Southampton vs Derby FA Cup 3rd Round Replay match thread

RadioactiveWaste

Wednesday 16th January,

St Mary's, live on BBC

Well, the best thing about last night is we've got a midweek game to help us move on from that ordeal.

Tips, tactics, team selection, predictions...

Personally, I think we should field the team that ended the first match, but I think we'll see a team similar to the one that started the Cup match.

This is the start of the crunch time for Lampard and the team, a spirited reaction is the least that can be expected.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go:

S. Carson

A. Wisdom    R. Keogh    F. Tomori    S. Malone

G. Evans    B. Johnson

M. Mount

D. Holmes    M. Waghorn    T. Lawrence

At the end of the day Waggy was brought here to play as a striker and has proved he can play there so we should give him a chance up top - particularly as we are lacking physicality up top (as much as I love Marriott). I also think two defensive midfielders will serve us better going forward as Bryson and Mount in midfield makes our midfield too lightweight. In my opinion a midfielder needs to be top of the list for the transfer window - we need one desperately. We need an absolute thug in the middle - maybe Louie Sibley? Heard he's quite the bulldog.

I just can’t be bothered to get up for this game after last nights poor showing. Few changes for me - Roos in goal, both full backs changed for Bogle and Malone, Waghorn on the right and Holmes moved central with Bryson dropping out. Marriott May need to rest but we just don’t offer the same threat with Nuge on his own up front

Roos

Bogle     Keogh     Wisdom     Malone

Tomori

Holmes       Mount

Josefzoon     Waghorn     Lawrence

Bench:   Mitchell Lowe Evans Bird Sibley Marriott Wilson

Try Tomori in the CDM role. No point in making Carson sit on the bench all night so give him the evening off. Same for Hudds.

Roos

whatever      Whoever      Wotsit     Doo Dah

Some bugger

Some bugger else       Thingummy

Could not              Really           Care less

We must use this as a free hit to try and recreate our earlier season creativity, fluidity and excitement. Win or lose it doesn’t really matter, no pressure and go for it

Roos

Bogle.           Keogh.     Tomori.     Malone

Hudds   

Mount.      Wilson 

waghorn.                                           Holmes

Marriott 

if malone not fit - Wisdom)

( if Wilson not fit - Lawrence) 

We can’t defend well, so must attack better, we have tried all our options at the back but alas none look stable, it’s so frustrating how players can put in great performances ala Wisdom against Norwich and Boro, then follows it up with the worst 45 mins in memory against Leeds. 

Roos

Wisdom    keogh     tomori      malone

Johnson        evans

Holmes

(wilson if fit if not lawrence as a free roll) 

Waggy  marriott

Lots of changes, but not cause it’s a cup match, more because the players who played on Friday don’t deserve to pull the shirt on until they man the duck up. Not that I’m expecting a change in personnel will make a jot of difference, it’s up to frank to actually get them playing and defending with some sort of plan, which he hasn’t managed in a while. Maybe we’ll see a resurgence after such a defeat, we bloody well should see a reaction if the players give a damn!

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone

Holmes Mount

Waghorn Marriott Wilson

Regardless of anything that’s our best team for playing some proper football instead of route one to Marriott, including Roos. We do well on Wednesday, that team starts Saturday. Simple as. I’ll be watching from uni the night before (and after for that matter) an exam, and I wanna see some proper football to cheer me up. Some decent passing, tackling, movement and organisation. That’s all we ask.

Id like to see a bit of a traditional 4 4 2 for this one 

Roos

Bogle.        Keogh.       Tomori.      Malone 

Johnson.     Evans 

Holmes                                            Josefzoon 

Waghorn.   Marriott 

Archived