring football we used to play, when really, people arent happy regardless of the football. We dont have a God given right to go up. Bogle isn't going to be good enough at the age of 18. Bryson isn't going to be as good as he was 4 years ago. Lampard isn't going to get every decision right. But we need to support them, Not slag them off. 

There is a section of the fan base that seems generally dissatisfied with life and project this onto Derby County FC.

When we aren’t on TV they will go along to tut for 90 minutes.

Maybe Leeds are top because their fans sing and wave flags in support of their team?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is your definition of 'had his hands tied'?

4 permanent signings and 3 loan signings is not my definition.

frank hasn't been unable to do anything -  the club have facilitated what they can - but he has still been 'frustrated' or restricted in what he can do.

The loans are a symptom of that. He isn't able to buy the numbers he needs to replace the dead wood.

we were linked with jordan jones (24) and glen kamara (23). Both fit the profile of what we are looking for, but both have just signed for Steven Gerrard at Rangers. that might have narked Frank.

We currently have no reserve centre backs - other than shifting wisdom - who doesn't seem to be frank's type of ball playing centre half. Again, he doesn't have the money to go out and bring in the players he needs.

as he has just said himself, he has few opportunities to rest Bogle because he only has Wisdom in reserve for that position too.

he has had no option but to recall max lowe, who isn't really ready or good enough and might have been better off eating porridge and haggis for another five months.

I think he is finding it hard going at the moment.

We want a rebuild. We want promotion. We want champagne football. We want him to pull rabbits out hats.

And we want it all on the cheap and we want it now.

How many transition seasons do we have to have? Seems to me every season has been a transition season to some.

Mel thought our squad last season was good enough to be in the top 2 and I suspect he feels the same again this season.

I feel our squad is good enough, but that team selection and set up has not been. There are far too many changes from one match to the next. We are weak in midfield and that's because we are playing too many guys there who really see themselves as inside forwards.

18 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's almost like Leeds used underhand, cheating tactics to get into our heads before the game even began. We were crap, but I'm sure the gamesmanship from Bielsa was part of it.

I don't buy it smells like excuses to me. We have been off it for a while and this match highlighted our shortcomings big style. 

Sorry but if a man in a Bush can knock them this badly they all need to grow a pair and fast!

4 minutes ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

I don't buy it smells like excuses to me. We have been off it for a while and this match highlighted our shortcomings big style. 

Sorry but if a man in a Bush can knock them this badly they all need to grow a pair and fast!

It's not an excuse. I admit we played badly, doesn't ignore the facts they cheated though.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

frank hasn't been unable to do anything -  the club have facilitated what they can - but he has still been 'frustrated' or restricted in what he can do.

The loans are a symptom of that. He isn't able to buy the numbers he needs to replace the dead wood.

we were linked with jordan jones (24) and glen kamara (23). Both fit the profile of what we are looking for, but both have just signed for Steven Gerrard at Rangers. that might have narked Frank.

We currently have no reserve centre backs - other than shifting wisdom - who doesn't seem to be frank's type of ball playing centre half. Again, he doesn't have the money to go out and bring in the players he needs.

as he has just said himself, he has few opportunities to rest Bogle because he only has Wisdom in reserve for that position too.

he has had no option but to recall max lowe, who isn't really ready or good enough and might have been better off eating porridge and haggis for another five months.

I think he is finding it hard going at the moment.

We want a rebuild. We want promotion. We want champagne football. We want him to pull rabbits out hats.

And we want it all on the cheap and we want it now.

If that is what he wanted, then I think it's reasonable to ask why he spent the money on Waghorn and Josefzoon.

I don't want it all.

We certainly aren't doing anything on the cheap.

And I'm in no rush for anything.

Quite enjoy playing in the Championship in a division where we are competitive on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, KCG said:

How many transition seasons do we have to have? Seems to me every season has been a transition season to some.

Mel thought our squad last season was good enough to be in the top 2 and I suspect he feels the same again this season.

I feel our squad is good enough, but that team selection and set up has not been. There are far too many changes from one match to the next. We are weak in midfield and that's because we are playing too many guys there who really see themselves as inside forwards.

It feels like Every ducking season has been called  a transition season for the last 12 years to be honest,  this season is Lampard's first in charge so far I can't complain too much, but if people start to call next season a "transition season" as we are midtable half way through that is when I will be really pissed off.

22 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Trying to think why the mood after the Leeds defeat is so downbeat ..

Ok, we were dreadful on the night, and lost badly to one of our bitterest rivals,  but I have a feeling it adds up to more than that, and I believe that some of the early optimistic judgements made about certain players have a lot to do with it .. 

Scott Carson .. early in the season he was regularly being rated as one of our top three keepers ever. This reputation has been severely tested after a number of schoolboy errors, and the realisation that his distribution skills need drastic improvement ..

Jayden Bogle .. after his first few games he was being mentioned as a future England international, and a saleable asset in the Will Hughes class. He has since been downgraded to a promising Academy product, with much still to learn .. 

Fikayo Tomori .. has more pace than our other centre backs, but has been frequently exposed when tight marking required .. 

Craig Bryson .. after his season in the wilderness with Cardiff, he was hailed as the ‘Returning Messiah’, a view that has now lost total credibility with the realisation that he contributes nothing in midfield anymore, and is obviously, and sadly, past his sell by date .. 

George Evans .. touted as the natural successor to Tom Huddlestone, a view painfully exposed last night, with the realisation that, without Tom in the team, our creativity and composure are seriously lacking against a team as good as Leeds ..

Mason Mount .. could do no wrong early in the season, our very own ‘boy wonder’ and creative midfield dynamo, the future fulcrum of the England national team. Since been ‘missing’ in many games where the action has passed him by, and revealed his callow youth and inexperience .. 

David Nugent .. supposedly our ‘super sub’ for an injection of enthusiastic running late in a game, but fruitless chasing (albeit with a smile on his face) doesn’t add up to a productive contribution anymore; another one way past his sell by date I’m afraid ..

Tom Lawrence .. supposedly his ‘breakthrough season’, when his latent talent emerges to reveal his consistently creative contributions to our forward play. Not happened has it, just as frustrating as ever .. 

Jack Marriott .. enormous promise as a natural goalscorer, but due to being isolated up front, without support, is increasingly cutting a frustrated figure; and until Lampard brings back Chris Martin to partner him, will remain so ..

Martin Waghorn .. was going to be Chris Martin’s (£5 million pound) replacement, but been nothing more than an occasional sub, like Marriott, not really his fault ..

Frank Lampard .. I’m afraid has to take responsibility for some of the above, in his inconsistent selections, and the resultant lack of continuity and consistency in our performances, but hopefully will learn from his mistakes in time to get us ‘through the gate’ this time !! 

Mostly good observations. I really don't understand the Waghorn situation. He should have been in the starting line up at Elland Road.

Archived