Lampard’s comments on January spending

Stedcfc

I’ve found it a bit frustrating how Lampard has come out saying we can’t compete with other teams and we’ll struggle to stay in the top 6 with other teams spending.

As much as this might be true I hardly think it puts the players in the mindset that they can go to Leeds and beat them away from home.

Anybody else feel like it’s killed the mood slightly when he didn’t need to do it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Gonna be worse in the summer when Butterfield, Johnson, Blackman, Nugent get realesed on frees, counting to a loss of 15mill towards FFP. Tough times ahead...

Why will it be worse?. Derby will have paid the outstanding transfer fees and won't be liable for their wages. 

I am not sure whether FFP is the problem or whether Mel wants to balance the books to sell. If the latter then surely a place in the Premier League with the resultant revenue that follows would be the best way to sell the club. Hence the need for some player investment whether by loan or permanent move.

32 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

I’ve found it a bit frustrating how Lampard has come out saying we can’t compete with other teams and we’ll struggle to stay in the top 6 with other teams spending.

As much as this might be true I hardly think it puts the players in the mindset that they can go to Leeds and beat them away from home.

Anybody else feel like it’s killed the mood slightly when he didn’t need to do it?

My biggest concern with it all is, why the hell go and spend all that money on Waghorn if there was to be no money to spend in January, utter madness.

I would imagine for all that money there could have been 2 or 3 players signed for a similar fee on jointly on a similar wage.

34 minutes ago, cymru said:

previous Poor managers get millions to spend on players and a brilliant manager in lampard get pittens  HOW WRONG HAVE YOU GOT IT MEL FGS SUPPORT THE MAN 

Lampard has spent big on three players and only one of those could be considered anything like value for money so far.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My biggest concern with it all is, why the hell go and spend all that money on Waghorn if there was to be no money to spend in January, utter madness.

I would imagine for all that money there could have been 2 or 3 players signed for a similar fee on jointly on a similar wage.

Fair comment that one but all purchases are gambles but Waghorn’s problem is a lack of pace linked with us signing holmes jo flo wilson and having Lawrence and using Bennett 

It is the situation, I'm sure Frank would love to get some CB and CM to re-enforce the team, but, we just have to make do. I have sympathy with him, but the manager's job is hard like that.

If we make the top 6 we've had a good season and if we don't have a meltdown until March I will believe Lampard is a very good manager.

We'll have to see how we deal in the summer to see where we are really at as a club. I've no problem with us not making many signings this window because we always seem to make bad ones.

1 hour ago, Stedcfc said:

What else would you say then if it is true? A blatant lie which will become apparent when no incoming transfers are forthcoming in January?

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It is the situation, I'm sure Frank would love to get some CB and CM to re-enforce the team, but, we just have to make do. I have sympathy with him, but the manager's job is hard like that.

If we make the top 6 we've had a good season and if we don't have a meltdown until March I will believe Lampard is a very good manager.

We'll have to see how we deal in the summer to see where we are really at as a club. I've no problem with us not making many signings this window because we always seem to make bad ones.

We do have a recent history of making expensive poor signings in January but we need to hold the ball up and take the pressure of our defence and despite what people think of him we own Chris Martin and we probably could get him back and with the like of wilson Mount Bryson and Marriott he could be a perfect foil - if we can’t afford signing then use what we own 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We do have a recent history of making expensive poor signings in January but we need to hold the ball up and take the pressure of our defence and despite what people think of him we own Chris Martin and we probably could get him back and with the like of wilson Mount Bryson and Marriott he could be a perfect foil - if we can’t afford signing then use what we own 

I would not be against it at all.

Martin and Marriott with mount or Wilson behind, Bogel and Lowe or Malone as wing backs.

1 hour ago, cymru said:

previous Poor managers get millions to spend on players and a brilliant manager in lampard get pittens  HOW WRONG HAVE YOU GOT IT MEL FGS SUPPORT THE MAN 

What are pittens? I assume you mean pittance.

I'm a fan of Lampard and really hopes he does well at Derby but I'm not sure you can describe him as a brilliant manager yet.

With regard to Mel, I'm not sure how much money he actually has or has spent on Derby (I know the figures are there somewhere) but you can't expect him to keep pumping money in especially during the January window when decent buys some to be a rarity and we still have a lot earners on our books Tell you what Cymru, lets have a whip round to raise some funds. Are you prepared to chip in a couple of hundred (I suspect you don't have the millions that Mel has).

i am fully in support of what Mel & Frank are trying to do with the finances , my challenge is with the pitiful level of battlers in the team , every single season since QPR @ Wembley ...There are very few (Keogh, Wisdom Bryson ) left from that day and whoever the personnel  has been since have followed the same pattern ...they dont show up when it really matters... 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. 

4 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. 

Most, if not all derby fans I spoke to at the time of signing Waghorn weren't too sure of the signing, he had done it at Rangers in a tin pot league and did it with Ipswich as the main man, but could he cut it at derby.

One thing most fans agreed with at the time was the fee was crazy.

I do wonder though if he was a Lampard signing or Chris Evans type signing, given his clear reluctance to play him.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Most, if not all derby fans I spoke to at the time of signing Waghorn weren't too sure of the signing, he had done it at Rangers in a tin pot league and did it with Ipswich as the main man, but could he cut it at derby.

I do wonder though if he was a Lampard signing or Chris Evans type signing, given his clear reluctance to play him.

Tbf, you might be onto something there, but we’ll never know the real rationale behind his signing- and who knows, with a proper run in the team, he might turn out to be a decent signing (admittedly, fee aside?).

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How much did we pay for Waghorn ? 

Just now, Inglorius said:

Undisclosed lol meant to be in the range of 4.5 to 5 million quid which is true so far is a poor piece of business

Incredibly poor. Incredibly stupid. Im going to stop writing more today. Im not know as an angry member but today im as peeved as any other time in supporting this club. 

Archived