Lampard’s comments on January spending

Stedcfc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm delighted Frank has come out and said we have no money. Previously teams have seen us coming armed with Mel's chequebook and quadrupled the price. And boy have we paid the price.

I expect us to buy a centre half and I think it'll prove a good long-term buy.

But also I want the team to step up. We have quality personnel, but they don't all seem to realize that you have to win your battles before you can start expressing yourself. Frank has demonstrated the value of hard work throughout his career. His team needs to reflect that and out work the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm delighted Frank has come out and said we have no money. Previously teams have seen us coming armed with Mel's chequebook and quadrupled the price. And boy have we paid the price.

I expect us to buy a centre half and I think it'll prove a good long-term buy.

But also I want the team to step up. We have quality personnel, but they don't all seem to realize that you have to win your battles before you can start expressing yourself. Frank has demonstrated the value of hard work throughout his career. His team needs to reflect that and out work the opposition.

He might just end up frustrated at how crap most of them are. 

I believe that was Alan Balls major bugbear as a manager. He couldnt get them to be as good as he was. No sheet Sherlock. 

8 minutes ago, philmycock said:

C'mon stick with it, we're all Derby aren't we ? 

Ay up old mate. Yeah..not much choice but to stick with it is there. But as i explained elsewhere, im the only Ram in a family full of Leeds. 

You be the team that has its pants pulled down and right royally rodgered by them back to back, you lose my love n affection in a nano second. 

Well done lads, and thanks for that. 

4 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Lampard has spent big on three players and only one of those could be considered anything like value for money so far.

Yes fair point. Mel has again spent some big money. Waghorn for some reason is warming the bench. Evans not really looking a championship player. Our defence needs drastic surgery without Davis and again we have no controling midfield player. To improve noticably will require quite significant outlay, but I for one would understand if the chairman decided to keep the cheque book under lock and key.

Those comments irked me a bit as well, but more because it sounded like he was looking for excuses. Hoping he doesn’t go down the Nigel Clough path of blaming everything on money. I know he’s had to deal with some tight budget restrictions due to other managers fuckwittery, but he’s still managed to bring in a fair few players and given our starting position, we should be showing some progress in style by now. He’s hardly blameless for wasting money either based on what we’ve seen of the 2.5 mil josefzoon and his refusal to use the 5 mil Waghorn. 

Can’t be blaming financials, he needs to get a grip and start coaching our defence some basic defensive organisation and the rets of our players how to pass and where to pass.

He’s telling it how it is to dampen expectation. It isn’t a fallacy, he has to sell to buy. He’s saddled with high earners who aren’t good enough anymore who need to leave to enable a rebuild. Rowett had the same constraints but still thought he could chase promotion with short term signings. Frank has made us competitive but with an eye on the future. He has a lot of talent as a manager, I’m sure he will go far in the game. If we still have at the end of his contract (2.5 years from now), we’ll be in the premier league. It could even happen this season though I’m not expecting it.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Those comments irked me a bit as well, but more because it sounded like he was looking for excuses. Hoping he doesn’t go down the Nigel Clough path of blaming everything on money. I know he’s had to deal with some tight budget restrictions due to other managers fuckwittery, but he’s still managed to bring in a fair few players and given our starting position, we should be showing some progress in style by now. He’s hardly blameless for wasting money either based on what we’ve seen of the 2.5 mil josefzoon and his refusal to use the 5 mil Waghorn. 

Can’t be blaming financials, he needs to get a grip and start coaching our defence some basic defensive organisation and the rets of our players how to pass and where to pass.

However we dress it up we have spent the third highest amount this season in the league- yes we had to sell to do it but we have spent about £15 million 

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

However we dress it up we have spent the third highest amount this season in the league- yes we had to sell to do it but we have spent about £15 million 

Leeds, Forest & Stoke have spent more than us. Villa have spent a similar amount.

Mel Morris said we broke even for the summer.

5 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Leeds, Forest & Stoke have spent more than us. Villa have spent a similar amount.

Mel Morris said we broke even for the summer.

We did break even in the summer - forest and stoke definitely spent more than us - leeds maybe a similar amount but we definitely spent a lot 

16 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He’s telling it how it is to dampen expectation. It isn’t a fallacy, he has to sell to buy. He’s saddled with high earners who aren’t good enough anymore who need to leave to enable a rebuild. Rowett had the same constraints but still thought he could chase promotion with short term signings. Frank has made us competitive but with an eye on the future. He has a lot of talent as a manager, I’m sure he will go far in the game. If we still have at the end of his contract (2.5 years from now), we’ll be in the premier league. It could even happen this season though I’m not expecting it.

Agree. But i don't think he is saying anything "to dampen expectation".

he's just telling the truth.

Why will FFP affect us more in future than now?

Players are amortised over the course of their contracts, therefore why a bigger hit this summer than last?

Additionally, the losses are calculated on a 3 year average so why will this bite us more in the future?

Archived