Craig Bryson - signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

LB_DCFC

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

A £350,000 player has produced plenty goals, assists and one of the most memorable moments I've witnessed as a fan, a hat trick against the Red Dogs.

That's a lot more than the circa £15,000,000 spent on midfielders who have walked through them Moor Farm doors since.

Give that man a new deal!

Agree he has done a lot of us since coming in, but it is probably time he moved on. He deserves a lot of respect from Derby for his efforts and commitment to the club. Possibly legendary status for his hatty against forest and all the important goals he scored. 

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

These comments annoy me - you can't take away his goals - you have to include everything....but what everyone should look at is what he offers now....

I'm not sticking up for Craig Bryson - he offers absolutely nothing now and we should be saying thank you for your time but we're moving on.

As for the poster who suggested offering him a new contract because we don't have many midfielders - No No No. FL should have players he thinks are good enough. If he does think Bryson is good enough (Which I'm sure he doesn't as a new contract would have been on the table by now and I am assuming it isn't) then fair enough but we should be aiming for top six - IMO Bryson is nowhere near this now.

I wasn't suggesting we expunge his goals from the record books.  But once he got the new contract when Burnley sniffing around, and he stopped scoring with any regularity he's been pretty much useless.  He regressed into being like Paul Green...

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

Have we been given a transfer embargo?

Yep - It's called 'having no money' ? 

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I wasn't suggesting we expunge his goals from the record books.  But once he got the new contract when Burnley sniffing around, and he stopped scoring with any regularity he's been pretty much useless.  He regressed into being like Paul Green...

I get frustrated with this argument about Bryson and/or midfielders in general - It's not all about scoring goals for a midfield engine

Johnson on Saturday for example looked shattered by 70 mins - As did Holmes - But even at his age Bryson has still been haring round like a headless chicken well into injury time in most games - That's an important quality in a box to box CM

I always like to show people this - It's what the International Centre for Sports Studies use to judge the qualities of a player - Only 2 out of the 6 are to do with scoring and assisting goals - And for me Bryson still delivers on the other 4

image.png.02bccd8d5ebfa68db411d36258c988df.png

Not sure how anyone can defend Bryson this season. He has been very poor. We had to have a very specific set up to get the best out of Bryson. We aren't playing that way anymore and he can't do the job asked of him. Is it much surprise that our play has started to get a bit more speed back in now Bryson is out.

As for the above... Aside from the Recovery, I can't say he does any of those anymore. The only thing he is swift at is passing the buck.

People need to move on from 13/14. Let us give him a good send off and onto the next chapter.

Johnson has been the far better midfield option this season.

Call me a sentimental old fool, but I'd keep Bryson around the club for as long as he can walk.  He clearly isn't the player he was and logic dictates that he probably wouldn't/ shouldn't play that often.  But sod logic. He is my favourite current player and one of my most favourite of all my years of watching.  When he goes, there will be a little ?from me.

18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yep - It's called 'having no money' ? 

I get frustrated with this argument about Bryson and/or midfielders in general - It's not all about scoring goals for a midfield engine

Johnson on Saturday for example looked shattered by 70 mins - As did Holmes - But even at his age Bryson has still been haring round like a headless chicken well into injury time in most games - That's an important quality in a box to box CM

I always like to show people this - It's what the International Centre for Sports Studies use to judge the qualities of a player - Only 2 out of the 6 are to do with scoring and assisting goals - And for me Bryson still delivers on the other 4

image.png.02bccd8d5ebfa68db411d36258c988df.png

Distribution - 10 yards to the side or back aren't too taxing so I'll give you that.

Recovery -  His engines gone from a 3.2 ltr bi turbo to a 1.4 ltr DCI, nowhere near as zippy.

Take on - Mmmm never been his game has it.

Rigour - Partially.  Even in his best days for us, he wasn't exactly a strong tackler.

Effective in his day, but not anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.  Thanks for the memories, he's your gold watch, try not to let the door hit you on the arse on the way out...

28 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

.....But even at his age Bryson has still been haring round like a headless chicken well into injury time in most games - That's an important quality in a box to box CM....

The problem he's had over the past few seasons is that for all the "haring round like a headless chicken", a headless chicken is exactly what he's looked like - and the majority of the time, he's arriving a yard after the ball has moved on - I remember commenting after one particularly bad game that the closest he got top the ball in the whole match was when an opposition player accidently hit him with a pass.....

Bryson will go down in our history as a good (at times great) player who gave his all for the team - unfortunately, he simply doesn't seem able to deliver the level of performance he once could (and that's not just occassionally, but the majority of the time) - so that says it's time for him to move on with our thanks and best wishes...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Distribution - 10 yards to the side or back aren't too taxing so I'll give you that.

Distribution isn't just about passing the ball - it's also about receiving - Being in the right spaces, making yourself available as another option - Which Bryson still does better than almost anyone (Holmes is close) - Most of our other players want to ball passing to them wherever they are - Bryson makes himself available for the easy ball every time which opens up space

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Recovery -  His engines gone from a 3.2 ltr bi turbo to a 1.4 ltr DCI, nowhere near as zippy.

Doesn't matter when his engine is still better than any of our other CMs - Ronaldo isn't as good as he was but he's still better than almost anyone else...

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Take on - Mmmm never been his game has it.

Again - look at the words they use - Bryson still pushes into the box, out to the wing, goes past people into space without a defender tracking him - The number of times he's the overlap to the touchline is astounding for a CM

14 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Rigour - Partially.  Even in his best days for us, he wasn't exactly a strong tackler.

Oddly I actually think the one good thing Warnock ever did for us make Bryson a bit tougher - I'd argue that his timing is sometimes a little off - But then I sometimes think he does that a little on purpose - And he knows exactly when to take a yellow for the team to stop a breakaway

Do I think Bryson is the long term answer? No

Do I think we'll have to spend a decent fee on someone to replace him? Yes

£35k x 52 weeks = £1.82m - Can we get someone for less than that? I don't think so hence I'd give him another year

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Johnsons been here 4 years and had about 15 decent games .  Half of those were in the first 10 matches .   Bryson has not been the same player since the injury in 2015 .  But I would never say his output has been worse than Johnsons.

I take it that he was only “decent” for 45 minutes in a couple of games then!

10 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Having hardly any central midfielders contracted for next season we would be foolish not to offer Bryson a new contract but obviously it would need to reflect his age and wouldn’t be near what he is getting currently - would we use him next season - definitely I believe  

I really don't think not having many central midfielders contracted for next season is a good reason to offer a contract to a current one.

We could get some more midfielders.

Seeing as midfield is the biggest problem area for the team and none of the permutations (except maybe when Mount is fit who won’t be here next season) seem to work we have to make space for more players next year.

Dont really understand FFP well, but if we were going to extend a contract of either Bryson or Johnson, keeping the one with the highest residual sales value makes the most sense I think, which is probably Johnson.

Then replace Bryson with a new up and coming with something to prove.

49 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You know how it works, right?

No i dont know how it works we are supposed to be extremely close to breaching  FFP rules.And to think that Mel Morris will breach it on another whim buy isnt on.So yes we may be about to buy a midfielder.who  will he be better that Bryson i doubt it

14 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Thank God for that.  He's been living off the 13/14 season ever since.  Take away his goals and you're left with a very average midfielder.

Another player give the 'Russell Treatment', whereby if you run around a lot fans will forgive the fact you're only productive for one game out of five...

How can you say take away his goals So should we take all players goals away before making a judgement?  of course not.Bryson has been here 8 seasons in this day and age it might be considered  trivial.But loyalty deserves praise not just shrugged off as tho he was some sort of 1 season wonder.

Archived