David Nugent

Nuwtfly

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If Nugent goes, along with Bryson and Pearce, then I find it hard to believe that it’ll be a quiet window in terms of incomings.

Might be that a few come in towards the end of the window once we have shifted quite a few out. I would rather bring a couple of quality loans in who will improve what we already have.

We will find out if there is any mileage in this this month but on paper it looks very sensible by Portsmouth if they can afford to offer him a 18 month contract ( would we ask for a fee?)

at this rate we will try to recall Martin - could be intresting 

Would be a brave call to let Nugent go without replacement imo. If we’re selling him to raise funds to bring in a new attacker then I’m all for it, given he’s aging and on high wages, and looks past his best now. But we do need to replace him, we’ll be getting very thin all of a sudden if he does as well, be a great charectar missed as well.

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Playing devil's advocate here but the Mirror doesn't actually say Pompey are interested, just that we need to free up funds to buy players in. 

So when they say "Could return to Portsmouth this month." you see it as pulling a random club out of a hat to make the point that it is possible that he could leave? ? 

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We will find out if there is any mileage in this this month but on paper it looks very sensible by Portsmouth if they can afford to offer him a 18 month contract ( would we ask for a fee?)

at this rate we will try to recall Martin - could be intresting 

My heart just skipped a beat 

Not sure I agree with most people here. He’s been good off the bench recently, I’m not sure what more people expect from a back up forward.

I’m all for shifting players who aren’t getting a look in, but players that are getting minutes and performing, I’m not sure I agree with that. He also seems like a great character in the dressing room

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Might be that a few come in towards the end of the window once we have shifted quite a few out. I would rather bring a couple of quality loans in who will improve what we already have.

Quality loans make sense on a couple of fronts. It strengthens a squad depleting in numbers if the rumours about Bryson and Nugent are concerned but will also get us through to the summer window, by which time a number of players' contracts are up, freeing up fairly substantial wages for re-investment either in the loans (If they prove successful) or securing new targets.

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure I agree with most people here. He’s been good off the bench recently, I’m not sure what more people expect from a back up forward.

I’m all for shifting players who aren’t getting a look in, but players that are getting minutes and performing, I’m not sure I agree with that. He also seems like a great character in the dressing room

I think hes a great character and hes performed OK.

But its possible FL still hasnt hit his target regarding the reduction of the wage bill, and eventually you run out of players who are pure deadwood to get rid of to that end - you have to start letting people who have some use go, if they're not critical to the team.

11 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

To not miss two of the easiest chances you'll ever hope to have, potentially costing us 4 points in the process.

He's a good guy, obviously tries very hard and is good for the dressing room. However, his usefulness is fast leaving him. So, hopefully we can free up the wages to someone who can contribute more on the pitch. Wish him all the best, and would happily offer him the job as Rammie when he does retire.

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agreed, but we would still give ourselves a lot of work to do in the summer in terms of replacing up to 5 loan players. As good as three have been for us this season, that’s the downside. We can’t rely on loans as a long-term plan, it’s a way that a team’s overall quality fluctuates so much from season to season.

Regardless of opinions on the players individually though, letting players such as Nugent and Bryson go would be more good work from Lampard in trying to build a younger squad with a smaller wage bill.

Archived