Craig Bryson - signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

LB_DCFC

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

My take on Bryson's FFP valuation.

450k plus agents fees(X2), based on his extension. Add on 45k agents fees based on his fee, 18k for his original contract, based on a 3yr 5k a week deal, and 500k based on his 5 year extension at 20k a week. That makes total asset value of £950,000 give or take at the start of his extension, no idea if any loan fee received would offset this, so I'll leave  it out.

I've looked but I can't find any reliable independent up to date guidance on how clubs should manage carrying value

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/03/2019 at 12:37, BondJovi said:

I think the positives for Johnson far outweigh the negatives for what we currently need. Yes he does the give the ball away but mostly in attempting to be positive. He has had many good games for us. That run under Mac2 as dm was immense. He had some great games earlier on this season and has been vital to digging us out of this poor form the last two games.

The problem is Bryson just does the simple these days, he won't give the ball away because he never plays a risky pass. But these passes don't achieve anything because when the space does open up, he can't turn and move it forward. I find Bryson far more frustrating.

In too many games you could fail to notice Bryson on the pitch, but not in a good way. You pretty much always know Johnson is there, his failings become obvious because he tries to impose himself on the game.

Neither are the long term solution to our midfield. And I don't think either will be here next season. But on performances this season, Johnson is the far more likely to get a new deal.

We have a great chance this summer to finally rework our midfield, it would be foolish to let nostalgia get in the way.

Brysons problem is that we don’t have the focal point we once had that allowed his endless running to have some point to them 

His goals return is testament to that

I don’t know the figures but we get reliably told of the yardage he still covers by frank etc etc so it’s not a fitness issue 

the way we play now with a mobile frontman ( in the main) trying to run in behind or into the channels doesn’t allow him or other midfielders the time to get up and around a target man that allows it to stick and bring them into play 

thats just football 

23 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Brysons problem is that we don’t have the focal point we once had that allowed his endless running to have some point to them 

His goals return is testament to that

I don’t know the figures but we get reliably told of the yardage he still covers by frank etc etc so it’s not a fitness issue 

the way we play now with a mobile frontman ( in the main) trying to run in behind or into the channels doesn’t allow him or other midfielders the time to get up and around a target man that allows it to stick and bring them into play 

thats just football 

Well said, it also sums up our attacking particularly at home when teams sit back and leave no space and in many ways shows itself by the lack of many Marriott goals at home 

On 12 March 2019 at 00:29, TommyPowel said:

Hence the vegan sausage roll?

I had one from the new Greg's next to Screwfix.

it was very nice and only cost £1!

as for craig. Love him to bits. Derby legend. But time to move on.

On 21/03/2019 at 20:37, Simon Bradley said:

Sky sports whispers has him going to rangers 

I'd be more than happy with this.

For supporters of a certain age, myself Included, Craig is a legend and has always worn his heart on his sleeve, but I feel his time has come.

Rangers is a huge club and would be a great opportunity for him.

Mentioned it in another thread, but I don’t think Lampard’s done him any favours. 

He’s been deployed in the linking role all season despite the fact he can only play the way he’s facing. 

He’s still churning out 12-14km a game, stick him in as the midfield runner and see what’s he’s got in his proper role.

10 hours ago, cannable said:

He’s still churning out 12-14km a game

This is what I thought too - But people keep saying "he doesn't have the legs any more"

It feels like he's been playing the role McClaren1 asked him to play in that second season - Deeper when we'd lost Thorne - Let Hughes/Hendrick play the more advanced role because he had to help out with defensive work more

I don’t think Bryson’s lost his legs but he’s consistently late to 50/50’s, can’t pick up a loose ball the same way he used to. He’s still really good at picking up the ball on the move and keeping a hold of it but he’s just not as sharp as he once was.

Got a decent football brain on him, I think that keeps him afloat but he’s never going to have a prominent role in a top championship side again so I doubt you’ll ever see him reach his top level of performance again. Are you really going to play him closest to the striker over Mount or Holmes?

13 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Are you really going to play him closest to the striker over Mount or Holmes?

I think that's the killer and why you've probably converted me on losing him - In one simple sentence

Holmes (for me) is the future of our box-to-box midfield position - We then need someone who can tackle and someone who can be a playmaker - The Huddlestone/Johnson combo is a stop-gap - Could Huddlestone and Evans do it maybe? Or one of the younger lads like Bird?

I think you lose too much of Bryson playing him deep, but he's not the long term answer further forwards either

Okay fine - I've been arguing give him another year for months now but you're right - We have to let him go ? 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Oh dear. Wrong decision there Frank. Not good enough.

7 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Rather give Johnson a new deal on reduced terms to be honest. Brysons legs have gone. Great servant, but time to move on. 

Perhaps with Shinnie behind him he will prosper again in a more advanced role? Probably wouldn't be an automatic starter, but I don't see him as totally finished yet.

I was looking forward to moving on from Bryson and Johnson. Bryson has been a great servant for the club, but I feel central midfield is where we’ve been weakest this season.

Archived