Nuwtfly

David Nugent

9 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Pretty sure Waghorn can play up top? not that desperate to replace.

If we can even get 250k - 500k for him its more than we will get in the summer? 

He comes on, runs about, and is largely ineffective. Yes he gets the odd assist, but in front of goal hes terrible. Hes cost us in both games against Boro with one on ones. Bottled the chance v Chelsea and missed a sitter v Bristol. 

We're not going to get a fee for a senior player with just a few months left on their contract. 

The best we can hope for, it's to use their wages on a better replacement. As previously said, Sam Winnal would be a good shout or preferably a punt on a good youngster. 

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

We're not going to get a fee for a senior player with just a few months left on their contract. 

The best we can hope for, it's to use their wages on a better replacement. As previously said, Sam Winnal would be a good shout or preferably a punt on a good youngster. 

Winnall was class however hes been injured all season, might aswell keep Nugent.

Love Nuge but I can't imagine we'll be offering him a new contract - It would only be respectful to let him go if someone else will offer him 18 months at this point - There's never any guarantee he'll get a contract offer anywhere in the summer

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure I agree with most people here. He’s been good off the bench recently, I’m not sure what more people expect from a back up forward.

I’m all for shifting players who aren’t getting a look in, but players that are getting minutes and performing, I’m not sure I agree with that. He also seems like a great character in the dressing room

He’s missed two sitters in two games, one a winner.  I know that much.

For saying he's in the same bracket as a "Proven Goalscorer" he's missed a fair few gilt edge chances. He's a squad player at best but I wouldn't mind if he moves on now. If we had the Nugent of 5-7 years ago then great, but he isn't the same player. 

Someone compared him to Billy Sharp, I would rather Billy Sharp all day and night. Nuge is a likeable guy and gives absolutely everything and I thank him and commend him for that but wouldn't mind him going. 

I still would like a different type of striker to what we currently have either a big ugly centre forward or a strong pacey player to come in. There has to be one out there. 

Edited by 'Rambe33

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Winnall was class however hes been injured all season, might aswell keep Nugent.

I don’t think we could say he was class - he was ok and yes I would take him again if fit as he would fit in with the energy levels of a lampard team and is more likely to nab a goal than nugent 

23 minutes ago, rynny said:

I have no idea what is meant by huge wages anymore ! What is apparent is that a lot of contracts given out by Sam Rush have crippled the living daylights out of us 

People going on about missing guilt edge chances but they forget how he can change the game when he comes on from the bench. 

Againsst Norwich we were out of it and then he plays a massive role in the equaliser at 3-3. 

Against Southampton we were out of it and then his shrewd movement opens up space for the likes of Marriott, Holmes and Lawrence. If Marriott hadn't missed that sitter he'd have set up the winner against Southampton. 

He'll be more difficult to replace than a lot of people think. He's still a wily and industrious player who contrinbutes even if his scoring touch has deserted him recently.

If he goes, who’s gonna start the bounce??? We have Waghorn who we spent 5 million on as a centre forward and who hasn’t had much of a chance due to Marriotts form. Surely he should be the back up striker/ winger and get a proper winger in. Holmes looks like he could be the answer on one wing ( very early days though). We have Wilson and Lawrence as make do wingers but both are better centrally. Josepzoon who looks totally out of his depth. An out and out wide man on loan, would be perfect if Nugent leaves 

2 hours ago, Topram said:

We won’t let him go, he effects our games in a different way to how he used too, he’s lost his touch in the way he scores goals but he’s comes on and chasers putting defenders under pressure, if we can replace him with someone who comes on and will score a few then yes otherwise keep him us!

Isn't that what Connor Sammon used to do, chase defenders but not score? But as you say, we should only let Nugent go if an adequate replacement is brought in.

Bit of a tough one to call. Going to be hard to be hard to replace him with quality in January when we’re looking at exclusively loans.

However, while I like Nuge but I think he’s genuinely cost us points this season. Is he still reliable?

Off the top of my head, he’s missed a sitter at Boro (A) just before they equalised, missed a header from a couple yards out against Bristol (H) and then messed up that brilliant chance against Boro (H) in the last ten minutes. That was the worst one, running onto it with time and the keeper at his mercy.

It’s harsh to say he’s cost us points but he’s supposed to be the veteran striker. If there’s one player you should be counting on to finish those chances it’s David Nugent and if he doesn’t have that finishing ability anymore then it’s hard to argue it’s worth having him around.

He’s realistically coming on for the last 20 minutes when we need a goal and, right now, I’m not really convinced if the chance falls to him that he’s going to take it.

Unfortunately, I think the best time to get rid of him probably was the summer. I wouldn’t be too happy about him leaving right now because he might be able to rediscover some form. You’d hardly be surprised if he was average for the rest of the season and then bagged us a crucial winner in the play-off’s.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Winnall would be high risk. If we took him on loan again or even on a permanent what happens if he breaks down after the window's closed? We're banjaxed!

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I have no idea what is meant by huge wages anymore ! What is apparent is that a lot of contracts given out by Sam Rush have crippled the living daylights out of us 

Maybe Nixon meant he is on 'Nuge' wages

10 minutes ago, Doodle said:

If he goes, who’s gonna start the bounce??? We have Waghorn who we spent 5 million on as a centre forward and who hasn’t had much of a chance due to Marriotts form. Surely he should be the back up striker/ winger and get a proper winger in. Holmes looks like he could be the answer on one wing ( very early days though). We have Wilson and Lawrence as make do wingers but both are better centrally. Josepzoon who looks totally out of his depth. An out and out wide man on loan, would be perfect if Nugent leaves 

I can step in and start the bounce at half the money.

I wonder if we’re looking at Curtis at Pompey?