David Nugent

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, Topram said:

We won’t let him go, he effects our games in a different way to how he used too, he’s lost his touch in the way he scores goals but he’s comes on and chasers putting defenders under pressure, if we can replace him with someone who comes on and will score a few then yes otherwise keep him us!

Isn't that what Connor Sammon used to do, chase defenders but not score? But as you say, we should only let Nugent go if an adequate replacement is brought in.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a tough one to call. Going to be hard to be hard to replace him with quality in January when we’re looking at exclusively loans.

However, while I like Nuge but I think he’s genuinely cost us points this season. Is he still reliable?

Off the top of my head, he’s missed a sitter at Boro (A) just before they equalised, missed a header from a couple yards out against Bristol (H) and then messed up that brilliant chance against Boro (H) in the last ten minutes. That was the worst one, running onto it with time and the keeper at his mercy.

It’s harsh to say he’s cost us points but he’s supposed to be the veteran striker. If there’s one player you should be counting on to finish those chances it’s David Nugent and if he doesn’t have that finishing ability anymore then it’s hard to argue it’s worth having him around.

He’s realistically coming on for the last 20 minutes when we need a goal and, right now, I’m not really convinced if the chance falls to him that he’s going to take it.

Unfortunately, I think the best time to get rid of him probably was the summer. I wouldn’t be too happy about him leaving right now because he might be able to rediscover some form. You’d hardly be surprised if he was average for the rest of the season and then bagged us a crucial winner in the play-off’s.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

We're not going to get a fee for a senior player with just a few months left on their contract. 

The best we can hope for, it's to use their wages on a better replacement. As previously said, Sam Winnal would be a good shout or preferably a punt on a good youngster. 

Winnall would be high risk. If we took him on loan again or even on a permanent what happens if he breaks down after the window's closed? We're banjaxed!

10 minutes ago, Doodle said:

If he goes, who’s gonna start the bounce??? We have Waghorn who we spent 5 million on as a centre forward and who hasn’t had much of a chance due to Marriotts form. Surely he should be the back up striker/ winger and get a proper winger in. Holmes looks like he could be the answer on one wing ( very early days though). We have Wilson and Lawrence as make do wingers but both are better centrally. Josepzoon who looks totally out of his depth. An out and out wide man on loan, would be perfect if Nugent leaves 

I can step in and start the bounce at half the money.

I wonder if we’re looking at Curtis at Pompey?

38 minutes ago, rynny said:

For a chap who seems to think he knows about football you'd think Nixon would know that generally when a player is 33 and approaching the end of his contract he will consider a LOWER wage than he's currently on... Can't imagine Nuge is strapped for cash so the enticement of a couple more years at a decent level at a club he has a history with would be enough to play for - He's never struck me as a mercenary

When we signed Darren Bent he was 31 and I'm pretty sure we didn't pay him the reported £65k per week he was on at Villa...

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

For a chap who seems to think he knows about football you'd think Nixon would know that generally when a player is 33 and approaching the end of his contract he will consider a LOWER wage than he's currently on... Can't imagine Nuge is strapped for cash so the enticement of a couple more years at a decent level at a club he has a history with would be enough to play for - He's never struck me as a mercenary

When we signed Darren Bent he was 31 and I'm pretty sure we didn't pay him the reported £65k per week he was on at Villa...

Speculation at the time was around 25k per week for Bent.

Alan Nixon doesn’t half talk some balls, does he honestly think Nugent will demand the same wages he had when he joined us 2 years ago? And regardless I didn’t think Pompey were impoverished anymore, aren’t they owned by some American bloke to do with Disney? In their position I’d think they might throw around a bit more money on short term deals especially.

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Alan Nixon doesn’t half talk some balls, does he honestly think Nugent will demand the same wages he had when he joined us 2 years ago? And regardless I didn’t think Pompey were impoverished anymore, aren’t they owned by some American bloke to do with Disney? In their position I’d think they might throw around a bit more money on short term deals especially.

853E8777-D7E9-4027-A2C5-96F55C559A94.gif

31 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I would keep him I do not see the point in letting him go, he is a positive influence on and off the field 

I suspect we are looking like breaching FFP quite a bit this year (on wages alone we would have breached last year if it wasn't for net inflow of transfer fee income and we have transfer value wrtie-downs this year too)

I suspect we are trying to severely curtail the wage bill and hoping to get a more lenient punishment (i.e. not start next year with a points reduction but maybe just a transfer embargo)

13 hours ago, Gritty said:

I suspect we are looking like breaching FFP quite a bit this year (on wages alone we would have breached last year if it wasn't for net inflow of transfer fee income and we have transfer value wrtie-downs this year too)

I suspect we are trying to severely curtail the wage bill and hoping to get a more lenient punishment (i.e. not start next year with a points reduction but maybe just a transfer embargo)

Yes, you are right I fear. And it's probably because we couldn't offload any of the high earners in the Summer. Remember the special friendly that was set up to showcase Thorne, Butterfield etc.? But no takers. 

We may find ourselves offering new reduced contracts to the likes of Johnson and Butterfield to stage off the big FFP loss. Similar to the way we did for Robbie Savage. 

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Yes, you are right I fear. And it's probably because we couldn't offload any of the high earners in the Summer. Remember the special friendly that was set up to showcase Thorne, Butterfield etc.? But no takers. 

We may find ourselves offering new reduced contracts to the likes of Johnson and Butterfield to stage off the big FFP loss. Similar to the way we did for Robbie Savage. 

I've not checked so I could be wrong, but Robbie Savage was surely pre FFP. Savage was just a good player for us when we had a lower end of the championship side and clearly Nigel Clough rated him as Savage did say Clough saved his career. 

Archived