Change of formation needed!

Derbylad92

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

442 may work for us 352 maybe even better for us because we simply don’t need our full backs currently and the defensive midfielder because they give us nothing and stop no one 

everyone who chose to criticise Forsyth think again 

It’s unbelievable how much we have missed Forsyth. He’s hardly an outstanding player, but he competes at both ends of the pitch and his all round game is more solid than the other 5000 (slight exaggeration) left backs we have.

47 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Its true but the last 4/5 games when he changes to 442 it helps us going forward marriott is just exposed every game when we play with 1 up top our midfield are far to deep 

It does seem to give us more of an attacking threat. Maybe switch to that plus a hell of a lot more training the basics and how to play when the opponent gives you no time on the ball. For years now we seem to let teams cut straight through us with no one near them yet once our player gets the ball, they're immediately surrounded.

4 minutes ago, goldstar said:

It does seem to give us more of an attacking threat. Maybe switch to that plus a hell of a lot more training the basics and how to play when the opponent gives you no time on the ball. For years now we seem to let teams cut straight through us with no one near them yet once our player gets the ball, they're immediately surrounded.

100% i totally agree we could get within 5 yards of them when they had the ball 

8 hours ago, goldstar said:

Bang on! If you can't pass, intercept and react quick to get the second ball, no amount of formation chopping and changing is going to help.

I've also noticed that we seem so bad at anticipating where the ball will land when it's up in the air/ using common sense to get into good positions to win the second ball and this means we're always on the back foot. I'm really bad at explaining it but it's like we are chasing shadows.

Correct. Leeds swarmed all over us and always seemed to have extra players...their shape was very dynamic and constantly in amoebic motion. They reminded me of trying to take an eel off my hook .....they just never stood still so you couldn’t get a hold. We got off lightly at 0-2. I’m very confident that Frank has had a lesson this week in how you need to be a manager - you have to hand it to El Loco...he is totally effective. 

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

3-5-2? 

Carson

Evans    Keogh    Tomori 

Holmes          Huddlestone        Malone

Wilson          Mount

Waghorn      Marriott 

Adds another defender, gets two up front and our best midfield.  A few noted that Holmes doesn’t score or assist enough, could be an option as a wing back.

Holmes as wingback - ludicrous . far too lightweight defensively. Evans as centre back - has he ever played this position ? 

Complete overreaction to Leeds performance. Greater stability in team selection and formation would be preferable.

35 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Holmes as wingback - ludicrous . far too lightweight defensively. Evans as centre back - has he ever played this position ? 

Complete overreaction to Leeds performance. Greater stability in team selection and formation would be preferable.

You don’t need to be good defensively as a wing back mate. Holmes wasn’t any worse than Wisdom yesterday when Holmes played at rb. It would actually get the most out of Malone too because he isn’t good defensively. England got to the World Cup semi final with Ashley Young as a wing back and Chelsea won the league with Victor Moses as a wing back. Holmes doesn’t score or assist enough to play in a front 3 at the moment but he’s too good to leave out of the team. 

And the Reading team under stam that reached the play off final played three at the back with Evans regularly dropping in at centre back. Evans doesn’t do enough at the moment to play at defensive mid. Tomori and Keogh are being dragged all over the place, another body at the back may help them.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Just too many changes each game for me. What was it 4 last night. Once that is settled, we will see more. If that means some pain, so be it. 

Correct @Angry Ram. And the stats back it up at Expermental 3-6-1: there is a +ve correlation between league position and teams who have used fewest players/named unchanged sides and yes Leeds and Norwich are amongst the most settled. 

2 hours ago, Edtheram said:

I would change to a 2 up top in Waghorn and Marriott. The 4-3-3 with a DM never works for us it’s always a “nearly” formation. But nothing will change unless we get a new back 5.

There’s a link between getting the midfield right and the rest of the team: once your engine works your brakes and accelerator follow suit so it is with attack and defence. Midfield is the catalyst to the other areas. Frank will get this right eventually...but not until next season. 

You can change the formation but the Midfield will still be the problem area. Sort that out and our defending and attacking will improve.

Sadly the only option I can see at the moment is to bring Johnson back in for Bryson, BJ would give us more presence in the middle of the park allowing us to win more of those 50/50’s we always seem to lose out on at the moment. He’d also give us a good ariel presence in that midfield allowing us to get the ball back higher up the park

Many people criticise BJ for his lack of passing abilty and they have a point, however at the moment our midfield struggle to pass to a teammate anyways.

It’s only a temporary solution until we can get a decent ball winning CM in help that midfield blend! As much as I like Hudds and Bryson I’m wondering if a BJ, Evans and Mount midfield could be more balanced 

As an aside I wonder if it’s time for mount to sit a couple of games out when Wilson’s fit

50 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Correct @Angry Ram. And the stats back it up at Expermental 3-6-1: there is a +ve correlation between league position and teams who have used fewest players/named unchanged sides and yes Leeds and Norwich are amongst the most settled. 

Be careful. Correlation doesn't mean causation. 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Correct. Leeds swarmed all over us and always seemed to have extra players...their shape was very dynamic and constantly in amoebic motion. They reminded me of trying to take an eel off my hook .....they just never stood still so you couldn’t get a hold. We got off lightly at 0-2. I’m very confident that Frank has had a lesson this week in how you need to be a manager - you have to hand it to El Loco...he is totally effective. 

There you go, you've nailed Frank's next team talk. 

"Right lads, I want you to swarm around in amoebic motion". 

Problem solved!

25 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Be careful. Correlation doesn't mean causation. 

Quite so. I happen to think that it reflects the underlying cause of having a good side. If you have a good side you tend to keep picking it. Ipswich too have used a low number of players this year...but look where they are. 

11 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

There you go, you've nailed Frank's next team talk. 

"Right lads, I want you to swarm around in amoebic motion". 

Problem solved!

Have you not read the latest FA coaching manual? Viz:

1. The corner

Attacking players should form an orderly bus queue on the penalty spot and jog up and down on the spot until the ball is deliver whereupon they should scatter like startled rooks. 

Huddlestone needs to be back in for Evans. Our good run started when he came on at QPR away and great results followed.

It doesn't work every time & I know he can be bypassed but he was key to most good things we did in October to December.

What's better, a player who can slow things down, pick a pass & allow the players ahead of him to wreak havoc or a player who can run around alot ?

I just think Leeds were far better than us in every position last night and it wasn't down to the formation - although I do prefer Nugent playing with Marriott as they seem to compensate for the other's weaknesses. If you actually look at their goals they were HUGELY fortunate and they didn't actually create that many chances - not that they didn't deserve to win - they did. However, Carson would normally catch that ball from the corner and the second goal was just misfortune in a ten second period. If it doesn't work against struggling teams such as Reading, Wigan and Millwall then it's time to worry and start thinking about a change. It is not the time to worry when we've just faced four of the top six and still remain in the playoffs with a 4 point cushion to 7th if the results stay the way they are.

4141 would be my choice.

withdraw the wingers into a grafting midfield role giving better protection to the full backs

be more compact.

effectively that is what Leeds played

As for huddz? Unless we can fluke a promotion we will have to get the wage bill down by £10m. 

Anyone on more than 20k per week should be sold or released.

Archived