Nuwtfly

David Nugent

33 minutes ago, Gritty said:

We've written down very little of transfer values in accounts in recent years (suggesting a number could be valued close to purchase price and certainly above zero; so when they leave we could record big losses)

You don't know that, at no point have any of us seen a breakdown of each individual players written down value.

33 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You don't know that, at no point have any of us seen a breakdown of each individual players written down value.

Not individual but the accounts show total write downs. And very little was written down.   Follow Kieran Maguire on twitter. He is a football finance expert and analysed our accounts

Edited by Gritty

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

Not individual but the accounts show total write downs. And very little was written down.   Follow Kieran Maguire on twitter. He is a football finance expert and analysed our accounts

He's also said we're not close on FFP.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I suspect Mrs Morris has said Melvyn you have now spent more than enough on that club of yours. I want a week away in Benidorm.

She is a bigger Derby fan than Mel is 😛

6 hours ago, Gritty said:

That'd be a silly thing to do. It risks taking massive losses on players in the last year of their contracts, with making a huge profit on a transfer or two the only way of offsetting it. 

I can't believe the club would be so daft. That said, loaning out our third choice centre back does look a bit desperate until we sign a replacement. The one helpful thing is that we get a few weeks at the end of the season  to flog players to redress the balance. Also, FA cup ties at PL grounds don't hurt. 

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

That'd be a silly thing to do. It risks taking massive losses on players in the last year of their contracts, with making a huge profit on a transfer or two the only way of offsetting it. 

I can't believe the club would be so daft. That said, loaning out our third choice centre back does look a bit desperate until we sign a replacement. The one helpful thing is that we get a few weeks at the end of the season  to flog players to redress the balance. Also, FA cup ties at PL grounds don't hurt. 

This method we use to value players isn't speculation.  It's fact.  It's in the accounts. It's highly unusual. It's also well known.  It's not a matter of 'belief'

Now whether the impact of it is enough to cause an FFP problem is not known.  That is speculation.  I speculate that it is causing a severe problem which is why we are desperate to off load and why FL says any ins at all are very difficult. 

8 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Yes the games against ManU and Chelsea probably bought in a million quid we didn't expect. Maybe another 250k for the TV game against Saints. 

To put it in perspective though... That'll pro ay cover the wages for Butterfield and Anya for 6 months. 

Yer, well we had a bunch of FFP 'experts' saying the same things last summer, as I recall. My feeling is that if Mel is saying FFP is not an issue then it's not. That has always been his stance and that's good enough for me. If it were so simple to look at our accounts and establish that we're on the brink of sanctions, I seriously doubt he'd suggest otherwise given our accounts are in the public domain. What Mel has said is that prior to 2020, he wants to reduce OPEX significantly and the bulk of that figures comprises of player wages. With this in mind, the most likely scenario is that without 'outs' this window, we'll not see many 'ins' which is a long way from predictions of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I'd also suggest that if we do have significant funds to spend right now that the last thing we'd do is broadcast the fact to the world and his brother. That'd be plain daft for reasons so obvious I can't be bothered to explain them - again! 

If Nugent was to be sold would you bring back Chris Martin as Hull are the ones to watch out for and Martin is now starting?

I think the club is playing it's cards close to it's chest as we've had our fingers burnt numerous times which may well be taking us close to ffp , i don't think MM and SP would let this happen.

15 minutes ago, falconram said:

If Nugent was to be sold would you bring back Chris Martin as Hull are the ones to watch out for and Martin is now starting?

I think the club is playing it's cards close to it's chest as we've had our fingers burnt numerous times which may well be taking us close to ffp , i don't think MM and SP would let this happen.

I’d bring him back anyway especially if we can’t afford additions 

If I were Chris Martin, having made his way into the Hull team now, I'd tell Derby to go whistle if they tried to bring me back early, unless it was for a permanent move.

He'll make no more of the filth we've served up Marriott recently, in fact he'd probably make less of it seeing as he's not going to run the channels relentlessly all game.

He used to gather in decent balls around the half way line, played from the back four, who always knew roughly where he'd be, lay it off and join in the attack after.

To me it looks like Hull have stumbled on the same formula, I've only seen highlights of their recent goals, but when the ball is put in by their wide player, Chris is always one of the last attackers arriving in the box, which suggests he's playing the same role.

When the goals come from less direct play, he's always in the thick of the action.