Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SuperDerbySuperRams

Keep the faith

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, jono said:

As have so many championship clubs .. nothing new there and if you take out Voldermort splashing cash like a teenage lottery winner and Clement having to find hurried replacements for Hughes and Bryson after one match then actually we haven’t been that daft. This is the game in the championship if you are in it for the fight. 

I hear what you're saying but you can't just ignore the 2 exceptions to the rule that you've quoted those 2 aberrations are still having a ripple effect on our current transfer spending power. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

It’s easy to see who are naturally negative people and who are naturally positive people in this thread. Positive people are happier in life generally. Try it. 

On paper we do have a good run in compared to those around us. Our struggles against teams towards the bottom have been away from home, we’ve got to play these teams at home where we’ve been strong, especially against the lesser sides. 

Our next run of fixtures gives us a great chance at a decent points haul. 

We need to play better yes but we should’ve beaten Bristol and Boro, the performances were not bad by any means, the performance levels from those games against the likes of Millwall Reading and Rotherham Bolton towards the end of the season at home will be enough. 

Weve had a tough run and in a couple of games have not played well, but our performances have been made to look worst by playing Leeds and Sheff Utd away from home, arguably along with Hull the best teams in the league at this moment.

Defensively we ain’t great but the stats will also tell you we ain’t bad. Do we have a goal threat - yes! 

Would we capitulate at Wigan 3-0 and would we lose 2-0 at reading and get reduced to 9 men?! No we wouldn’t and we didn’t, we in fact won both of those away games and we still have to play them both at home, both with dismal away records!! Forest  Villa and Stoke have far more to worry about than we do! 

We are in a great position considering the level of change in personnel, playing style and with a rookie manager! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

I hear what you're saying but you can't just ignore the 2 exceptions to the rule that you've quoted those 2 aberrations are still having a ripple effect on our current transfer spending power. 

 

Bearing in mind in the opening match of that season we lost 2 key midfield players to serious injury, when we signed Johnson and Butterfield (both POTS for their clubs in the preceding season), out of interest did you voice your concerns at the time or as with a number of posters, is it a case of hindsight, which is a really wonderful thing?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Bearing in mind in the opening match of that season we lost 2 key midfield players to serious injury, when we signed Johnson and Butterfield (both POTS for their clubs in the preceding season), out of interest did you voice your concerns at the time or as with a number of posters, is it a case of hindsight, which is a really wonderful thing?

The spend has been demonstrated as being unjustified. 

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Dare I mention the history of our usual turn of year slump too? The fact we've stumbled our way to this point gives me optimism that this year we might reverse that trend. I've not factual evidence to back that up other than it has to change at some point so why not this year? UTR. 

What’s facts got to do with this forum?

Good thread  @Super Derby Super Rams

Come on Derby don’t ruin any more weekends in my house please💪

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It’s easy to see who are naturally negative people and who are naturally positive people in this thread. Positive people are happier in life generally. Try it. 

On paper we do have a good run in compared to those around us. Our struggles against teams towards the bottom have been away from home, we’ve got to play these teams at home where we’ve been strong, especially against the lesser sides. 

Our next run of fixtures gives us a great chance at a decent points haul. 

We need to play better yes but we should’ve beaten Bristol and Boro, the performances were not bad by any means, the performance levels from those games against the likes of Millwall Reading and Rotherham Bolton towards the end of the season at home will be enough. 

Weve had a tough run and in a couple of games have not played well, but our performances have been made to look worst by playing Leeds and Sheff Utd away from home, arguably along with Hull the best teams in the league at this moment.

Defensively we ain’t great but the stats will also tell you we ain’t bad. Do we have a goal threat - yes! 

Would we capitulate at Wigan 3-0 and would we lose 2-0 at reading and get reduced to 9 men?! No we wouldn’t and we didn’t, we in fact won both of those away games and we still have to play them both at home, both with dismal away records!! Forest  Villa and Stoke have far more to worry about than we do! 

We are in a great position considering the level of change in personnel, playing style and with a rookie manager! 

 

Agreed. We are 6th because that's where our results since the start of the season have determined where we sit in the table. We are not playing consistently well enough to be any higher - get some good returns from the next half dozen fixtures and we'll strengthen and hopefully improve on that 6th place, play as we did at Rotherham, Bolton and Millwall and we might struggle to make the playoffs.

I'm confident we can turn our current form around- or at least I prefer to think we will rather than won't but we'll just have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The spend has been demonstrated as being unjustified. 

Well there's me thinking that's what hindsight was - have I got that wrong then? You never answered my question.

Edited by Wolfie20

Share this post


Link to post

Should not really matter who we are playing, it was made clear last season that fans are only interested in performances and not points, so really should be irrelevant who we are playing.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Well there's me thinking that's what hindsight was - have I got that wrong then? You never answered my question.

My point was that was irrelevant at the time whether it was thought to be the right thing to do or not,  history has decreed that it wasn't justified.

Whether I thought it was the right thing to do or not at the time is largely unimportant.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We need to play better yes but we should’ve beaten Bristol and Boro, the performances were not bad by any means, the performance levels from those games against the likes of Millwall Reading and Rotherham Bolton towards the end of the season at home will be enough. 

 

That's just blind positivity though BR, in what way should we have beaten Bristol City or Boro?! The Bristol City game saw us gift two golden opportunities to them in the first half which they thankfully only converted one and then they had a perfectly onside goal ruled out in the second half. Boro had a golden chance at 1-1 to go ahead and headed it straight at Carson from two yards out, do we ignore that to focus on the late Nugent chance just to fit the argument? We didn't play well in either game for long enough to win the game and rightly didn't. 

I don't think performances are anywhere near what's required. Sheff United was a shocker as was last night. 

It can only get better. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Taking a look at the fixtures list, we have 

 

Reading H 

Millwall (Postponed due to cup, not sure on new date) H

Preston A

Hull H

Ipswich A

Wigan H 

 

No easy games in this division, but lots of winnable games in there. We’ve got through our tough run and we still find ourselves in a very good position. It’s tough to stay positive after a poor performance but we still have so much to fight for. Let’s hope we finish January with a few wins and a couple of new signings, and everything will be looking far rosier 

The way the team capitulated with an abject performance against Leeds is in no way an indicator of a top 6 finish. 

Share this post


Link to post

Our peak performances came when we played at pace, and pressed and harried the opposition, But suddenly that all went out of the window and we went all dilly-dally at the back and slowed our play right down, and have struggled ever since. The change was to try and shore up the defence to cut out all the silly goals we were giving away. It must have worked, because we are now having to give away stupid ones instead. In other words, we have stifled our natural abilities for no apparent gain.

 

I say lets get back to the high-paced, fast-paced gameplay and simply outscore the opposition. Besides, our defensive record, despite the systematic catastrophes isn't actually that bad. Why the worry? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

That's just blind positivity though BR, in what way should we have beaten Bristol City or Boro?! The Bristol City game saw us gift two golden opportunities to them in the first half which they thankfully only converted one and then they had a perfectly onside goal ruled out in the second half. Boro had a golden chance at 1-1 to go ahead and headed it straight at Carson from two yards out, do we ignore that to focus on the late Nugent chance just to fit the argument? We didn't play well in either game for long enough to win the game and rightly didn't. 

I don't think performances are anywhere near what's required. Sheff United was a shocker as was last night. 

It can only get better. 

 

Nugent chances (sorry sitters) in both games, the first 20 mins v brizzle where we should’ve been out of sight, the fast start and great finish to the the boro game. I can go on.

Not blind positivity, we played a solid 6/7 out of 10 in both, two good sides we needed to play better but that level of a performance isn’t bad and will be enough to win a good few of the games we have in the second half of the season against lesser opposition (at home)

im fully aware of our shortcomings but refuse to accept the posts of some on here who from what they’re posting they seem to think we’re miles away and our season is falling apart. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even if we don’t add this window we will be in the playoff fight to the end, whether we get over the line remains to be seen.

Next 6 games is judgment time, not away matches against the top 2!

 

Share this post


Link to post

We need to go fo it, sheff utd might go up With players like leon Clarke and mark Duffy. Leeds will win the league, second spot is anyones. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Hull or Bristol city pinch that second spot. The standard is poor, a couple of quality signings and we could make it ours. I 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

We need to go fo it, sheff utd might go up With players like leon Clarke and mark Duffy. Leeds will win the league, second spot is anyones. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Hull or Bristol city pinch that second spot. The standard is poor, a couple of quality signings and we could make it ours. I 

This is my sentiment, it's definitely there for the taking and someone will.

I am all for franks free hit transitional season regardless of what happens but sometimes opportunities come up and you've got to grab them, this is an opportunity, with no team showing a great deal of consistency.

Two or three inspirational signings whether permanent or loan is what's needed down the spine.

So come on frank pull some favours in. Get on the phone to Sari and Pep and get; Hudson-Odoi (sod Bayern), Ampadu, Loftus Cheek and Foden 😁

Share this post


Link to post

Im still looking at top 2. Lots of points up for grabs and the Championship is a mess this season - any of the top 6 could finish 2nd.

We'll need to do some business this window though Frank!

Frank!!!

Share this post


Link to post

One of the biggest things last night that stood out to me was how good Jansson and Cooper were in defence, there proper defenders and put Keogh and Tomori to shame. It’s a massive gulf between the two sets of players

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.