Craig Bryson - signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

LB_DCFC

We’re going to see another squad overhaul this summer. If he agrees to a big reduction in wages it makes perfect sense if we stay down. It’s one less transfer fee to replace, he plays the way frank wants to play and has the energy and he’s a great mentor to younger players. 

If we go up, it also makes sense, gives a club legend a chance to be part of the premier league and if it doesn’t work out and he wants to play then we’d get a fee for him probably similar to what we paid (about £450k). It’s a win win.

I think both Huddlestone and Johnson will be moved on this summer.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose you have to think how much exactly a 32-year old player would get playing at a mid to lower table Scottish Premiership club. Craig would be taking a big drop in wages anyway, going up to Scotland, and I think if you offered him the same amount of money to play for us as someone like Hearts would be able to pay him, I'm sure he'd rather stay here on less money.

If he stays, we're not moving on.

He offers very little now - he's slow and spends his time fouling (or trying to foul players) to make up for the fact he often gets beaten.

If he chipped in with a few more gaols this season then I could have maybe accepted it, but he hasn't.

He's not a top six player. I appreciate the memories, especially 4-5 years ago, but keeping him because he could potentially do a job doesn't actually help us really. Just means we're more likely to lose gams!

3 hours ago, JfR said:

I suppose you have to think how much exactly a 32-year old player would get playing at a mid to lower table Scottish Premiership club. Craig would be taking a big drop in wages anyway, going up to Scotland, and I think if you offered him the same amount of money to play for us as someone like Hearts would be able to pay him, I'm sure he'd rather stay here on less money.

I wouldn’t take a penny, rather pay Derby myself to avoid being shipped off to Scotland 

A new deal for Bryson? Taking the piss? Lovely bloke and as I said in another thread a proper club hero who deserves a good reception when he leaves. But that time is now. He’s done nowt of note this year and just hides away these days, has no impact anymore. At his age with his contract up it seems the perfect time to say thank you and goodbye. Extending his contract would just serve to ruin his rep here as he just depletes further and further. Reduced wages at his age obviously with the promotion wage rise all fair enough in a contract if he was the right player to give one at his age, but he’s not. Let him go back up north imo, he doesn’t seem short of suitors. We need better and to replace him, move him on and get someone younger in that midfield area, he’s done at this level.

4 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Do you think we will offer BJ a new contract?

No, think Shinnie has taken his spot already.

As for Bryson, think @Millenniumram pretty much summed it up. It's just time. Thanks for everything Bryson, bit of a club hero of more recent times but being able to run all day doesn't mean you can still influence games or add to the team anymore. Staying longer will only tarnish all the great memories. Wish him all the luck in the world, just not here.

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We need better and to replace him, move him on and get someone younger in that midfield area, he’s done at this level.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thanks for everything Bryson, bit of a club hero of more recent times but being able to run all day doesn't mean you can still influence games or add to the team anymore. 

I tell you what guys - When you're the manager you can make that decision - Lampard seems to think he still adds something to the side since 1) he picked him a lot and 2) he seems to have offered him a new contract

Interesting that a guy who played CM until well past the age Bryson is still thinks the guy has something to offer at this level yet he's getting panned by a load of people on here - I suspect Lampard would have loved playing with someone like Bryson - An unselfish workhorse who makes space, creates passing opportunities and cleans up after everyone else

Might as well give him a 2 year deal on reduced terms, at least if he wasn't playing, we could sell him for a little bit of money?

We can't keep paying him 20k-25k a week if we're in this division next season.

21 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I tell you what guys - When you're the manager you can make that decision - Lampard seems to think he still adds something to the side since 1) he picked him a lot and 2) he seems to have offered him a new contract

Well if you're not on a forum to give an opinion, then what are you here for?

We can be wrong, Lord knows I'm wrong a lot, but I can also be right too. Lampard gets paid to make the ultimate decision, and whatever that decision is, we have no bearing on that whatsoever - none of us do. I can give my opinion based on what I've watched over the past several seasons of Bryson though, as you are entitled to.

53 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well if you're not on a forum to give an opinion, then what are you here for?

I'm pretty sure I did give an opinion - It revolved around the theme of "You know nothing Jon Snow" ?

54 minutes ago, Srg said:

We can be wrong, Lord knows I'm wrong a lot, but I can also be right too. Lampard gets paid to make the ultimate decision, and whatever that decision is, we have no bearing on that whatsoever - none of us do. I can give my opinion based on what I've watched over the past several seasons of Bryson though, as you are entitled to.

I'm not knocking your right to have an opinion - I'm just suggesting to you (and many others on here) that there are a lot of things we don't see as fans which managers/coaches/players do see with their experience of the game - It's why Gary Neville made such a noise as a pundit on Sky Sports, because he constantly pointed out things that the layman fan wouldn't

More young, perhaps very young players coming through into squad so we need a few veterans to balance it up. Shift u18s into u23s and use a few ringers to keep in division. No greater motivation for u23s than u18s breathing down their necks to get their places.

On 08/05/2019 at 11:00, StivePesley said:

Is it me or does it make no sense to offer him a new deal should we get promoted?? Is he a Premier League standard player (at this stage of his career)?

was about to make the same point Stive - doesn't make sense to me to be entering into any contractual commitments until we know what division we are in UNLESS the player is putting an ultimatum to us....at which point it is a risk call.

Depends a bit on the thinking, if hes looking to do his coaching badges and be around because he's good influence on the club/squad on much reduced wages but not really playing that much, then I can see it. If he just wants to play as much as he can for the rest of his career, I can see him moving back to Kille (or possibly a low championship club where he'd play a decent amount).

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

was about to make the same point Stive - doesn't make sense to me to be entering into any contractual commitments until we know what division we are in UNLESS the player is putting an ultimatum to us....at which point it is a risk call.

We can’t say he can’t do it in the premiership ( we are not there yet ) but games vs Man United away and Southampton away this season showed that he most certainly can play very well against premiership teams and as is very obvious if one of the best midfielders in recent years (lampard) wants to keep Bryson then we really should do if we can sensibly afford to.

Makes no sense at all to offer a new deal imo, the longer he stays the more he will ruin his legendary status at the club.

His whole game was dowm tp his workrate & box to box running but he just cant do it any more. Stoke away will always stand out in my mind fpr what sums up Bryson this season...1st half, running after a ball but then stops & gives up the chase even thoigh he could have got to it.

Time to move on and bring through the youth & look at the lower leagues for a gem like Holmes

Its amazing how fans demand loyalty from players but they have no hesitation to clamber for a player to go because in their opinion he is no longer up to the job at his age,instead of relying on a managers judgment.Yet theres not many comments regards Huddlestone who is the same age.personally I hope that Bryson is offered one more year with maybe coaching jobs in the future?

Archived